Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was gonna buy some games, but I was high...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was gonna buy some games, but I was high...

Had another interesting week at the games store...

Parent of the year...NOT!

Woman comes up with her son who I would guess is around 9 years old to trade in a pile of games.

Problem 1: The vast majority of games are old sports titles, the most recent of which I believe was Madden 2007. If you know anything about games, you know that sports games lose value faster than any other type of game.

Problem 2: Most of these games were scratched badly, meaning I had to charge a fee on them to cover the resurfacing they'd need before they could be sold.

So the final trade credit for the 35 games he had was.... $34.50. The kid had no problem with this, but his mom.....

SM = sucky mom
    Me =

SM: Wait...that's all he gets?
    Me: Yes, ma'am.
    SM: But that isn't even $1 a game, he's got a whole pile of them here.
    Me: He does but most are old sports games that don't trade in for much (I held up NBA live 2004 as I said this) and many of them are pretty scratched up.
    SM: Of course they are, they are used. That's what this is about, you take in USED games.
    Me: (Yes, USED, not SCRATCHED TO HELL) We absolutely do, but a lot of these games are scratched so badly they won't work properly, meaning we can't resell them until we fixed them up.
    SM: But I paid HUNDREDS of dollars for those games!
    Me: Games, like pretty much everything, lose value over time ma'am.
    SM: Well yeah, but $34.50??? That's almost insulting. I mean look at these (as she grabs NCAA Football 2003), they must be worth more than that. You can't do ANY better than $34.50??
    Me: We are not a pawn shop ma'am, we have no latitude for negotiation, I can give you what the system tells me I can give you.
    SM: Fine, give me the games the back. I can't believe you try and rip people off like this. I bet you I can get $100 for these! *storms out*

Yeah, that'll be the day...

High times

I had my back turned to the counter, but the VERY obvious smell of mary jane alerted me to the presence of a customer.

SC: Uhhh yeah...I want to like, get this one... (hands me Fallout 3)
    Me: Ok.
    SC: Is that like a good...game?
    Me: I really enjoyed it, most people that play it seem to like it.
    SC: *goofy laugh*...good.
    Me: Your total is $xx.xx
    SC:(holds up a wad of cash and stares at it blankly for a few moments) How much money I got here man??
    Me: It appears you have $120.
    SC: Ohh...ok (he hands me $100, the game is less than $80)
    Me: You gave me too much, you only needed $80
    SC: Oops!....my bad.
    Me: Here's your change, have a good night.
    SC: Thanks man...this game is gonna be fun...

Five bucks says once he sobers up he's not going to remember buying Fallout 3. :P

Random stupidity

Customer: Do you have Rock Band for DS?
    (I suppose this was a semi-plausible question since Guitar Hero made it to DS, but that was just a guitar game. Rock Band is a bit more than that. After I heard the question I got a mental picture of 4 people sitting around with tiny instruments hooked up to their DS systems )
    Me: No, they do not make that for DS.

Battle Scars

It's funny how my coworkers and I can relate stories to each other and instantly understand what is being spoken of with limited detail. When you've seen so many SCs, you just understand.

That was the case with what happened here....

A guy came into exchange a Guitar Hero World Tour bundle with a faulty drum set. (on a side note that seems to be an issue with these kits, every defective one I've seen has been due to the drumset).

Company policy prohibits us from doing such a return, one only a few rare exceptions to the printed return policy on the receipt, which states any item can be exchanged within 45 days. I explain this to her...

SC: You can't do anything about this?
    Me: All I can do is give you this phone number, contact Activision, they'll send you a replacement drum set.
    SC: That's all that can be done?
    Me: I'm afraid so.
    SC: That's bullshit, I spent almost $200 on this thing.
    Me: I'm sorry but there's nothing else I can do.
    SC: Fine, I'll try this phone number, but you might be hearing from me again.
    *leaves*

About 45 mins later, my coworker informs me a man is on the phone requesting a manager. The store manager is off at this time, which makes me the MOD. I get on the phone and I'm sure you know who was on the other end.

Me: I'm the MOD for tonight, how may I help you?
    SC: (recounts earlier events, apparently he didn't realize I was the same person he'd dealt with earlier)
    SC: So anyway I called the number and apparently it's going to take like a week to get it all straightened out and that's totally unacceptable to me.
    Me: I apologize sir but we've been given very clear directives on this. There is nothing I can do for you tonight, any exchange of this nature could only be approved by the store manager. He'll be in tomorrow.
    SC: He will be?
    Me: Yes sir.
    SC: Well I guess he'll be hearing from me tomorrow then. *click*

You'll note I didn't tell the SC what time the manager would be in the next day. The problem with that I was closing again so if he came in later in the day she'd be stuck with me again. Fearing how upset he might get were that to happen, I prayed he'd show up before Manager K left.

After I came on shift the next day, I asked K if a man had been in here about a Guitar Hero return. He said no one hadn't, but a man and spoken to him about it earlier on the phone.

Me: So did he get pretty upset when you told him there was nothing you could do?
    K: (in a tone of voice that could only belong to someone that has plenty of experience dealing with SCs) Yeah...he got pretty upset.

Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 01-12-2009, 12:17 AM.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post

High times

I had my back turned to the counter, but the VERY obvious smell of mary jane alerted me to the presence of a customer.

SC: Uhhh yeah...I want to like, get this one... (hands me Fallout 3)
    Me: Ok.
    SC: Is that like a good...game?
    Me: I really enjoyed it, most people that play it seem to like it.
    SC: *goofy laugh*...good.
    Me: Your total is $xx.xx
    SC:(holds up a wad of cash and stares at it blankly for a few moments) How much money I got here man??
    Me: It appears you have $120.
    SC: Ohh...ok (he hands me $100, the game is less than $80)
    Me: You gave me too much, you only needed $80
    SC: Oops!....my bad.
    Me: Here's your change, have a good night.
    SC: Thanks man...this game is gonna be fun...

Five bucks says once he sobers up he's not going to remember buying Fallout 3. :P
    Jeez, either that's really strong stuff or he really doesn't have a head for it...

However, I have been informed that playing Fallout 3 while... enjoying certain plant-based substances... really IS a lot of fun. And what's the one that has the zombie minigame with Nazi zombies? Apparently that one's fun too.

(Personally, I have a weak enough grasp on reality as it is - I don't think that further alteration of my perceptions would be at all healthy or useful for me, and I cannot imagine playing a zombie game while so altered; I'd probably lose my grip completely - so I do not partake, but I don't mind what others choose to do. It's more fun to hang out with giggly stoners than obnoxious drunks, anyway).

Comment

Quoth Buglady View Post
      However, I have been informed that playing Fallout 3 while... enjoying certain plant-based substances... really IS a lot of fun. And what's the one that has the zombie minigame with Nazi zombies? Apparently that one's fun too.
      Gamer-geek alert!

Call of Duty: World at War. The nazi zombie co-op mode is great fun sober, drunk or stoned.
      This post has been brought to you by the IPF SC Neutering Campaign.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
        Random stupidity

Customer: Do you have Rock Band for DS?
        (I suppose this was a semi-plausible question since Guitar Hero made it to DS, but that was just a guitar game. Rock Band is a bit more than that. After I heard the question I got a mental picture of 4 people sitting around with tiny instruments hooked up to their DS systems )
        Me: No, they do not make that for DS.

The logics of that are mind-boggling...

But still.... you nearly made me violate Rule #1!
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Locksmith_from_Hell View Post
          Gamer-geek alert!

Call of Duty: World at War. The nazi zombie co-op mode is great fun sober, drunk or stoned.
          That's the one! I don't play (don't have that circuit in my head... would rather be reading, or making something), but I'm a good geek-girlfriend and I make appropriately impressed noises when I am called upon to admire splattered zombies.

I'm kind of glad I was out of town for the last LAN party because apparently someone decided to be adventurous in their plant-based entertainment and there were fungal substances. I really, REALLY don't want to think about what zombie game + hallucinogens would do to a person's psyche...

Comment

Quoth Buglady View Post
            That's the one! I don't play (don't have that circuit in my head... would rather be reading, or making something), but I'm a good geek-girlfriend and I make appropriately impressed noises when I am called upon to admire splattered zombies.
            You sound EXACTLY like me!! I'm the same way -- Hubby plays, I don't. He and his buddies love COD so there are many times when he's like "Baby, look!" and depending on what's on the screen, I know what I'm supposed to be "Oh, good for you"ing (like a great kill / death ratio or something).

But I do have to admit that watching him and his buddies play the zombie mode was out there and quite cool. He said after awhile it got monotonous, but it was fun once in awhile.
            I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

The Boy was so happy when he found a game I said I'd play (Spore). Then I beat his score. There has been no further mention of "aw, c'mon, you should play, it's fun!" (Spore is pretty neat, but not "OMG drop everything and play all day" neat).

When the snow melts I get to hold him to his offer to do something with me if I'd play a computer game. I'm renting a tandem bike (...we'll probably die...)

Comment

Quoth Buglady View Post
                I really, REALLY don't want to think about what zombie game + hallucinogens would do to a person's psyche...
                now i want to play a zombie game on shrooms, thanks. I WASN'T a shroom user

Comment

Quoth Buglady View Post
                  However, I have been informed that playing Fallout 3 while... enjoying certain plant-based substances... really IS a lot of fun.
                  I've only had a few experiences with said plant-based substances...one of said times the ex dared me to attempt Flight Simulator. I was actually better at that stoned than I was sober (I have no idea how I managed to pull that off)
                  It's more fun to hang out with giggly stoners than obnoxious drunks, anyway).
                  I agree. I've been told that I can actually carry on a conversation with a stoner that makes sense...then again, I've been known to make sense out of schizophrenic ramblings, so maybe my brain is just warped enough to allow me to do so.

Buglady, by all accounts the Ghostbusters game will be "drop everything and play all day week". I have a feeling one person in my group will attempt to play it stoned
                  Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-12-2009, 02:20 PM.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                  X