This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The angst of Duty Free onboard the plane

On our longer flights we offer a Duty Free service(called a stupid fancy airline name)...time permitting, safety comes first followed by our regular service (drinks, meals)

On this flight I was working the trolley with a lovley flight attendant...who was really nice except that she apologised endlessly for everything to the passengers.

One of the pax wanted to buy some perfume which was 50 Euros. He wanted to pay with...wait for it...a 500 Euro note....that's a $675 note!
    As an airline our service is free onboard so we never have any change...and even if we did that's far too much. We were all given a float of £20 when we joined to keep on us for if we are doing Duty Free onboard.

My lovely collegue kept saying how sorry she was to this passenger....about 50 times over. I was thinking in my head that the passenger could always buy the bloody thing in the airport...never mind.

This was followed by a woman who came up to us towards the end of the flight wanted to buy a Bobbi Brown make-up palette. We had gone past her earlier with the trolley and she didn't want anything. Now she decided that she wanted it! I was sealing the trolley at this point (we have to for Customs purposes and to make sure nothing gets stolen before it heads back to Stores) had printed off all the info from the little machine we use to drop into the dead drop when we return to base to bank the sale money.

Well...this woman obviously doesn't watch the news or the ability to see the bigger picture. She was almost crying as she couldn't buy her beloved make-up and spent the next 10 minutes trying to bargain with us trying to find a way round it. At the time I was trying to eat my meal the Purser had bought up from Business Class for me. My collegue just kept constantly apologising.

I am seriously done with pretending a give a crap about Duty Free. We make 10% commission divided between the crew. For last month I made about £20 commission which is really not worth the angst.
    No longer a flight atttendant!

I never do duty free shopping on the plane, I always do it in the airport, that way I can pack it in my luggage and not have to schlep it all over the place.
    If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

How DO the prices for booze and cigarettes compare to those in a mere store? I looked through the catalog once, and as someone who does not regularly buy booze and cigarettes, I was not particularly overwhelmed by the prices.

I have noticed that at my home airport's duty-free store, the part of the store with makeup and perfume is available to anybody in the terminal, which suggests prices at or higher than the local mall. Only the booze and tobacco is restricted to international passengers. (It's about the size of a small closet... it is about as small as you can get and still be a real international airport; we have one flight a day to LHR, and two flights to Toronto.)

SirWired

Comment

Nothing really to do with your post, so I'm kinda hijacking it for a moment. But I've been flying a lot lately... short domestic flights, but around the holiday so everyone is tired and stressed. In fact, one of my flights was on Christmas Eve, and another was on New Year's Eve.

Anyway, the flight attendant on my hop to Chicago (from Detroit) was awesome on New Year's Eve. It's a short flight, so they were only walking around with water. But all of the sudden, I started feeling dizzy and was shaking. I had forgotten to eat with how busy my day had already been (worked, rush home to finish packing and feed the cats, rush to airport) and my sugar crashed. The flight attendant got me orange juice, found a passenger with peanut butter crackers, and made sure the other attendants checked up on me and got me a refill of juice. It helped boost my sugar levels enough until I could get to someplace to get real food once we landed.

So... just a big thank you to all flight attendants/air hostesses out there. The sucky people will always suck, but remember that the rest of us love you.
        "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
          How DO the prices for booze and cigarettes compare to those in a mere store? I looked through the catalog once, and as someone who does not regularly buy booze and cigarettes, I was not particularly overwhelmed by the prices.

SirWired
          About the only thing I ever buy Duty-Free is scotch. For example, a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label (Not a single malt, but pretty good for a blend) will run me $180 - $200 USD in a liquor store. In the duty-free shops or on a plane, I can usually get it for about $100 - $120 USD. I really haven't compared prices for anything else.

CH
          Last edited by crashhelmet; 01-07-2009, 03:45 AM. Reason: grammar
          Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Working...
          X