This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hamburgler

Thieves are rarely the clever sort you see on your cop dramas. In fact, if one day one were ever to lower himself from the skylight with black nylon cables, disabling the security cameras remotely with a device he constructed out of tin-foil and a car antenna, I would probably let him steal me blind out of admiration to his dedication.

Instead, we had this fellow, in the middle of summer dressed in a knee-length parka, loitering around my bakery.

I've been watching him for a while, and it's obvious something's up. It's obvious to people asleep in Ecuador something is up. The ceiling tiles are suspicious. He shuffles from foot to foot in his baggy pants, occasionally hitching them up, always keeping his back to me and his head down.

I make a discreet call to the Boss. At six feet, I'm no wilting flower, but store policy forbids us from attempting to stop a shoplifter ourselves. Instead we make management do it. I suppose corporate feels if a manager is to fall in battle, they can always make more in their labs.

The Boss arrives, actually looking a little intimidating. He's a nice guy, extremely high-energy, but a bit of a muscle-head. Less frightening is M, trailing behind him, second-in-command, a short, curly-headed Italian with Harry Potter spectacles who, stopping by on his day off, is wearing his golfing outfit, on his way to the course.

I point. They move in. Later, I will be yelled at by several other employees for not possessing a video camera on my cellphone to record what ensues.

The man in the parka sees them coming and bolts. I mean, this fucker can MOVE. I, unencumbered by his weighty-looking parka, could not have been as fleet of foot as this guy is. M and the Boss, both smokers, certainly are not. But they try, bless their hearts.

Myself and the nearby Produce department pursue them to the front door to partake in the spectacle, even after the Boss yells breathlessly for us all to stay put. Hell with that.

Because now our parka-wearing friend is shedding himself of his extra weight. By that I do not mean the coat itself, no; that was apparently too precious. Suddenly, the air around him as he flees through the parking lot is filled with not only a good portion of today's freshly baked hamburger and hotdog buns, but packaged ground beef, a side of ribs, and a long rope of hotdogs that uncoils magnificently in the air like a fleshy streamer.

Well, I guess you had to be there to appreciate the visual.

And he's still running! It's the most amazing thing I've ever seen as he continues to pull more things out of the inside of his parka, tossing them behind him. A bottle of ketchup shatters on the pavement. Other customers are stopping to simply stare. The rest of us are gathered at the store entrance shrieking like a pack of baboons, shouting encouragement to our daring management and brilliant ideas like, "RUN FASTER" and "DON'T LET HIM GET AWAY".

Someone is cheering the criminal himself, which I think we all also were, secretly, because damn if this isn't the most exciting thing to happen here in the last month.

At the edge of the parking lot, M and the Boss give up. They lean over, panting, hands on their knees, watching in disbelief as the fellow keeps going, sprinting out into traffic and vanishing behind a 7-11. The parking lot is littered with the entire requirements for a barbecue. There are napkins (Mickey Mouse, stolen from the party favor aisle), paper plates, relish, mustard, and even a disposable camera to go with the aforementioned meat and baked goods. I can't help but wonder if there was a Mrs Parka waiting back home, angry that he won't arrive with her shopping list.

M and the Boss call the police, of course, who are more amused than anything else as they take statements. Most of them involve asking us if we'd seen anything, and the response is inevitably, "Yes. And it was fucking AWESOME."

They never catch the guy, but I remember very clearly that the thing that upset the Boss the most was that the guy had taken both ketchup AND mustard. "Who puts both of those on something?" he asks in genuine disgust. "That's just wrong."
    Personally, I find cleavage very helpful. In a crime-fighting sense.

Quoth Cookiesaur View Post
    Suddenly, the air around him as he flees through the parking lot is filled with not only a good portion of today's freshly baked hamburger and hotdog buns, but packaged ground beef, a side of ribs, and a long rope of hotdogs that uncoils magnificently in the air like a fleshy streamer.
    A bottle of ketchup shatters on the pavement. The parking lot is littered with the entire requirements for a barbecue. There are napkins (Mickey Mouse, stolen from the party favor aisle), paper plates, relish, mustard, and even a disposable camera to go with the aforementioned meat and baked goods.
    How does someone CARRY that much stuff inside a parka??
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

For some reason, that reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit where John Belushi enters a very small convenience store and proceeds to steal just about everything in sight, concealing everything in his clothes. By the time he arrives at the checkout counter, he's enormous. His purchase?

