Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMG, white stuff on the ground!!! Eleventy!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is really fun is when people call in and DEMAND you come out NOW and fix the problem. It doesn't matter if it is sleeting and the road is a solid sheet of ice. I've actually had one customer say: "your techs have 4 wheel drive they can make it out".
    Sheesh! 4 wheel drive only works when there is someplace to get traction from. Ice is uniformly slick so 4 wheel drive becomes 4 wheel slide.
    I've even had customers state they don't care how dangerous it is and that a tech needs sent out NOW!
    Some people are just waaaay too self centered.
    Tech died to fix my problem! Good! It's what you owe me. /sarcasm
    Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Quoth tamezin View Post
      We had the same situation last year. I was without electricity for 5 of the longest days of my life (all my fishies died ).
      This: One

And This: One

Keep a box of batteries handy, refresh them yearly, run the air pump the most you can and the filter I'd say once daily for an hour or two.

We don't have many power outages here, still we have those to look after the fishies.

Btw the hardest to battery power is the heater since it consumes a LOT and the temp can get too low for them easily... personaly here it's not a problem as I'm in the tropics, in a snowy place, well maybe I'd come up with a solution using a small floating tin (metal) make sure it's small, and put a small weight on the bottom outside, so it always will float with the mouth up. then fill it with alcohol and light the alcohol up... it should last a while and heat the water some... if it's very very cold I'd try zippo bencine instead of alcohol, but be sure to fill it outside the tank and not to the brim so you don't contaminate the tank water with it.
      I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
        . Myself and another lady from the North laughed and said to call us instead. You all are silly about snow.
        Hehehehe....laugh if you will, but come down here during a serious snowstorm and we will laugh last.

Friend of mine from Maine came down here to live in Charlotte and laughed at us about that very thing.

Then it snowed heavily up there and he was trapped in his house. It was nowhere near what it's like up in Maine, but because we dont' have the means to handle even moderate snow, nor the experience to drive in it safely, the state grinds to a semi-panicked halt.

People ought to take winter seriously down here, but they don't. We lose the power, black ice paralyzes our roads, and nobody knows what to do.

M, my relocated friend in Charlotte, emailed everyone (between bouts of his cable being knocked out), in a disbelieving state of shock that he, Mr. Maine, was as frozen in place as the rest of us.

Egads, we laughed at him.

Comment

The SO told me this story:

A couple of years back, he moved back to the South from IL. They got three inches of snow, so the whole city shut down. He was out driving, having fun in the snow.

A cop pulled him over, looked at him.

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING OUT HERE,BOY?!"

SO pulls out his driver's license (still IL license), gives it to the cop. The cop looks at it and gives it back.

"Oh...well...keep safe."

"Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            Hehehehe....laugh if you will, but come down here during a serious snowstorm and we will laugh last.

Friend of mine from Maine came down here to live in Charlotte and laughed at us about that very thing.

Then it snowed heavily up there and he was trapped in his house. It was nowhere near what it's like up in Maine, but because we dont' have the means to handle even moderate snow, nor the experience to drive in it safely, the state grinds to a semi-panicked halt.

People ought to take winter seriously down here, but they don't. We lose the power, black ice paralyzes our roads, and nobody knows what to do.

M, my relocated friend in Charlotte, emailed everyone (between bouts of his cable being knocked out), in a disbelieving state of shock that he, Mr. Maine, was as frozen in place as the rest of us.

Egads, we laughed at him.
            So I'll just enjoy the snow day I'll have anyway ^^ Prolly one of the bonuses to still living with my parents...
            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

With as deep as the snow cover is in my corner of Cheeselandialand, it's a wonder there's even bread and milk in the stores to buy.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

OK, may I say, all you people talking about power outages due to snow SUCK.

the last two power outages I've been in have been caused by drunk drivers running off the road into power poles
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

This brings back memories of the great power outage that zapped us poor Torontonians a few years ago, now THAT sucked. Thankfuly it seemed like no one decided it was worth rioting over, at least not in my neighbourhood.

Nearly panicked when the city went out a few days ago too, thankfuly not to much came of that one.
                  "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
                  James from Pokémon.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    With as deep as the snow cover is in my corner of Cheeselandialand, it's a wonder there's even bread and milk in the stores to buy.
                    ahhhhhhh you can keep milk and cheese Irv........ people in my area want

PIZZA

two snowflakes fall or the temps get near 10 degrees or below and our business triples. sometimes great for me (obviously great for the owners) mostly not as people tip as shitty as they normally would no matter what.

/sarcasm on
                    us delivery drivers are better than the mail delivery guys (they have a union we don't) we are expected to deliver in ANY type weather ---> snow sleet rain darkness of night HA.
                    /sarcasm off

I think it was Tony Doughnuts that posted a story (have to check either war stories or annals of CS) about a SC that wanted pizza delivery during a tornado
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
                      $diety help them if they ever got this snowfall

For a reference, I'm 6'3" Add 4" for the boots and the toque as it's polar bear cold here.

B
                      Yow! Looks like Chama last year. Last I heard, they had gotten around 151" over the winter. Collapsed the roof on the only grocery store in the town, too.

Quoth Skeksin View Post
                      I've even had customers state they don't care how dangerous it is and that a tech needs sent out NOW!
                      Some people are just waaaay too self centered.
                      Tech died to fix my problem! Good! It's what you owe me. /sarcasm
                      Like the dolts 2 years ago that actually had the brass balls to complain about not getting their junk mail for two days. Never mind the fact that the police wanted everyone off the roads (except for emergencies) and the Sunport had shut down!

Yeah, you are so damned important that it's worth the mail carriers endangering their lives in the mail trucks that are so not designed for driving in that crap!
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I've said it before on the boards, I think, but it bears repeating:

People see one flake, they flake out.

Also, this old sprite-comic I made also summarizes people's reaction: Strange White Fallout
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                          and back when i was in virginia i lost power for a good week or so during hurricane isabelle. thankfully i had a gas stove and could still cook & make hot water for a bath. and i could read by candle light. mostly though it was just boring... like super boring.
                          Ah yes, Isabelle. That was the first hurricane I ever experienced.

Being a night owl, I was more bored than than scared. Once my GBA's batteries started wearing out, the only thing I could really do was lay in bed and listen to the storm coverage on my Walkman.

Power-wise, our area was lucky, in that ours was restored after about 36 hours. I think it may have been because we live so close to the fire and EMS stations.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                            "Oh my God! Did you stock up on bread and milk!!??"
                            Brother Dave Gardner once said, "Man cannot live on bread alone. He must have peanut butter!" Oh wait, peanut butter is being recalled. .... OK, we're done for.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                            X