Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For my 21st birthday, I came home from college that weekend. I went out for a few drinks with friends Saturday night, the night before my birthday, and on my birthday went out to dinner with my parents and grandparents.

At least I can still remember it.

It's a damn lucky thing the apple did fall far from the tree in this case.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth corporateslave View Post
      Yeah, the poor thing sounds like she is trying not to be anything like her crazy mom. Poor, poor girl.
      Observing and learning from the mistakes of others is a very good thing and this young lady will benefit greatly from it.

Still, to have a harridan like that for a mother...poor girl, indeed.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
        I'm surprised the daughter didn't want to get drunk, having a mother like that!
        I think it was less about her not wanting to get drunk and more about her not wanting to get drunk with her mother at 2 in the afternoon. She probably went out that night, or a weekend night or something, and partied with her friends a bit.

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
          I dunno. The daughter seems to have turned out alright. Smart enough to not want to get drunk.

Probably saw what it did to her Mum.
          Makes sense. My niece has never touched cigarettes or drugs because of what it did to her mother, who spent a few years in a federal prison because of the later.

Smart girls, both of them.

Eric the Grey
          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

That's downright mortifying and I feel sorry for the poor girl, especially with having a mom like that. You could tell she's got a level head on her shoulders and not many people her age do.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I didn't drink until I turned 21, myself. Not because my parents were being strict, but because I just decided I didn't want to fall into the stereotype of the "teenager who starts drinking as soon as he gets the opportunity." My dad had said, "I don't know why you'd want to restrict your experiences like that, but I respect your decision."

I had people offering to buy me drinks or give me drinks now and then. When I worked as a receptionist/data entry clerk for an insurance company (temp job), I ended up working with the office IT guy on a website for a firefighters' association. I was basically put in charge of taking news items that were sent to my email and putting them on the website's news section. I got it well-organized and did it quickly, to the point the website's webmaster offered to take me out for a drink. I declined, as I was only 19.

My dad took me out for a beer my 21st birthday. He made a point of "starting me" on the "not-so-good" stuff by buying me a Budweiser. That alone may explain why I still don't drink that much, six years later.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

This story brings to mind an earlier incarnation of this board with the category "Parents to be proud of". If this OP is not an argument for resurrecting that category, you show me one. How about it mods?
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

How interesting. I remember right before my 21st birthday, I got a huge lecture on how I needed to be responsible, alcoholism runs very rampant on my mother's side of the family, both sides of the family have a very high tolerance but don't you dare use that to your advantage, etc etc, don't drive drunk.....

Wow. I appreciate that lecture now. So glad my parents didn't want to get "wasted" with me on my birthday. That would have been humiliating!
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                    This story brings to mind an earlier incarnation of this board with the category "Parents to be proud of". If this OP is not an argument for resurrecting that category, you show me one. How about it mods?
                    The problem with adding sections to the board is weighing it against factors such as how much use it will get. Do we honestly get enough parent stories to make an entire subforum useful? It'd probably get a thread or two a day, if that. Is it worth it to seperate them out in such a way? Are they stories deserving special attention? If we seperate out the stories about parents, do we start seperating out stories based on other characteristics of the customers? Do we allow stories in the section where the suck factor is not related to the fact they were parents, but they just happened to have a kid around? Is it worth the mods' time to have to make sure all the stories are corralled in the proper area? Keep the parent stories in there, move the ones that shouldn't be?

Each section of the board is weighed carefully before it's added, and usually deal with broad categories. Brain Burps was added because people had stories where the customer wasn't sucky, but it was still a story worth telling. Unsupportable is for phone centers/tech support that people outside the job area might not understand. CoC and MiM are obvious. Sightings is for SCs seen not at work. None of them really deal with characteristics of the customer. If you really think a specific tale is special, and worth preserving, there's always War Stories nominations, following proper procedure of course, and Raps is always on the look out for more stories for the front page, so feel free to suggest tales for that, if you don't quite think it's War Story material.

And of course, we do have the Bugs and Site Suggestions forum for anything you think might be a good idea to add to the site.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Upon reading the OP, especially the description of the mother, the first thought that popped in my head was "No wonder the poor girl's embarrased, her mum is a chav..."

Comment

Quoth Rasputin42x69 View Post
                        Upon reading the OP, especially the description of the mother, the first thought that popped in my head was "No wonder the poor girl's embarrased, her mum is a chav..."
                        She was VERY chavy. She wasn't wearing cheap sportsware though. Which was odd for a chav

Comment

I like WKD blue.

I feel sorry for the girl. What a bitch the mother was. What kind of person would curse out their kid for being responsible? In a country where binge drinking is turning into the norm' for those aged 14-21?

Oh, wait.

At least if she's 18, she can move out rather soon. And get away from the extreme-chavette of a 'mother'.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                            The problem with adding sections to the board is weighing it against factors such as how much use it will get. Do we honestly get enough parent stories to make an entire subforum useful? It'd probably get a thread or two a day, if that. Is it worth it to seperate them out in such a way? Are they stories deserving special attention? If we seperate out the stories about parents, do we start seperating out stories based on other characteristics of the customers? Do we allow stories in the section where the suck factor is not related to the fact they were parents, but they just happened to have a kid around? Is it worth the mods' time to have to make sure all the stories are corralled in the proper area? Keep the parent stories in there, move the ones that shouldn't be?
                            What he said. It's worth suggesting ideas, but we do carefully think about adding new sections.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                            X