This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better job, worse customers

Now normally a story like this should belong in the unsuportable section, but here at my new job at the hospital as one of the IT staff (yay! Real Job!) we have to treat the other departments as our customers.

The nurses for the most part are just happy to see me coming to fix whatever snafu they come across and are by and large not sucky.

The Doctors on the other hand...Well that's why this story is here.

Now the problem is in their nifty-spiffy lounge, they have a few computers and a printer of their very own. Said printer starts having an issue with the dang thing jamming. <sigh> The paper pick-up rollers are going smooth and need to go in for service. Not a problem right? Put in a service request and we'll swap it out with one of the spares and dend the bad unit off for some TLC at the service center right?

Well you're reading it here so what do you think? WRONG-O!!! The doctor who complained didn't file a service request. He filed a variance.

Now a service request means that the end user is having a problem and needs someone to come out and resolve it. A variance means that someone has done something wrong. Someone grabs someone else in a naughty area...that's a variance. Someone files a service request and I tell them to fornicate off...that's a variance. Someone gets upset at someone and punched the living crap out of them...variance.

You do not file a variance against the IT department for a printer failing from normal wear and tear.
    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

You should file a variance against him for filing the variance.

But seriously: some doctors think the universe revolves around them.

Comment

*snerk*

<\imagination runs wild>

Psychologist: <holds up a manual> Ok little HP 4250, can you point to me on this picture where the tech touched you?

The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
        The Doctors on the other hand...Well that's why this story is here.
        My wife used to work at a hospital in an emergency room. She said for the most part, the doctors are over-educated bullies that treat staff like disposable tools. There are exceptions, but too few.

Even still, on your new job! I hope things work better for you in the future!
        I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
          *snerk*

<\imagination runs wild>

Psychologist: <holds up a manual> Ok little HP 4250, can you point to me on this picture where the tech touched you?

<sniff> He...he...<sniff>..TOUCHED ME ON MY FUSER ASSEMBLY WAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

<grin>

M
          I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

So... if you beat the doctor over the head with the printer and the printer breaks, would that be a service request or a variance?

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post

<grin>

M
              AHAHAHA!

Oh I needed that laugh.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Welcome to the wondeful world of working with doctors.

It gets worse.

Dont be afraid to put them in their place every once in a while. Some tend to forget they are just mere mortals like us.

Congrats on the job though!

Comment

What a jackass. You should tell him that this isn't scrubs and he's no Dr. Cox.
                  Check out my cosplay social group!
                  http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Quoth ThreatLevelMidnight View Post
                    You should file a variance against him for filing the variance.

But seriously: some doctors think the universe revolves around them.
                    From my own experience temping in a hospital dealing with personnel issues with doctors...I concur!
                    No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                      Some tend to forget they are just mere mortals like us.
                      Ain't that the truth. I really don't like working with doctors anymore because they treat everyone who isn't a doctor like a complete moron. Not that I want their approval anyway. I would hate to be a doctor. The thing that steams me is that I am just as smart (if not more so) as they are and they treated everyone at my job level as if we just got off the short bus.

One of my jobs during college was working an admin position in a hospital. We had a door that went into radiology that no one was supposed to use except in case of fire. We were told to strictly forbid ANYONE from using it. Besides this door there were 2 other doors to get in. One you swiped your badge. If your badge didn't work then you went to the other door where there was someone who looked you up to see if you were allowed to be there.

One day I see a doctor barreling through our office heading straight for our door to radiology. I called at him to stop and eventually had to leap from my desk to try to beat him to the door. I told him he couldn't go through there and he pulled the, "But I'm a DOCTOR!" card. I told him there were no exceptions and he could talk to security. What does he do? He physically MOVES me and walks through the door. I called security, but I didn't get his name, so they never found him. Ugh, I was SO mad.
                      Last edited by sprocket79; 01-06-2009, 08:44 PM. Reason: whoops...missed a word...

Comment

In my spare time I work with a Dr. and am particularly lucky that he treats everyone well. I think he realises that everyone is a volunteer and that probably helps.

I have heard horror storys about others though, and I shudder to think how they treat people I really do!
                        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

As an IT tech at a hospital, I am sorry to hear of your new job.

I am surprised that the doctor filed the variance . . . himself instead of getting one of the nurses or office staff to do it for them. I hate trouble call by proxy

Comment

My putting of a doctor in his place was when I was in hospital doped up on mophine, I remember asking the doctor "How come you're in charge, but you can't even put in an IV so the nurses have to do it for you?"

20+ mg of Morphine disables brain to mouth filter.
                            If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth Geek King and Mongo View Post
                              *snerk*

<\imagination runs wild>

M
                              that is hilarious! But unfortunately, no monitors ruined yet...the spoon in my mouth is stopping me from spewing nutella globs.

Quoth Nyoibo View Post
                              My putting of a doctor in his place was when I was in hospital doped up on mophine, I remember asking the doctor "How come you're in charge, but you can't even put in an IV so the nurses have to do it for you?"

20+ mg of Morphine disables brain to mouth filter.
                              Sweet, I'll have to remember that next time I need surgery and have to work afterwards
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                              X