This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attack of the Milk Maids

The other day, I was asked by my CPS to go get some milk for the garage. We take it from the store, and transfer it over to petrol. I generally either get it off the shop floor, or from the back; usually, I go to the shop floor first so as to be Little Miss Helpful and ask for more to be taken on to the floor if there isn't much there.

That day was such a day. I left my trolley there, with about ten four pint bottles of milk in it (I needed twenty, but there was only about fifteen bottles left after I had taken off ten so I decided to wait for the new milk) to nip to the next aisle and ask the shelf stacker there if he could go get another trolley load of four pinters. He agrees and goes to get it.

I return to my trolley just in time to see Milk Maid #1 about to take some of the bottles out my trolley. I politely tell her that those are mine, and reserved for the garage. She bitches back, saying that the milk is for paying customers and not the petrol station. (Where does she think the milk sold at the petrol station comes from? Timbuctoo? ) I tell her, again very politely, that a collegue has just gone to bring in a full trolley load of milk and he will be there in a minute.

Milk Maid #2 then chimes in, saying that I should have gone to get the milk. Um, hello? It's not my job. He works in Dairy, he gets milk. I work in Petrol. I am not allowed to just head to the milk fridge and bring out a trolley. I tell her this, and she gives me a cat butt face. Luckily, before the Milk Maids could regroup for further bitchery, the shelf stacker arrives with a trolley load of milk. I take another ten bottles and quietly withdraw.

I'll never understand why people just can't understand that firstly, I am ordered to go and collect milk off the shop floor; and second, there is plenty there for all of us. Seeing as both old biddies were unlikely to be needing seven four pint bottles apiece, there was already enough for them to have their milk even before the shelf stacker brought in a fresh load. -.-
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

I would have told the woman wanting milk off of your cart

"Sure, go ahead and take milk off of there, but just to warn you, we found this cart outside, and we have no idea how long the milk has been sitting out in the sun"

I'm sure you wouldn't get too much of an argument after that, and she'd just get her own damn milk out of the cooler.

Comment

After warnign the "milk maids":
      "You take my milk and I'll report you to the manager."

Comment

Quoth KaySquirrel View Post
        It's not for them, it's for their cats.. All 43978 of them.
        Well, there goes rule #1...
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Nephy View Post
          I would have told the woman wanting milk off of your cart

"Sure, go ahead and take milk off of there, but just to warn you, we found this cart outside, and we have no idea how long the milk has been sitting out in the sun"

I'm sure you wouldn't get too much of an argument after that, and she'd just get her own damn milk out of the cooler.
          I wish that'd work.
          I once had to physically remove a lady out of my expired food cart.
          While repeating the fact that it's expired a good 6 times.
          The food was smashed in each other, cream smeared on the bread, the whole shibang, nope, madam demanded to save money by digging in the "bargain" bin.

Didn't happen.
          Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Two things.

First, to their credit, the women should not be expected to know what your job is or isn't. This is not to defend their actions, just saying.

Secondly, this is an example of why you never leave your cart unattended. *I* do, but then, I usually do my grocery shopping late (1 am-ish) when very few other people are in the store AND it is stocked to the rafters as the stockers are stocking the incoming stuff. Any other time, though, my cart doesn't leave my sight.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of... the two women cows produced the milk themselves so of course they feel territorial about it.

Comment

(Where does she think the milk sold at the petrol station comes from? Timbuctoo?
                They don't have their own cow out there?
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Two things.

First, to their credit, the women should not be expected to know what your job is or isn't. This is not to defend their actions, just saying.
                  Seeing as I was wearing a high viz overal with "Petrol Station" on it, that's rather unlikely. O_o Unless they can't read.

As far as the trolley goes, I flipping hate those trolleys. -.- They always veer to the right whenever they're full, and try to push me in front of cars. O_o It's not paranoia; those trolleys really are out to get me.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

I must have mis-read. I had thought the "milk maids" worked in the grocery part.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                      Seeing as I was wearing a high viz overal with "Petrol Station" on it, that's rather unlikely. O_o Unless they can't read.

As far as the trolley goes, I flipping hate those trolleys. -.- They always veer to the right whenever they're full, and try to push me in front of cars. O_o It's not paranoia; those trolleys really are out to get me.
                      Hah, one time, halfway through a big shop at Tesco's, 3/4 of the way through the shopping, my trolley decided that it would no longer go any direction other than sideways (literally) and just as it would happen, I was at the far end of the shop, furthest away from the trolleys, that was an uhm, exciting job trying to get it closer so I could grab a replacement.
                      I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
                        I must have mis-read. I had thought the "milk maids" worked in the grocery part.
                        It's a term from 'Clerks'. The Milk Maid is defined as the customer type who goes through all the milk in the cooler to find the absolute best-dated product.

Rapscallion

Comment

What Raps said. XD I think that movie should be compulsive viewing for everyone on the board.

It's a waste of time doing that at the supermarket, as the best dated ones are all in the same trolley anyway. We also get a type of Milk Maid who comes to the petrol station in the erronious belief that our milk is fresher. As you can see by reading the thread, it's the exact same milk. xD
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

What Raps said. XD I think that movie should be compulsive viewing for everyone on the board.
                            I can't remember, have we ever tried to make a list of "Movies that should be mandatory viewing" or something like that? Clerks for retail workers, Office Space for office workers...hmm. Should almost make a thread about this one.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I didn't say they didn't know you worked there. I said they should not be expected to know, precisely, what your job is, i.e., what your particular duties are. Make sense?

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                              I can't remember, have we ever tried to make a list of "Movies that should be mandatory viewing" or something like that? Clerks for retail workers, Office Space for office workers...hmm. Should almost make a thread about this one.
                              "Waiting" for food service workers....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X