This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• semi-SC and daughter

To start out, I work two jobs and don't get nearly enough sleep (not excusing myself, but a little background.) My store has a half-off sale on all Christmas items. A man and his daughter come up to my register with a couple of items from what is supposedly a "Christmas" aisle-doesn't exactly exist (Not everything in that aisle is Christmas stuff.) I accidentally charged them full price for both items, they paid and left. They immediately come back to my line and the guy berates me for overcharging them. I start to explain, but he won't listen and yells at me. I IMMEDIATELY call over my manager to talk to them and I let her take over (she doesn't take crap from anyone.) Now I explained to the dude and his daughter that I could not give cash refunds (against store policy) and she reiterated that to them, explaining it slightly better than I could. The daughter originally explained to me and then my manager that they had gotten the two items from the Christmas aisle. Although one of the items was not a Christmas item, she was nice enough to give them credit for half off on both items. At that point, she shut up and let her father have at us. I looked at her during his rants, and could tell that she was embarrassed that he was screaming at us (so in my mind, she was off the hook.) At one point (since I had a line of about 10 people in my line and was the only cashier there) another customer offered to pay the guy cash for the credit (immediately endearing me to this woman) but he would have none of it. Eventually they accepted the credit and grumbled out of the store. The next few customers commiserated with me about the transaction, and I thanked the woman for trying to help move the situation along.
    Now a few notes: 1-I understand that he was frustrated with me about our policy, but yelling at me was not the way to go about it. 2-Are no cashiers EVER allowed to make any mistakes? 3-Why didn't he tell me during the transaction that I had screwed up (like another customer later did, causing no problem at all since I hadn't taken her money) so I could've voided the transaction and rerung it correctly? 4-Why on earth didn't he accept the cash offer from the other customer? It was EXACTLY what he wanted!!!
    I am the commander commando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. But it made him feel better.

2. No. My goodness no. Didn't you know that? Thou art perfect in every way - or at least, should be.

3. Probably just didn't notice it till after.

4. Oh, but that wouldn't have been penalising the Great Store for their stupid no-cash-refunds policy. No no, the ends do not justify the means, the customer must get What They Want, and How They Want It. Sigh.

5. The enter key. Look it up. It makes your posts much more readable.

Comment

I don't justify how the guy treated you, he was belligerant and rude. But I can understand the aggravation. You didn't mention how he paid for his original purchase, but if it was cash and if it were me, I'd be pretty torked as well. I'm sure you completely understand, but a policy that won't allow a refund of cash on a cash sale when an error was made by the store and not the customer...well that's just silly. Yeah I'd be pretty upset, but after you weren't able to assist me, my frustration would be directed at your manager. Unlike your customer, I *hope* I would be able to contain myself and see positive results for my politeness. Yeah, we cashiers make mistakes, we're only human after all and Christmas/clearance stuff is a real pain and can be confusing. Seems to me the suck falls on the store policy and not you.

The guy still behaved like an ass, though. Don't let it get to you.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

The guy was a douche, plain and simple. Being a little peeved about the store policy is understandable, but another customer offered to give him cash and he declined, so it sounds like he just wanted a reason to berate you.

Comment

Uh, if you consider that a SEMI sucky customer, than I hate to see what your really bad customers are like....

Comment

Quoth Despina83 View Post
            Uh, if you consider that a SEMI sucky customer, than I hate to see what your really bad customers are like....
            I would be scared too . . . but that SC was pretty bad, no matter how you cut it. Some people just can't be satisifed no matter how far backwards you bend over (within corporate limits of course.)

Sounds like you need some chocolate therapy to help cope.

*send a batch of virtual milk chocolate chunk brownies*
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

The guy didn't have to be a jerk, but I would have a serious problem with a store that didn't do cash refunds with appropriate reason and documentation. I just wouldn't do business with them anymore.
              Tamezin

Comment

A majority of the money we make goes to an unmentionable charity, and we have no way of opening the drawer, during a return, to give the person their money back. Also, this policy is printed in a minimum of 5 spots within 10 feet of the customer's face. That being said, I meant to mention (if I had not already done so,) that I understood the person's frustrations with our policy but his attitude towards them and me were not right. Also, he could've averted all this and caused me to not have a story by accepting the cash offer from the other customer.
                And damn, dgoddess, just when it was time for me to go on a diet! Those brownies wouldn't happen to be fat-free would they?
                Last edited by scroob; 01-07-2009, 05:25 PM. Reason: adding a response for dgoddess
                I am the commander commando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X