This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont Make me Throw Up on your Shoes!

This story is about a year old and happened when I was first hired on at Ross. But it was the first SC I ever experienced and the one I really wish I could have chewed out....

This was the year I found out I was Hypoglycemic.. if I dont eat about every 2.5 hours... I crash Hard core... my work at this point however, was not so convinced. I was stuck on register and was going on my 4 hour mark with out so much as a 10 min break. I was starting to feel very sick to my stomach and light headed to the point I couldnt concentrate.... I was close to the end of this girls transaction and my vision started blacking... I called my manager and told her I needed a break NOW. Not in 5 min Not in 2 NOW!!!! At this point it was too late. I felt my knees give and I almost puked in the little trash under the register... it was a short conversation but it went like this....
    SC: Little Beotch who needs a slap in the face
    Me: i...dun...feel ...so good.

Me:.....mmmm... I'm.. sorry Miss... I'm going to have....to *urk* have some one else finish ringing you out.... I .... think I'm gonna pass out...

SC: Seriously! Come on! You Have TWO FUCKING ITEMS LEFT! Quit whining and scan em already!

Me: *If I can muster up some puke it's going on your shirt* I'm...sorry... But I...

SC: UhG! God! Just Scan the damn things and tell me my PRice!

I am seriously about to puke on her...that is if I can manage to lift myself up off the ground... when my Manager miraculously appears and has someone help me to the break room. I didnt see the rest but APPARENTLY .... my manager helped the girl with the rest of her transactions... apologized for ME! FOR ME! FOR ME PASSING OUT!!! WTF!!!! and Gave the little jerk a Discount for the delay!

How messed up is that....

I went home.... told my manager if she wanted to argue about it she could take it up with my doctor and possibly the court if she wanted to try and make me stay....

...she didnt make me stay...

but I had to pass out 3 more times before she took me seriously that I needed my breaks on time.... That's for another time though.....
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

What a bitch--the manager and the girl! Hell, if I saw a cashier about to pass out I'd probably send my hubbie to get help and see if I could catch you before you fell or something. People are idiots!! I'd probably have you sit down and offer to get you something. The nerve.

Comment

!!
      I cannot believe that you had to pass out 3 times in order to convince them that you had hypoglycemia (or for them to simply take you seriously!). That's just wrong. As for just this situation? ...ugh. Oh sure, HELP the SC be a gigantic toad whilst ignoring your underling who is CLEARLY sick. /sarcasm

for the manager and the SC.
      Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 02-22-2009, 11:38 AM. Reason: making more sense. sense-making is good.
      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
      -----
      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Gotta love work places that ignore medical conditions: Wifes mother has a bladder condition, IE 'personal breaks' are more required, she has this in writing from her doctor. Her HR dept said: WE do not honor doctors notes, you will be limited to 2 -15min breaks and a 1 hour lunch a day or you will be fired!
        Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
        pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

Oh ugh! I know that feeling when your work doesn't care about any special needs an employee might have. I worked for a certain company who's spokes-person is a certain mouse in red pants with big yellow buttons...

Anyway, I got sick. If you called-out, you got 3pts against you. But if you came-in for 3-hours and had to leave sick, you didn't get points against you. I was REALLY sick. For 2-3 days I came-in and tried to work my shift. I could not keep any food or liquid down, and I was...going alot. I naturally have low blood pressure and it got even lower, and I would start to pass-out. Get this, unless you suffered an injury on the job, you could not go to the company's health care center! So I had to take a bus to a walk-in clinic. My shifts began at about 4:30PM in the afternoon. I went to the clinic at about 7:00AM. I waited a few hours and was seen. It appeared I had food poisoning (Gee, I wonder where THAT happened!). I couldn't take medication orally so they gave me a shot to settle my stomach, then had me lay on a bed. The shot settled my stomach but made me sleepy and I fell asleep. They woke me-up and said I was good to go. As soon as I stepped-away from the bed... I was on the floor. They said my blood pressure had dropped from dehydration. Next think I know, I'm in an ambulance going to the hospital. It took 3-ivs to re-hydrate me and by that time I was in a room trying to get ahold of my supervisor; it was about an hour before my shift. I had been told by the doctor I could not work for at least a week and had paperwork stating this. Guess what? My Supervisor was not happy and told me that calling-out would still count points against me! Then I find-out that the company shuttle will not pick me-up from the hospital nor will they dispatch someone special. Here I am in a hospital I don't know where and stuck! Luckily I had relatives in the area and they picked me-up and let me stay with them while I got well. I was so mad at the company for treating me like that! I was an intern, they treated us all like that because they knew even if we left, there were a dozen people waiting to take our places.

