This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drooling Bag Lady

This is my most recent SC encounter... later I'll post one of my older ones.

My Staples store isn't in a bad part of town (we're suburban/rural, not in the city), but there are.... for the lack of better terms... bums, panhandlers and bagladies around.

The other day, one of these bagladies was in my store. She was kind of stereotypical, with her shopping cart full of cans and junk. I think she has other 'issues,' but I won't guess what. She usually just goes through our outside trash, uses our bathroom and then leaves. But this day she started playing on one of our new $1800 touch screen computers. I asked her to not play on them and she said "just let me finish my game", so I let her and went onto other tasks. About 20 minutes later she was still there. Her hands and face were COVERED with dirt and drool and... well... who knows what else.

<me> = me (duh)
    <DBL> = drooling bag lady.

<me> I said you can't play on the computers.
    <DBL> but the other places let me.
    <me> Sorry, but you can't play on them all day. Off.
    <DBL> But the manager lets me.
    <me> But not me. Off. Now.
    <DBL> let me finish my game.
    <me> No. Off. now.
    <DBL> But I JUST WANT TO FINISH MY GAME!!!
    <me> No! You can't play on the computers. OUT. Now.
    <DBL> *hurumph* I WAS gonna buy a computer from here, but NOW I'm not gonna!

When she stormed off, I fought the impulse to ask how many cans it would take to buy an $1800 computer.

As a quick followup... the next day she came in, asked if she could play and I said no, she left. The day after was my day off and I visited the store with my wife. I didn't realize it, but she pushed the DBL's cart down 100 feet away from the store. It totally freaked the DBL out. Maybe she'll get the hint that we're not an arcade.

We've had to clean those computers and lysol them twice this week. It may sound harsh of me, but would YOU like to buy a computer after someone picks through the trash and then drools on the keyboard and touchscreen?

Yuck. Seriously. *shudder* I hate dirty/smelly people.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

When you mentioned the part about her claiming to want to buy one of th computers I was reminded of a rather famous scam that was pulled here in Toronto.
      A few years back a woman sat daily at Yonge and Bloor (MAJOR downtown intersection in the heart of the tourist area) as well as other major downtown blocks. She sat on a blanket and would shake uncontrollably.
      She looked absolutely heartbreaking, and whenever I would see her I would see people drop LOTS of cash for her. I'm talking $20 bills, not to mention the woman who, I assume, had just walked over from the financial district with a plastic bag full of money and handed it to her.

Weeeeeeelp, after a news investigation (tried looking for an article but my Google Fu is weak and I'm sick to death of researching and, as it is the end of the semester, I refuse to do any more) turns out "the shaking lady" was living in a $200,000+ condo living VERY comfortably. Big ass TV, brand new computer, you name it, she had it.

I hate that she's tainted my view on people, but it just goes to show you can never tell everything about someone just because of what they look like and how they act.

Comment

OT...

Quoth rerant View Post
        sat daily at Yonge and Bloor (MAJOR downtown intersection in the heart of the tourist area) as well as other major downtown blocks. She sat on a blanket and would shake uncontrollably.
        I remember her...

The area rerant refers to is also known as the "millionaires mile (fur lane, what-have-you) ". Major richy, rich, rich, area. She would make a killing on winter days!

I used to work in a building kitty-corner to her "sit-down" area. If you offered to buy her a coffee or sandwich since she was so poor, she'd freak out on you and call you cheap that you didn't want to give her money! She had so many children and no place to live, wah, wah, wah... It was kinda funny to see her exposed in the papers for what she was. Her soooo young and poor son was quite happy in his little penthouse...

Here's the link in case you're interested...http://freerepublic.com/focus/news/678638/posts

Arghhh - it really bugs me people like that. I have a few people I give money to in my area (I have problems with giving to charities re: their % to administration vs. the amount given to the actual people in need (any comments there go to fratching)). I do make an effort to talk to the people I give to. She took the cake (and ate it too!)

Back on topic - Isn't there any way that your manager can ban her? I know it's not nice, but surely...

I know that if I go into my local BB or FS, they can toss out anyone if they just screw around on the computers and don't buy anything eventually.
        No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

The General Manager hasn't "met" her yet. The Ops Manager thinks she's doing no harm (although after several HOURS of her being on the computer, he did have one of the employees set a password on them). The Sales Manager doesn't want to go near her. ^^;

So it's up to me, the CSL to be the bad guy.

...but I like it.

Comment

Quoth Mara-chan View Post
            When she stormed off, I fought the impulse to ask how many cans it would take to buy an $1800 computer.
            It's only 36000 cans depending on where you are, no problem, only 100 cans a day for a year.
            If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

TOLady: Not to be snarky, but the link doesn't work, I get the "Page can't be displayed" error.

Here's the correct one: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/645319/posts
              Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

The great thing about SL was she lived in my city, and commuted to Toronto in order to "ply her trade". The part of the city she lived in is very affluent.
                "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
                  TOLady: Not to be snarky, but the link doesn't work, I get the "Page can't be displayed" error.

Here's the correct one: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/645319/posts
                  Thanks! I'd had to refresh the page a few times to get it to work.
                  No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

Working...
                  X