Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, it's more likely due to the abusive environment in which she was raised, and their very strict Jehovah's Witness upbringing. Apparently Michael and LaToya are pretty shy as well.
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Since Jester asked - the naked local celebrity thing.

I was in the changing room at the YMCA when in walked Helene Duhamel of the KOTA/Duhamel Broadcasting family all wet and naked. Now I am very near-sighted so she was more of the fuzzy, naked person shape but I recognized her voice. The second time I met her naked she was trying to get her daughter's locker open and she asked me to try. So I did and then held the key up, squinted at it and told her that she had the wrong one. Turns out it was her son's key and she had to get a towel and ask a staff member to go get her son so that they could exchange keys. This was before the Y remodeled to the family locker rooms.

Helene used to sit do the news, then she started up this "Health Watch" thing after she had cancer.

I don't watch KOTA News often because they refused to give my brother a deferrment so that he could get the Denver channels. My bro's home is up above Lead, so the local reception sucks so he has a dish. He can't pull in any of the local channels off the air so they gave him a deferrment and the satelite company opens the Denver channels. KOTA refuses to do this so he doesn't get ABC at all.
      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Tina Yothers went to my high school

Danny Ponce was in a junior high science class with my sister.

Comment

Davy Jones (ex-Monkee) lives in our neck o' the Pennsylvania woods. He shows up shopping at the local Wal-Mart now and then, just a regular fella. He's lunched at the Wal-Mart McDonald's when he shops, used to see him when our company still had a kiosk tucked between McDonald's and the bathrooms. Many of the ladies who work there have handwritten notes from him in black marker on their vests. Apparently a very nice guy, though I never talked to him - felt it was kind of rude to accost him when he was selecting his unmentionables.

Comment

I guess this isn't so much a sucky celebrity customer story, just a regular sucky celebrity.
            My mother was president of the PTA at my high school a couple years ago - I graduated in '02, but I have two younger brothers who were both still in high school at the time. One of her tasks was to help select and invite an alum to speak at graduation. As most of you probably know, it's considered a privilege to be asked and most people would accept the invitation graciously. The speaker at my graduation was General Richard Myers, who said he was very much honored to have been chosen. Graduation pics at my school are usually taken of each student as he/she steps off the stage after receiving his or her diploma...but all 350+ students in my class have a photo of themselves shaking hands with General Myers on stage. Obviously, he isn't the SC I'm referring to.
            The speaker my mother was attempting to get for graduation one year was none other than Dr. Phil McGraw. He was uninterested, to say the least. Instead of politely declining (he could have at least said he just wasn't available), he basically let my mother and the rest of the PTA/staff involved that the very suggestion that he would come to Kansas at speak at a high school was insulting(despite the fact that it's the high school HE graduated from), and that for him to even consider it he would not only need all travel expenses for him and his entourage covered (including 5 star hotels and restaurants) but he would need to be paid a very LARGE sum of money as well. I don't know how much he asked for, but it clearly wasn't even a serious request considering that he was making this demand of a public high school. He was just being nasty for the hell of it...my mother has said that he was very rude and condescending in general to everyone he spoke to about it. However, his snotty comments were retaliated against...he was basically told that he should be ashamed of himself, and due to his disgusting attitude, that he would NEVER be welcome to speak as the distinguished alumnus unless HE donated a very large sum of money (at least equal to the amount he demanded to be paid) to the school, and included an apology to the staff, students, and parents in his graduation speach.
            I'm pretty sure he declined.

Comment

Ditto with the not a sucky customer but just a sucky celebrity story thing.

My wife and I were given a trip to the bahamas by her boss. We had a great time. We were told while we were there that Pierce Brosnan was there filming a movie. When we were at the airport for our return flight, he came in and sat at the bar with his posse. Afetr some hesitiation I went up holding out my hand to shake and asked if it would be ok to get a picture with him. I understand that these guys probably get annoyed by requests like this and I would have totally been fine with him saying he wa sorry but he didnt want to have everyone start over to ask as well, but he was pretty rude and stand offish about it and wouldn't even touch my hand. I can't even stand to watch anything he is in now. Just left me feeling pretty icky in a way.

On a better note, Al Greene once came in the shoe store where I once worked. He was hillarious and very freindly. When I worked in a bar in Memphis, 2 of the members of ZZ top would come in frequently, and one of the 'entertainers' that worked at the bar (yes, it was that kind of place) was married to the lead singer from Black Oak Arkansas, Jim Dandy. He would come hang out with me in the DJ booth from time to time.

BTW, first time posting here. Thanks for the great stories.

tim
              Quoted from DisgruntledBadger's old pizza boss:
              "Now scram and quit infecting my space with your f**kin' stupid."

Comment

Not customer stories, but I went to the same high school as Alanis Morrissette, and I once got knocked over by Kiefer Sutherland (I'd been to a job interview at the theatre where he and his mother were doing the Glass Menagerie) and he was looking back at her to answer something she'd said.... he was very nice, picked me right up off the ground (GOD he's tall!) and asked if I was okay
                GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Okay, sorry, but I just don't consider relatives or friends or managers of celebrities celebrities themselves, even if some of them do. Metallica's former manager's daughter? Not in any way a celebrity. Sorry, she may think she is, and she is probably a pain in the ass, but if you have to grasp that thin a straw to feel important...you're not that important to begin with.
                  *Snicker* Actually, that's my take on the matter, as well. Mr. Z is a cool guy himself, at least. I've talked with him several times.