Tic-tacs, if memory serves. Or mints. Something like that.

However, given the fact that he's already stolen half the store and hidden the merchandise on his person, he's now too huge to fit through the door. The store employees, who have remained oblivious to the theft, have to push him through the doorway, then wave and wish him a nice evening.

Comment

He wasn't exactly taking pains to make it subtle. Aside from being several sizes too large for him, it was also absolutely bulging. You really had to see the amount of crap in that parking lot to get the real shock of it. Admittedly, you couldn't feed more than perhaps a small family on all of it, but it was still an admirable effort. In my heart, I always like to imagine him somewhere painstakingly sewing straps and pockets into the lining of this thing, maybe feverishly looking at tips from Martha Stewart on stitching.
        Personally, I find cleavage very helpful. In a crime-fighting sense.

Comment

I suppose corporate feels if a manager is to fall in battle, they can always make more in their labs.

and a long rope of hotdogs that uncoils magnificently in the air like a fleshy streamer.
          Superb.

More stories please, you tell them beautifully.

but I remember very clearly that the thing that upset the Boss the most was that the guy had taken both ketchup AND mustard. "Who puts both of those on something?" he asks in genuine disgust. "That's just wrong."
          Me. If only to give flavour to the cinema's hotdogs.
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

They never catch the guy, but I remember very clearly that the thing that upset the Boss the most was that the guy had taken both ketchup AND mustard. "Who puts both of those on something?" he asks in genuine disgust. "That's just wrong."
            I always put ketchup and mustard on my hotdogs. That's delicious right there.

Comment

I suppose corporate feels if a manager is to fall in battle, they can always make more in their labs.
              That's HI-LAR-IOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay...I read the post and commented really quick and went back and read the rest....

I love how you tell the tale...very descriptive...very hilarious!

I can't wait to read more of your posts!
              Last edited by friendofjimmyk; 02-07-2009, 04:13 PM.
              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

They should have waited for him to steal a propane tank. That would have slowed him down enough to catch. Plus the manager could have ran after him doing a Hank Hill impression.

Comment

*falls over laughing*
                  you know right now i have this image of the guy in my head and all but the fact that he just kept releaving himself of his treasure amuses me more than that.

Comment

When I was a lot younger, I knew people who would make ketchup-and-mustard sandwiches. Just two slices of bread slapped together, each slathered in either ketchup or mustard. Yeah, kids are weird like that.

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                      How does someone CARRY that much stuff inside a parka??
                      A quality parka with a good amount of inside pockets will easily carry all that and more.

No, seriously.

Quoth Thuringwethyl View Post
                      When I was a lot younger, I knew people who would make ketchup-and-mustard sandwiches. Just two slices of bread slapped together, each slathered in either ketchup or mustard. Yeah, kids are weird like that.
                      Um, I have been known to eat mustard sandwiches. Bread and mustard. Yummy. And I don't mean just as a kid, either. (I hate ketchup, so won't even comment on that part of it.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Ah, the MAC (Management Assembly Centre). Insert humans. Remove spine, balls, and brain. Insert corporate rulebook and a superiority complex.
                        Because now our parka-wearing friend is shedding himself of his extra weight. By that I do not mean the coat itself, no; that was apparently too precious. Suddenly, the air around him as he flees through the parking lot is filled with not only a good portion of today's freshly baked hamburger and hotdog buns, but packaged ground beef, a side of ribs, and a long rope of hotdogs that uncoils magnificently in the air like a fleshy streamer.

Well, I guess you had to be there to appreciate the visual.
                        Nope, I'm appreciating this fully from here. My screen and keyboard will testify to this.

It's like reading beautiful poetry...
                        "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

If it wasn't for the fact he was stealing and (from your description) most of the merchandise was now unsellable this would be epic!

Did anybody take pictures of the parking lot afterwards?

Comment

Yeah, thanks. Your descriptions made me choke on my spaghetti. Apparently, I can't drink OR EAT while reading this site.
                            MySpace

Comment

Quoth KnitShoni View Post
                              Yeah, thanks. Your descriptions made me choke on my spaghetti. Apparently, I can't drink OR EAT while reading this site.
                              It's the CS Diet. I've been on it for a year and lost about an ounce. :P

To the OP - epic. But is it sad that the first thing out of my mouth reading the title was "Robble, robble, robble"? Or did I just prove my age there?

And your manager would hate me: I put both ketchup and mustard on my burgers, hot dogs, etc. You can't have one without the other, I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X