X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky customers MAKES FUN of my size...and more game store stupidity

This one had me seething...

A bit of background here: I am not a tall man. I usually say I am 5'3. Truth be told I don't know my specific actual height but I don't really care and most people usually let it go at that...this lady didn't.

I was working on the lower part of one of the shelves and my coworker was in the middle of a project and moving back and forth between the back room and the main sales floor. I see the woman walk up to the counter and since my coworkers project is more important than what I was working on, it's my job to help her out.

Me: Hi there, how may I help you?
    SC: Oh hi! You work here? But you're so small...
    Me: (WTF?? there's no height requirement to work here you dingbat! There were a million things I COULD have said, but I just ignored the comment)
    How may I help you?
    SC: I want to trade these in.
    Me: Ok then (starts processing trade)
    Me: What size is this hard drive?
    SC: 60 Jigga-bytes (yes that's how she pronounced it. not Gi-Ga-Bytes, but jigga bytes...ok then)
    SC: How tall are you?
    Me: (dang it lady, you're still on about this?) I'm 5'3.
    SC: WHAT??? How the heck can you be 5'3 when I'm 5'4??....I think you're closer to 5'1.
    Me: (GRRRRR....why in the BLUE HELL does it matter how tall I am??!) Well I haven't checked in awhile. These trade in for $XX.
    SC: Ok, thanks.

I have been self conscious about my height before and although I am not so much anymore since most people accept me for who I am, I still reeeeally gets under my skin when someone takes issue with my height. I may not be tall, but height aside I am exactly the same as everyone else. People need to stop being judgmental about stupid stuff like that. I told my manager how upset I was but there's not much he could do about it.

Moron number one

SC: Hey can you use only use Wal-Mart gift cards at Wal-Mart?
    (ok I DID NOT hear that right...did I?)
    Me: Excuse me?
    SC: Wal-Mart gift cards...I can't like use them here right?
    (of course you can, Wal-Mart actually doesn't give a shit if you use their giftcards to shop with them or not...FAIL)
    Me: No, you can only use them here.
    SC: Damn...that sucks.

Moron number two

SC: Hey how do I hook up a 360?
    (Although this seems to be a relatively simple question, there are many variables. Are you hooking up to a standard TV or HDTV? Are you using regular AV cables or component cables or HDMI? Are you using a multi system A/V switcher or other complicated hook-up? Perhaps you have an old TV and need an RF adapter?)
    Me: (goes through some of the above questions)
    SC: Uhhh, I don't really know, it's not an HDTV but I don't know if I have any of the stuff you mentioned...I don't think I do.
    Me: Well that being the case, I don't think I can help you much. If you knew more about your setup I could probably help, but without specifics I can't do anything for you.
    SC: Crap...ok. Well, thanks I guess.

Moron number Three

SC: Hey can I play Playstation 3 games on an Xbox 360?
    (I get this question more than you would think, and I weep a little inside every time I hear it)
    Me: No you can not play PS3 games on a 360...only on a PS3. None of the current gen consoles are cross compatible.
    SC: Oh ok. Thanks!

Boy I love working here...
    Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 01-07-2009, 03:16 AM.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post

SC: WHAT??? How the heck can you be 5'3 when I'm 5'4??....I think you're closer to 5'1.
    What a flaming asshole
    I'm tall for my age, but surprisingly I don't get much crap about it (I'm about 174cm so somewhere between 5'7"-5'9"...most of the girls at work are between 5'1=5'6", the guys are between 5'5"-6'5") . Nor do I get teased much But seriously, why is height such an issue for these people?

Moron number Three

(I get this question more than you would think, and I weep a little inside every time I hear it)
    Me: No you can not play PS3 games on a 360...only on a PS3. None of the current gen consoles are cross compatible.
    Right now, I am somewhere between and because of this. I think people get confused between cross-compatible and backwards-compatible.

For the non-gamers here, I'll explain:

Backwards compatible-means that you can play your old PS2 games on a PS3.
    Cross-compatible-means that you could use your Wii games on a PS3. Not gonna happen.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

61.21 jigabytes!!??!!! GREAT SCOTT!!!!!!1elventy
      Last edited by roadgypsy; 01-07-2009, 02:06 PM.

Comment

This one had me seething...

A bit of background here: I am not a tall man. I usually say I am 5'3. Truth be told I don't know my specific actual height but I don't really care and most people usually let it go at that...this lady didn't.
        You're the perfect height! Because I don't have to get a step-ladder to hug you!

*Hugs*

Try being 4'11.
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
          You're the perfect height! Because I don't have to get a step-ladder to hug you!

