This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your point being?

Customer this morning presented me with a very expired coupon, after I'd rung up her order.

SC: "Here."
    Me: *looks at the coupon, notices that it's expired and well beyond the timeframe after expiration when we're allowed to accept them* "Ma'am, I'm sorry, I can't take this, it's expired."
    SC: "Well, all the other <store>'s I've ever been to take them expired!"
    Me: "That may be, but here, I can't."
    SC: *condescending* "I can tell *you're* someone who *always* follows the rules!"
    Me: *unable to help myself* "... This is a bad thing?"
    SC: "It's called customer service!"
    Me: "It's called a terminable offense, ma'am." (well, not exactly, but I'm sure our LP would love for it to be.)
    SC: "So? You should take my coupon!"
    Me: "Ma'am, I cannot. Would you still like both items?"
    SC: "Of course I want them, I also want you to take my coupon! You're not very nice, are you?" (I'd been extremely polite the entire time, perhaps a bit deadpan. Still, my coworker agreed that I'd been as nice as possible.)
    Me: "I'm sorry, ma'am, but I can't take it. Corporate considers taking expired coupons fraud. If you call <blank> they may be able to reprint it."
    SC: "Well, I don't want to do that! That's stupid! It's customer service, not fraud to take a coupon!"
    Me: "Ma'am, you'll have to take it up with corporate."
    Note that the customer had already swiped her card at this point, so I just hit the charge button. The register promptly spit out her receipt.
    SC: "Aren't you going to charge me?"
    Me: "Ma'am, the register doesn't require a signature for purchases under a certain amount, if that's what you mean. Have a nice day."

Grabbing her bag, she flounced off. I'm doubting she'll call corporate on me, and I have witnesses. Given her attitude, I wasn't even about to bend any rules for her, let alone break them.

But hey, at least I look like who I am, someone who follows the rules!

Quoth Cygnata View Post
    SC: *condescending* "I can tell *you're* someone who *always* follows the rules!"
    You incredulous rebel you! How dare you!?!?!
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Ah, the "cant you just bend the rules for me?" SC. Gotta love them.

Comment

What? She didn't pull the "But I come here all the time!" and "I'm never coming back!" cards?

That's one thing about my old tech support job: there weren't very many things we even COULD do that were against the rules. So if a caller wanted me to do something against the rules, chances are I had no way of doing it anyway.
        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth Cygnata View Post
          You're ruining it for others!!!

Quoth Cygnata View Post
          the register doesn't require a signature for purchases under a certain amount
          I wish we had that set up at work. Really, I do. It would make things so much easier!!
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Be Different: Conform!
            Bark like a chicken!

Comment

I always tell customers who are trying to use a coupon in an unintended manner or one which is expired, "I'm so sorry but our system won't even let me put it in. There no way for me to override it, either."

Of course, they don't know that we don't have a computer system, or even a "smart" register...but I have never had anyone argue with me after telling them that.
              "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
              -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth Skeksin View Post
                Be Different: Conform!
                You just made my latest tweet!
                Otaku

Comment

Working...
                X