This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently, I'm a delinquent

Guy came up to my register one day during lunch rush. Conversation went as such:
    M: Me
    G: Guy
    G: "Can I get a couple of sauce cups (I forget what precisely he was looking for...)?"
    M: "Sure, how many did you want?"
    G: "A couple."
    M: *I hand him three cups after staring at him for a moment*
    G: *hands me one of the cups back* "I said a couple."
    M: "'A couple' has always meant 'two or three' to me."
    G:
    M: *smack forehead as I realise he was reading that as in the dating sense*
    "I call murder on that!"

Hmm...I have always considered a "couple" to mean two and a "few" to mean three.

But, so he gets one extra sauce cup, what's the big deal? Most men would be happy with an addition to their "couple"
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

A couple is two, in just about any context.

Comment

I probably would have handed him two cups, but then I'm sort of picky like that.

For some reason, I'm thinking of the "banana in the tailpipe" scene in Beverly Hills Cop. Eddie Murphy's character asks for "a couple bananas", and they guy gives him three. So apparently you're not the only one with the "two or three" idea.

Why do I remember stupid little things like that, and forget where I put the keys I had in my hand two minutes ago?
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

A couple--two
          A few--three
          Several--maybe up to five, unless it's sugar packets, then I'll probably hand you a handful

But that's just me.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Couple is two
            Trio is three
            Few is four
            Pentuple is five(never had anyone actually use this one. Did have someone ask for a sextuple, though...)
            Several gets you a blank look and asked 'how many would you like' again.
            Character flaws aren't a philosophy -Scott Adams

Comment

When I've used 'couple' or 'few,' I'd never had a specific number in mind. If I need two of something, I ask for two of something.

Comment

Camp had its own numbering things. For example, a "shitload" was 23, and a "wad" was 50.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

a conversation i had once, while cutting fabric:

me: how many yards would you like?
                  her: a couple.
                  me: two yards, then?
                  her: ... nothing
                  me: ::measures, cuts two yards::
                  her: I SAID THREE WAAAAAAAAH crycrycry

illustrating: it always pays to be accurate when ordering something. and also, to listen.

Comment

A Couple, has always meant 2
                    A Few, has always meant 3
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Eh, I would've likely handed him three sauce cups too. If you want a specific number, ask for a specific number. Don't trust people to have the same interpretation of "couple" or "few" as you.

To me:
                      couple = two or three
                      few = three to five
                      several = half handful or larger
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I agree with Kogarashi - a couple is 2 - 3 and a few is 3 or more.
                        Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                          Eh, I would've likely handed him three sauce cups too. If you want a specific number, ask for a specific number. Don't trust people to have the same interpretation of "couple" or "few" as you.

To me:
                          couple = two or three
                          few = three to five
                          several = half handful or larger
                          CowOrkers and I were discussing this very topic the other day, and my closer B insisted that "a couple" meant exactly three. I asked him how that kind of thinking figures into his relationships, and he amended that. We came to the conclusion that matches Kogarashi's list.

I think of a couple as "about two," but it can't be one, because one shouldn't be counted as a group (am I making any sense?) which limits my definition of a couple to either two or three.
                          "My mother always said, 'Feelings are like treasures...so bury them.'"

Comment

A couple would mean two to me, and a few would mean three to five (I guess - actually, probably would mean somewhere under 10). I have no idea how many several would be. But if I want a specific number I would ask for that number, and if someone asked me for a couple of something I would ask how many they wanted. Because I'm sure otherwise I'd give the wrong amount.
                            Last edited by ds_36; 10-21-2006, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I probably would have grabbed three as well, just because it's courtesy thing (in my opinion). You wouldn't want the customer of running out, so even though they asked for two, you're just trying to be nice and give them three. It's not a big deal anyway, unless it messes with your inventory or somethin.
                              This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X