This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebate + coupon + giftcards = minor SC

Before the 'math' a little background info. Those familiar with Staples Rewards can skip the next paragraph.

At Staples we have 'Rewards Coupons'. Basically, when you buy ink, paper and copy center services you get 10% back and $3 for recycling some ink. You can use the coupons to purchase anything in the store EXCEPT gift cards since we want to keep the money in the store. Basically, we don't want to reward you by having you shop somewhere else.

On to the story.

A lady comes in Saturday night, about 8:30. We've got extended hours for the holidays until 10pm. She's in the store quite a while and we're being quite helpful to her since she's one of only two customers in the whole store. Since we're dead, we start putitng up the 500 price changes we have for the night. About 9:30 she comes up to the register and the manager notices she has 2 cases of paper that is on sale with a rebate the next day. Being nice we tell her about the sale. Stupid us.

Instead of taking the paper and coming back to get her rebates during the week she decides not to take it, she'll come back for it. That doesn't make sense to me, since either way she has to come back a second time. And since it's a rebate, she's not really saving any money by waiting. So we just roll our eyes and move on with the transaction.

She purchases about $25 worth of clearance Xmas stuff and $300 in gift cards. So her total is like $325 plus tax. She hands over a rewards coupon for $125.

Well, you can't buy gift checks with a coupon, so instead of her total being $200 (325 - 125), her total is $300 (25 in coupon-able items -125 in coupons + 300 non-coupon-able gift cards) and it would print out the remaining $100 as a new coupon.

It took 10 minutes to explain this. FINALLY she understood! And she told us to cancel everything, she'll come back tomorrow.

WTF?

The coupon STILL won't work tomorrow on the gift cards. The paper she could buy tonight with the other stuff and use up almost the whole coupon ($45 each case) and then pay for the other gift cards. And she would be coming back either way so why not just buy it since it's already in your cart and come back for the rebates?!? Why must they always do it the HARD way?

Quoth Mara-chan View Post
    Why must they always do it the HARD way?
    Quoth Mara-chan
    "Staples... that was easy. Now get out."
    That line being just above your signature provides me with endless amusement.
    Marvin: "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

Krispy Kreme puts the "ugh" back in "doughnuts".

Comment

The Rewards program is the bane of my existance. I can't...no matter WHAT I do... get my attachment to stay above 60%. GRR.

Anyway, people do weird things. Especially in Staples for some reason.

Comment

Quoth mandaliz8704 View Post
        The Rewards program is the bane of my existance. I can't...no matter WHAT I do... get my attachment to stay above 60%. GRR.
        My personal attachment rate is usually high 60's, low 70's. The store's however is usually about 48-52% (we have a couple of cashiers with no personality who can't seem to get above 45%)...

Until this last week.

DAMN OLD LADIES WHO ONLY COME IN ONCE A YEAR TO BUY CALENDARS AND COMPLAIN THAT THE PRICE WENT UP FROM LAST YEAR!

Comment

That seems to be my problem as well. Ive only been working there since 11/22, so I'm getting lots of holiday shoppers who have no interest whatsoever in it. Not to mention, I only work like 20 hours a week. lol

Comment

Attachment rate?
            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
              Attachment rate?
              We have to have a certain percentage of transactions include customers using their Rewards Card (like a Frequent Shopper card).

It's a FREE card. We only mail people coupons and never use their phone number. They get coupons back for 10% of the ink, paper and copy center stuff AND $3 for each HP, Dell, Lexmark and Kodak ink they recycle...

and yet people still think that we're up to something with it. They think we're scamming them. They'll spend $200 in our copy center and REFUSE to take the free card. That's $20 back FREE!

Oh, there's SO much bitching I could do about the rewards but I'll save it for some other post.

Comment

Oh. I shop at office supply stores so infrequently I'd probably forget the card even if I had one.
                Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                  Oh. I shop at office supply stores so infrequently I'd probably forget the card even if I had one.
                  That's why we take the phone number so we can look up people's cards. It's nearly impossible if they have common names.

Comment

Not to sound like a prude, but I believe the term you are looking for is rewards penetration not attachment.

Attachments are an entirely different category.
                    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Rebates are a pain in the patoot. I'll have forgotten I got an item for such a low price by the time the check arrives in the mail.

On Black Friday we had a rebate deal on board games. If you purchased games and sent in the rebate forms you would get them for $2 or $4 after rebate. This beat Wally World's prices for the same games.

However, the games were only cheaper if you filled out the rebate form and sent it in. All was well until customers started letting it slip to other customers that you could get the games cheaper at Wally World without having to dick around with a rebate, and thus we didn't sell too many board games that day.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Man, "coupon" is one of my new least favorite words...

Getting yelled at for not taking off a coupon the customer was thinking about but had never actually mentioned to me, let alone physically produced, getting yelled at for taking too long to find said coupon that may or may not exist out of a brand new 50+ page flyer I'm apparently supposed to have become intimitately familiar with in the 5 minutes since I arrived at work ("Well it's IN the AD"), getting yelled at for obviously being the person who dreamed up the whole "rebate" concept and making those letters on the giant shiny sticker on the product that say "MAIL IN REBATE"so darned misleading and not just taking off the $25 myself anyway...

Oh, and of course, getting yelled at for not taking off a stack of coupons that are worth more combined than the cost of the product. Because, you know, *everyone* else does that, I apparently just need to "hold your finger over that barcode or something, I saw a girl do it before," at which point it will suddenly and magically be OK for me to actually PAY the customer to take product out of our store.

Not to mention the coupons that just aren't working in the system for some reason even when they DO have them, which apparently makes some people Very Tense, that they may not get those 6 pencils for 39 cents, oh noes eleventy but it's IN the AD!! ... nevermind the fact that I'm actively *fixing* the problem so that it's all better by the time they've really got a good head of steam on that whole hyperventilation thing....

Comment

Working...
                        X