Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

....And you managed to drive with that for how long now?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ....And you managed to drive with that for how long now?

I don't know if this is sucky or a brain burp that went on for too long but it's mixture of sucky and "How could you/Why did you do this for so long?". If not in right forum, move accordingly I suppose.

Slight bit of background info: I live in a place that's about an hour to an hour and a half to the south of the state line depending on the traffic/weather/driving speed, so it's not very uncommon to see a lot of out-of-state folks. Half of the time the store is the closest one within a LONG driving time -- and when I mean LONG, I mean HOURS, even in the next state up so it's a bit of a convenience for some out-of-state people.

So I get this lady at the check-out from out-of-state, I'm basically just up there helping out while one cashier [ morning FES ] is on break and the other had just come back from helping a customer really fast. My customer had a few pricey frames that she was going to buy and the total came up to just over $200 for about six or so frames. She was going to pay by check, had a out-of-state check/license -- no big deal, I was going to get the FES to sign the check since she just come back from break. Because the check was for over $100 and the lady was out-of-state, FES or Manager had to sign the check.

Customer said that the license was expired and she was waiting for the DMV to send her a new one. I figure it's probably a few days expired and was going to ask the FES if it was okay to accept the license anyways, since sometimes it happens, probably more rare then anything anyways, that someone can't get to the DMV before the license expired or some other mishap or other thing that came up. I take one look at the expiration date on the license and automatically refuse to take the check and accept the license. Lady gives me a mouthful about it, saying she was just in the store last week and no one refused it. I tell her again that I refuse the check and license, handing both back to her. She gives me the glare of death, pushes the cart of frames to the side of the register, and leaves in a huff. Both me and the cashier who had stepped out to help a customer shared WTF looks, and I get the FES to void the transaction while stating why I need the void. FES gives me the same WTF look and just laughs; I later tell the SM what happened if customer decides to call in and complain, SM says don't worry about it, he'd have refused to do the same thing.

The expiration date on license? February, 2007. Yes, you read that right. The license expired in 2007, meaning that this lady has been driving without a renewed license for almost two freaking years! While in some cases an override of the license can happen, the store needs a valid, UNEXPIRED license or other state/federal ID with ALL checks.

Now I'm not the best person when it comes to certain things as I try to postpone it as long as possible, but even I wouldn't let my license be expired for two years.
    Last edited by Android Kaeli; 01-09-2009, 12:33 AM.
    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Get her license and call the cops.

Oh, and you have a double negative in your second paragraph. (Sorry, had to be a grammar nazi.)
    "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Wow I was expecting somewhere around 4-6 months at the very most. This story just leaves me speachless. I hope she gets pulled over.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

On the flip side, I got pulled over today, for not having my state identification up to date (I'm driving the parents' car... they've always taken care of that stuff, and I've reminded Dad a couple hundred times now that it needs to get inspected, yet he does nothing)
        Anyway, cop asks for my license and proof of insurance.
        I hand him my MO license, and dig out what is apparently a very old insurance form that expired in 2002...
        Cop asks me how long I've lived in TX... "Uh... three ish years?"
        "Why don't you have a TX driver's license?"
        "Short version? I haven't gotten around to it. Long version, I never planned to stay in this state. It was meant to be a very, very temporary thing."

I got a ticket for the state identification being out of date, and the no TX license, no current insurance... but the latter two are possibly admissable, the MO license is good until 2010, and, if I can produce a valid insurance card, there's no prob...
        Last edited by Imogene; 01-09-2009, 02:06 AM. Reason: Wrong tag
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Juwl you know I adore you . . .Last time I was on a ride along - a person has 90 days to get a Texas License. It is based on where you reside . . .as in pay rent/ mortgage, where your car insurance is based off, where your Taxes are mailed/ filed.

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
            Oh, and you have a double negative in your second paragraph. (Sorry, had to be a grammar nazi.)
            A quick PM to the OP is generally preferred to calling out someone's grammar or spelling in a thread.

In the future, if anyone feels that there is an error that makes the post difficult to understand (please no nitpicking), send a friendly PM to the member, or report the post and one of the moderators will do it.

Thanks everyone. Back to the thread...

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Emrld View Post
              Juwl you know I adore you . . .

It is based on where you reside . . .as in pay rent/ mortgage, where your car insurance is based off, where your Taxes are mailed/ filed.
              Hurray! I'm adored!
              I haven't paid rent except for my few months in Fort Worth, and, now that I'm getting disability money, my parents have started charging me rent... though I've heard that, here in TX, when you get a new license, they take your old one and keep it. And I'm kinda sorta talking to a friend in MO about moving in with her and her roommate. I've talked about her on here before... the friend who figured out my orientation after a single slip of the tongue...
              (Not like that...)
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

The last (and only) time I didn't get an "instant" license was 10 years ago. I got to keep my old and expiring AR license, and teh nice lady at teh (outer st. charles county) dmv stapled this paper to it that said "Hi, the new license is on its way" in the most confusing terms possible (MO has some kick-ass law/beaurocrats doing the writing of state stuff).

Jewl is not alone- dh got a 6 year license just before we moved back to AR, and he still hasn't got his AR license, despite 5 years of intermittent nagging. Keep in mind he's on his 3rd military ID and I am on my second AR license.

Comment

Ahh.. good thing I came across this post. I'm moving to Texas in 2 weeks and need to get a TX license.
                  I will never go to school!

Comment

If the SC in the original post doesn't have a new license after nearly two years, my guess is that she can't get one for some reason. It could be DUIs, no insurance, can't pass the eye exam, etc. Nobody goes two years without renewing without a reason.

Or, even better, the ID was stolen.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I don't know the situation with the customer but if she had some sort of eye problems or other things they check at the DMV, she shouldn't have been driving in the first place. She seemed not to have any eye problems although I really couldn't tell -- could have contacts in. She could have no insurance as well, but I don't that was the case.

ID wasn't stolen....if it was she would have had some sort of police paper saying that the license was stolen and a new one will be on the way. I know this only because I've known a couple of people who have had their wallets stolen and police have given them pieces of paper to show as ID until a new license is issued. I don't know how the DUI works but wouldn't someone have taken the license away?

Comment

Kaeli, I meant that the SC stole the ID.

She's from out of state, buying rather expensive items, wanting to write a check, and using an ID almost two years old. I would be thinking she's a thief/scammer.
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                          Kaeli, I meant that the SC stole the ID.

She's from out of state, buying rather expensive items, wanting to write a check, and using an ID almost two years old. I would be thinking she's a thief/scammer.
                          Oh, right. XD! Sorry, I posted that not long after I got home from work. I had a brain fart. >.>

A couple of other co-workers whom I told the story to said the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X