Oh, I ended-up with a D on the internship, partly because of 'attendance issues!'
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I've actually had this problem several times.

I'm diabetic, and I have similar problems with eating regularly.

I tell my managers now, and I haven't had a problem (lately), but when I first started being a cashier, I almost did pass out a few times. I got light headed, started forgetting things, etc.

I had to complain several times before I could get a break.

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
              !!
              I cannot believe that you had to pass out 3 times in order to convince them that you had hypoglycemia (or for them to simply take you seriously!). That's just wrong. As for just this situation? ...ugh. Oh sure, HELP the SC be a gigantic toad whilst ignoring your underling who is CLEARLY sick. /sarcasm

for the manager and the SC.
              Well yeah. That's management for you. That sort of empathy for your peons is not needed or even wanted.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Such BS! I worked for Ross a long time ago, for a short while before I quit. That company will kill your soul.

Comment

Quoth wraiths_crono View Post
                  Gotta love work places that ignore medical conditions: Wifes mother has a bladder condition, IE 'personal breaks' are more required, she has this in writing from her doctor. Her HR dept said: WE do not honor doctors notes, you will be limited to 2 -15min breaks and a 1 hour lunch a day or you will be fired!
                  Thing with bladder infections (or any of the urinary tract) when you've gotta go you've gotta go. Either you go, or you make a puddle, in addition you're encouraged by the docs to go as often as possible.
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Your idiot manager needs to get up to speed on ADA and EEO laws. She NEEDS to be in complaince, or she and corporate can indeed get their a$$es fined and/or sued off. If not by you, then by the next employee they endanger. Here's a good site so you can arm yourself with your rights and info if this continues to be a problem.

http://www.ada.gov/
                    I will never go to school!

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                      Thing with bladder infections (or any of the urinary tract) when you've gotta go you've gotta go. Either you go, or you make a puddle, in addition you're encouraged by the docs to go as often as possible.

Yeah, but what do they know? It's not like they're doc- oh, wait....

Comment

first off. peanut butter crackers or cheese crackers.
                        when i was 14 i was diagnosed with PCOS 16 i was put on metformin because it was suppose to help, it made me sick, messed up my digestive tract and made me hypoglycemic, a condition i still suffer with because of my weight and because the metformin did part of its job and help redeveloped some rescipters.
                        in highschool i told my NURSING teacher of the problem.
                        i almost passed out, got sick more than a few times before i was aloud to eat in class.
                        butterfingers and crackers worked the best.

second next time sit on the ground and wait sitting can help
                        if oyu cant have food, those water bottle flavorings help too.

Comment

Re the Hypoglycemia.

If you can get hold of it Hypostop/Glucogel is a good one to carry, it's not food but its a sugar concentration that can be applied directly to the gums and is a good boost until you can get some proper food into you.
                          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Wraith I remember a court case in the laste 90's early 2000's where someone was fired for going to the restroom when their boss told them they couldn't, filed suit, and won. The judge was so pissed at the employer it was funny. The judge declared that going to the restroom was a right, not something that could be delegated by bosses.
                            If your mother wanted to she could have her place of employment strung up by its toe nails.

Comment

Wait, do I know you...? I know so many CW's from Cali...and told them about the site...

OT: Yup, that sounds about right for Ross. Damn bastards! :angry:

Comment

Working...
                              X