This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valentines Day Suckage

Had to cover the jewelry counter all day. God I hate the jewelry counter...

Life's Tough
    SC: "Do you do ring sizing?"

Me: "No, we don't."

SC: "So you're telling me that if I buy a ring and take it somewhere for sizing, you don't pay for it?"

Me: "That's correct."

SC: "That's bullshit."

HELP ME NOW!!!!
    While helping one customer and having 3 or 4 others already waiting, a woman approaches at the end of the counter and starts hollering at me:

"Ma'am, ma'am! I could use some help here."

HELP ME NOW!!!!...part 2
    While helping another customer and having 3 or 4 others waiting, a woman approaches and says:

"I just have a quick question."

HELP ME NOW!!!!...part 3
    While helping a couple make a decision on a bracelet, a man with the patience of a 2 year old starts shifting his weight from side to side, tapping on the glass counters and sighing heavily.

He then exclaims, "It's obvious you're not going to help me."

Store Policy Doesn't Apply to Me
    Another SC needs a battery in his watch. It's a brand we do not sell so I tell him I cannot change it for him and point out one of the three signs posted at the counter stating store policy in plain English.

I Wasn't Born Yesterday, Lady
    A woman picks out a bracelet she wants and instead of having me bag it she wants to wear it. So I ring up her order but when she tried to use her store credit card to pay for the bracelet, it was declined. Seems she hadn't used the card in years so she decides she's going to go to the service desk to try to reactivate her account...while still wearing the bracelet.

HELP ME NOW!!!!...part 4
    While helping a customer and having 3 or 4 others waiting, a man approaches and in true SC fashion asks:

"Where are the Russell Stover candies?"

Math Is Hard
    Our jewelry is junk. Overpriced, chinzy, junk. It's ALWAYS 70% off the original price. But for Valentines day we've had an additional 10% off the reduced price for the last 3 days. When the SCs see this they then think they are getting 80% off the original price.

Since SCs can't read it stands to reason that they also can't do math. So EVERY SC asked me today: "How much is this at 80% off?"

I had to explain that they were not getting 80% off at least 15 million times this weekend.

What An Insightful Asshole You are
    While helping a customer and having 3 or 4 others waiting I hear: "You need to have more help up here."

Gee, thanks. That thought never crossed my mind.

Oh God I hate jewelry... AND people!
    Last edited by Retail Associate; 02-16-2009, 06:26 PM.
    Retail Haiku:
    Depression sets in.
    The hellhole is calling me ~
    I don't want to go.

I'm sorry you had such a rough day. Here have some chocolate.
    *offers up chocolates*

Comment

Has it occured to these idiots that we already KNOW we need more help!? A bunch of our cashiers got terminated cuz of the economy going to shit. Now that is NOT the cashier's fault that we are SHORT. Pisses me right off.

Comment

Quoth Retail Associate View Post
        While helping a customer and having 3 or 4 others waiting I hear: "You need to have more help up here."
        Go tell the manager that - they may have the power to get some more people on given enough complaints. I however, can do NOTHING, so kindly boil your head in a bucket of treacle if you've nothing more constructive to add.
        "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

SC: "So you're telling me that if I buy a ring and take it somewhere for sizing, you don't pay for it?"
          um. make sure it fits BEFORE you buy it then?

and yes it's possible to do that and still have it be a surprise. My boyfriend tried one of my rings on once and saw it fit his pinky.

He remembered that when he bought me a pink sapphire ring for my birthday ... even though I was in the US and he was still in Japan. So when I got the ring... it fit.

(the other way would be to borrow a ring while you buy the new one, to compare sizes and make sure they match)
          Last edited by PepperElf; 02-16-2009, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            um. make sure it fits BEFORE you buy it then
            The thing is, in all their infinite wisdom, TPTB in my store have decided that we will only carry rings in size 7. That's right...every womens ring we sell, excluding the wedding bands, is a size 7. (Mens rings are size 10.)

It's a stupid idea and one which is bound to piss off customers and I can't say I blame them. But I always point it out to them so they know that they will have to have a ring re-sized, at extra cost, somewhere else. We do lose a lot of ring sales because of this. We can special order rings but it takes up to 3 months to get them.

Many SCs will argue that we always used to resize rings but we never have. If I tell them we have never done it, they get angry.

Just another aspect of the jewelry counter that I hate.
            Retail Haiku:
            Depression sets in.
            The hellhole is calling me ~
            I don't want to go.

Comment

Btw %10 off from the final price from %70 off is %73 off, in case someone asks or can't comprehend it, tell them they're getting %73 off the original price....
              I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

I wasn't quite sure about that, but that's also the result I got.

Anyway, you could give them a 99.9% discount, and it still wouldn't be enough for those unique and special snowflakes.
                "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

When I was in retail, I did tell a couple of SCs that if they had issues with staffing that they should tell management directly; if I complained they would just ignore me; management would only listen to customers. I don't know if they ever complained; I never heard about it. Actually, I started falling into the habit of saying that any time a customer complained about staffing, the store layout, displays, etc.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                    I wasn't quite sure about that, but that's also the result I got.

Anyway, you could give them a 99.9% discount, and it still wouldn't be enough for those unique and special snowflakes.
                    But everywhere else will give me a 99.95% discount. I demand you match it!
                    "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

Working...
                    X