Comment

At my first job, which was at a Shell gas station, the manager had claimed that he was good friends with Steven Palmer, one of the (many) drummers for Steppenwolf.

At first I didn't believe him, but when Palmer happened to show up on his motorcycle at the station one day... let's just say I was more than a little surprised.

Thankfully, nobody bothered him that much. The manager and Steven just had a chat for about half an hour before he hoped back on his bike, got his motor running and headed out on the highway, looking for adventure and whatever came his way. (Sorry, I couldn't resist. )
                    "Oh, you hate your job? There's a club for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet down at the bar." ~Drew Carey

Comment

• Good Charlotte

I used to work at the Bombay Company in Maryland, and the guys from Good Charlotte used to come in all the time. They weren't SCs, really, but one of them seemed like kind of a slimeball. I'm talking about the short one with tattoos ALL over his body. Anyway, he came in a lot, and I happen to know he had a girlfriend at the time, and he flirted SO bad with me. Now, I'm not one to fall all over celebrities, so I didn't really care. The first time, one of my co-workers came up to me and was all, "Do you know who that WAS?" I was all, "yeah, I think so. He's the guy from Good Charlotte, right?" She was flipping out, and saying how he "never flirted with her" and how lucky I was that I got such a great sale out of him (he'd spent upwards of 2k, which was fairly normal for some people to spend - it was furniture, after all).

So anyway, time went on, and he kept coming back, sometimes spending only 100 dollars, sometimes spending thousands. I didn't care much. It was just points on my sales. Anyway, he came back one time and asked me to go to a party with him. I didn't go, because he had a girlfriend, but I kept wondering what kind of a slime is he if he comes and flirts with me every few weeks, and then asks me to a party, all while he has a girlfriend? He may not have been a sucky customer, but he was a sucky boyfriend, and that was good enough for me.

Moselle
                      You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts.

"I hope you get hit by a bus and beaten by hockey-stick-wieldling pygmies." - IMA

Comment

• Quoth Lyger View Post
                        At my first job, which was at a Shell gas station, the manager had claimed that he was good friends with Steven Palmer, one of the (many) drummers for Steppenwolf.

At first I didn't believe him, but when Palmer happened to show up on his motorcycle at the station one day... let's just say I was more than a little surprised.
                        Heh. I have a story similar to that, though it didn't happen to me.

My friend Tim used to work for Jimmy Buffett. Worked for him for fifteen years. His job was to make sure all the preconcert insanity went on: the guys on stilts, the t-shirt cannons, all of that. Since Tim is a magician (and the best I have ever seen), he also was unofficially Jimmy's personal magician.

So, one day Tim was in Philly, and he and his brother were walking down the street. His brother asked him, "So are you really that close with Jimmy, or do you just work for him and see him occasionally?" Basically his brother didn't quite believe Tim's stories, it seems.

Well, magic is all about timing, and the timing of what happened next could not have been better. Because right at that moment, they were passing a bar that Jimmy and several of his friends were hanging out in. Jimmy saw Tim passing through the front window, and ran out the door and yelled, "Hey Tim! Get in here! You have just got to show these guys some of your tricks!"

Tim's brother never doubted him after that.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

• Quoth tollbaby View Post
                          but I went to the same high school as Alanis Morrissette
                          With her, or just the same school? I'd be intrigued to know whether she's more bitchy or nice...
                          Discourtesy Clerk, purveyor of fine hay bales, pine scented douche and stuff that's not in bins since July 2006.

Comment

• Quoth Discourtesy Clerk View Post
                            With her, or just the same school? I'd be intrigued to know whether she's more bitchy or nice...
                            Does it really matter? She friggin' GOD!
                            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

• I actually did go to high school with actor/comedian Jay Mohr in my second high school (I went to three), but I don't remember him at all. Hey, I was only there for a year! Apparently, though, my sister remembers him and hung out with him. Back then he was known as J.J. That is not just my sister's recollection....I have since then met others who were there and they recall the same thing.

I also went to the same college as Pat Tillman (GO SUN DEVILS!) though at different times...but did know him a bit. Great guy. Anyone who says otherwise didn't know him and should be smacked. Preferably by an angry linebacker.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

• Quoth Discourtesy Clerk View Post
                                I wasn't in the same grade (I was a freshman when she graduated). She was quite the snob in high school, but I've since been told that she was a bit jaded by everybody wanting to be her friend because she was famous (she starred on "You Can't Do That on TV" from age 13, I think, and so everybody already knew who she was even before she came out with that god awful bubble gum pop she did as a teen). She's apparently very nice now (I know a few people who hang out with her when she's in town).

I doubt anybody outside Canada knows who these guys are, but I used to walk Eric Eggleston to school when he was in kindergarten!

Oooh and my mom just reminded me that Tom Cruise once picked on me when I was four or five (his mother moved to Gloucester, Ontario for about six months when he was a kid, and he was a real snot - they lived down the street from us, and he picked on all the girls).
                                Last edited by tollbaby; 01-26-2007, 01:34 PM.
                                GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                                X