This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    Check with your phone company and see if Anonymous Call Blocking (or its equivalent) is available, or indeed, even already on your bill --
    While that may sound wonderful it has serious drawbacks...

Did you call your doctor's answering service with an important question? He's probably going to call you back from his home phone and he's going to turn off caller ID. So you're not going to get a call back from him unless you remember to turn that "service" off.

Ever been waiting for the cable company and hoping the technician will call if he's going to be late? He might call, but you won't know it because your phone won't even ring.

The person at the software company who can answer your tech support question is working from home that day, but she will call the phone in the school's computer room in fifteen minutes from her personal cell phone. Unfortunately, she couldn't get through because the school has anonymous call blocking and she's not planning on revealing her personal cell phone number to a customer. You'll just have to wait until she is back in the office the next day to get tech support.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

You certainly have a point.

However, I was not referring to "blocking all unknown numbers" or "blocking number which lack a name". I was referring to blocking those numbers -- used almost exclusively by telemarketers and collection agencies -- which explicitly prevent the number itself from appearing on the Caller ID screen. If actual digits are available, the call will get through, even if the "name" shown is "Unknown Number". Anonymous Blocking just reroutes the "blocked number" calls to a computer which tells them to call from a normal phone number.

For example, this call will get through, and ring at your house: "Unknown Number 555-555-5555"

This call will get rerouted: "Unknown Number NUMBER BLOCKED" or "UNLISTED". The latter would certainly pose a problem, but, again, they would get a message telling them to use a different phone.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        You certainly have a point.

However, I was not referring to "blocking all unknown numbers" or "blocking number which lack a name". I was referring to blocking those numbers -- used almost exclusively by telemarketers and collection agencies -- which explicitly prevent the number itself from appearing on the Caller ID screen.
        That was what she was saying. Every example Dips gave was where the person calling would explicitly not allow their number to show up on caller ID for reasons of privacy or security, so it wouldn't show up "Unknown - 555-555-5555." It would get your redirection.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I have call blocking on my home phone. What happens with a blocked call is I get a computer call saying to press 1 to hear who is calling. Pressing 1 lets me hear the person say their name, then I can take the call or not. I don't recall ever having a blocked call that wasn't a legitimate call, such as the furnace service guy.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
          X