• Show
Clear All

• unhelpful

Guest: yea Dave, I wanna come down there in the summer

Me: ok for what dates?

Guest: oh I am wide open, any dates, any location

Me: ok how many bedrooms?

Guest: I guess a 4 bedroom

Me: Ok here are some of my 4 bedrooms..(I go through the properties and direct her to the website)

Guest: well thats not helpful....I dont want to look at the pictures or read whats on the website. I want to hear you describe them in your own words.

Me: what would you like to know?

Guest: where is it located?

Me: we have a map at the bottom that shows that

Guest: I want you to tell me where it's located. The map does me no good, I dont know the area.

Me: it's 50 yards to the ocean

Guest: and?

Me: and what?

Guest: you arent going to give me any personal input about that location and whether I would prefer this or another area.

Me: this is a nice location

Guest: nice? Thats all you can say about it?

Me: yea ma'am

Guest: well that's that then...I guess I will look around online but you're really not very helpful or friendly. The other people I have talked to have been very helpful and informative. CLICK

Err, you were really unhelpful.
    Bad move.

It was a little strange that she didn't want to go to the website, but it doesn't seem hard to accommodate for her.
    "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

I wouldn't say he was unhelpful. Kinda hard to know every little thing about every 4-bedroom property and be able to paint a verbal picture that would make Shakespere weep.
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
        I wouldn't say he was unhelpful. Kinda hard to know every little thing about every 4-bedroom property and be able to paint a verbal picture that would make Shakespere weep.
        But there's a big difference between that and "nice". A little effort probably wouldn't have killed anybody.

And if it would have, then the OP should have said so. :P
        EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS CANCER AND MADNESS. (Gravekeeper)
        ~-~
        Also, I have been told that I am sarcastic. I don’t know where anyone would get such an impression.(Gravekeeper again)

Comment

As I recall they rent HUNDREDS of properties. Expecting Dave to have inspected each of them is just silly. The best that woman could hope for would be his opinion on the place based on the info on the website.

Comment

Also you can't expect someone working for the company to say whether an area is "good".

a) they may not personally know,
            b) "good area" is subjective, and
            c) they can't possibly suggest any of their properties are not in a good area.

If she'd been asking specific questions I think the OP would have been unreasonable, but this just sounded like she wanted a mind reader.

Victoria J

Comment

Also, Dave doesn't know this woman. How would he know what kind of property she would prefer? Even if he DID magically know about all the hundreds of properties they rent out there, how would he know if she wants one that might be close to family things or else one that's away from everything and much more private? It's not like she even gave him any information to go on! She didn't like say "I have a family and want a place my kids will be safe to walk to the beach alone" or something.

I don't see how Dave really COULD have helped her all that much! Everything about "Would I like it" is so subjective that I would be very very cautious if I was Dave to say anything, because just because HE likes it doesn't mean SHE will! And then she would call and complain that it wasn't what she wanted, but Dave said it would be perfect.

You can't win with some people!
              I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

It's hard to be informative when you won't tell me what it is you want to know...
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

But come on, VRS is psychic like the rest of us in customer service, right? RIGHT?
                  Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Quoth persephone View Post
                    Also, Dave doesn't know this woman. How would he know what kind of property she would prefer?
                    Exactly. This sounded a lot like the customer who comes in, walks up to a salesperson, who is a total stranger, and asks "What kind of game would my son like?" or "what size blouse should I get for my niece?"
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

No suck on the OP. None at all. How's he supposed to know every single detail of every single property his employer rents out? And how's he supposed to paint a mental picture that will be specific enough for the caller?

If she doesn't want to use the website and she doesn't want to tell the OP specifically what she wants in a property, tough shit. I agree with MadMike--it's like being asked to make a recommendation for somebody you know nothing about, and those usually don't end well.
                      Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 01-17-2009, 09:07 PM.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

That reads like Mystery Shopper questions.
                        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                        HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
                          Err, you were really unhelpful.
                          Bad move.
                          We don't call out other members on whether or not there was suck.
                          I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Wait. Dave, didn't you already post this one a few months back?

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                              Exactly. This sounded a lot like the customer who comes in, walks up to a salesperson, who is a total stranger, and asks "What kind of game would my son like?" or "what size blouse should I get for my niece?"
                              Or "would my husband like this cake?"
                              Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Working...
                              X