*Hugs*

Try being 4'11.

Thank you, I needed that. It's just harder being this height when you are male as opposed to female. What I mean by that is that shorter females are far more common.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Moron number one

SC: Hey can you use only use Wal-Mart gift cards at Wal-Mart?
            (ok I DID NOT hear that right...did I?)
            Me: Excuse me?
            SC: Wal-Mart gift cards...I can't like use them here right?
            (of course you can, Wal-Mart actually doesn't give a shit if you use their giftcards to shop with them or not...FAIL)
            Me: No, you can only use them here.
            SC: Damn...that sucks.
            Now, I don't think this guy would have known or done this but I MIGHT know where this is coming from.

Two local, independent stores (a record store and a game store) actually are letting you use certain other stores gift cards direct exchange in their stores. Like if you have a $50 gift card to Target, WalMart, KMart, Krogers, Lowes, Home Depot or a few other select stores (they have a list by the register), that they can verify the valid amount on (like by calling), they will allow you to use them as cash in their store. They are owned by the same guy and, as he says, he uses the gift cards during the year to buy supplies or treats or gifts for his employees.

He only accepts them from Thanksgiving through Valentines Day, giving people plenty of time to use Christmas gift cards.

He says he does a pretty good business by doing that, and gets people in that might not have come in otherwise, and that become good customers.

Not saying that's what this guy was thinking, or that that makes what this guy asked any less moronic or stupid, but maybe -- just MAYBE -- he heard that somewhere and thought you might be doing it too?
            I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

Quoth roadgypsy View Post
              81.21 jigabytes!!??!!! GREAT SCOTT!!!!!!1elventy
              Haha, I was thinking the same.

Comment

It's just harder being this height when you are male as opposed to female.
                I know. I'm male. I met a 9 year old girl who was taller than me.

I almost cried.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                  I know. I'm male. I met a 9 year old girl who was taller than me.

I almost cried.
                  God I hate that...my sis has two friends who are taller than me...

Back on topic, I woulda said something. But that's just me.

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
                    Back on topic, I woulda said something.
                    RW: SOMETHING! *Trots to the back and makes a strong drink*

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                      (I'm about 174cm so somewhere between 5'7"-5'9"...most of the girls at work are between 5'1=5'6", the guys are between 5'5"-6'5") . Nor do I get teased much But seriously, why is height such an issue for these people?
                      I don't really notice height too much. I'm 5'4", but grew up with a dad that's 6' and a mother that's 5'10". So I'm used to it. What's funny is when someone tries to intimidate me with their height!

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                      For the non-gamers here, I'll explain:
                      Don't necessarily need to be a gamer to get backwards- and cross-compatible. It comes up a lot with Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit both being around.

Quoth roadgypsy View Post
                      81.21 jigabytes!!??!!! GREAT SCOTT!!!!!!1elventy
                      *throws Scott brand toilet paper*
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Moron number Three

Boy I love working here...
                        It ranks right up there with looking for Mario or Zelda on PlayStation.
                        "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

SC: 60 Jigga-bytes (yes that's how she pronounced it. not Gi-Ga-Bytes, but jigga bytes...ok then)
                          The prefix giga has two pronunciations, one with a hard g like garden and another with a soft g like general. So you get gi-ga or ji-ga. My dictionary from the 80's has the jiga pronunciation first. Of course, currently the soft-g variant seems to have mostly died off.

In Back to the Future, when Doc Brown says the car needs 1.21 jigawatts he is really saying 1.21 gigawatts.

Comment

Quoth martin View Post
                            The prefix giga has two pronunciations, one with a hard g like garden and another with a soft g like general. So you get gi-ga or ji-ga. My dictionary from the 80's has the jiga pronunciation first. Of course, currently the soft-g variant seems to have mostly died off.

In Back to the Future, when Doc Brown says the car needs 1.21 jigawatts he is really saying 1.21 gigawatts.
                            Funny how pronunciations change with time. I'm just old enough to remember when the usual way of saying data was "datta." Seems like after Star Trek returned to TV with Brent Spiner's Data character, "dayta" became the new pronunciation.

In that case the Hollywood pronunciation won. With Back to the Future though, it was still years before anybody would be regularly prefixing anything with "giga-" so the timing just wasn't there.

Comment

Quoth Danno View Post
                              Funny how pronunciations change with time. I'm just old enough to remember when the usual way of saying data was "datta." Seems like after Star Trek returned to TV with Brent Spiner's Data character, "dayta" became the new pronunciation.
                              "The one is my name. The other is not."
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                              X