This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ranting Network is BAAAACK!

OK, new line of rants that I've noticed from working over two days. Please note that in Australia, the cashier does the bagging usually.
    This is the rundown of annoyance:

1) People who keep CONSTANTLY shoving their things up against the end of the conveyor belt. Do NOT keep doing this. I don't care about your reasons, it is annoying, implies that I'm slow (I'm not, my scanning rate is something like 12-14 items per minute) and not to mention, it is also incredibly rude. So don't give me a CBF when I inform you that your eggs are damaged as a result.

2) People who will grab items like cans, jars etc. that are behind something like fresh fruit and shove them in front of me when I'm packing other cans or jars. I had an order going and NOW you've ruined it

3) If I have to get an override or a price check, don't give me a CBF when I have to make about four or five calls to get the result, or I'm being put on hold. You'll get the same effect when you ring through to the government. We have red tape too...well more like really busy associates.

4) Yes, I have to check your bag. Store policy requires I do so. Yes, I can get fired for not doing it. And while corporate can make more managers in their labs, the same doesn't apply for us checkout peons. We're the fleshy growths off the managers in the labs

5) Do not bitch at me when I have to accompany you to the service desk if you a) want cigarettes, b) are paying by cheque or c) are paying through an account of some sort (we run accounts for those on foodstamp-type situations or for schools). We are required to do so for obvious reasons.

6) Sexist jokes are not funny. And yes, I do consider comments about how the boys are slower to be sexist. If anything, the male staff are just as polite, fast and intelligent as the female staff. Heck, even our manager is male (although the remainder of the management are female)

7) Please don't tell me that you're surprised that people still steal and/or scam. I'm surprised you still think that

8) Don't keep asking me for my opinion on how easy/hard it is to pack the green bags. Granted, I'm likely to get a negative reaction no matter what side I'm on, so for me it's safer that I don't say anything. (No, we have not been stabbed yet, but our manager had to call security after a verbal assault). My honest opinion-they're easier to pack, but harder to lift. (because we can pack more in them)

9) If you want the bags light, tell me BEFORE I start.

10) Please don't keep telling me "cold stuff goes in the cold bag." I have enough common sense to know and so do 3/4 of the staff. If you have a problem with the remaining 1/4 of staff, just don't go through them or complain to the service desk. Don't assume that I'm stupid. Or tell me WHEN you see me do it wrong.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I love the elderly people who dictate where everything goes. I don't know how it ends up happening, but I always get behind one when I go food shopping. After them I always try to be super sweet to the cashier, at least get them to crack a smile.

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
      1) ... implies that I'm slow (I'm not, my scanning rate is something like 12-14 items per minute)...
      Not to imply that you're slow, but does that include bagging time? And if they're from the US, it could be that they are used to faster service. The stores around here require cashiers to maintain a minimum 20 IPM (including bagging time) just to keep their job.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
        Not to imply that you're slow, but does that include bagging time? And if they're from the US, it could be that they are used to faster service. The stores around here require cashiers to maintain a minimum 20 IPM (including bagging time) just to keep their job.
        These guys are Australian. They say they're doing it to free up space for the next customer, which I don't mind, but to me it's still incredibly rude.

Quoth tendomentis
        Having worked grocery checking and bagging in my ealier years, I make it a point to coordinate the order I put things on the belt at the grocery to make things easier on the checker and/or bagger.

Example, frozen stuff goes on the belt together, cleaning supplies go on the belt together, breads and dry goods go on the belt together, etc... I know it makes me look OCD to the other customers, but I've had more than one cashier thank me quietly for putting my things up in already baggable units.

Which reminds me, how do grocers feel these days about the larger, reusable, "bring your own" recycled plastic grocery bags? I've been trying to use mine instead of using plastic or paper bags, but I don't know if I'm making the checker or baggers life more difficult.
        Because I don't do big shops, I haven't done this, but yeah, most people these days, even those who haven't worked retail, have enough common sense to stick everything in groups.

I really don't mention anything to customers about my opinion, but IMHO, they do make it a little easier if they're the square ones. While I can put a lot in them, it makes them heavier.

To sum it up=easier to pack, harder to lift.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth tendomentis
          Having worked grocery checking and bagging in my ealier years, I make it a point to coordinate the order I put things on the belt at the grocery to make things easier on the checker and/or bagger.
          You know, it's funny, but my dad did that when I was a kid. I think I asked once why and he told me it was to help the bagger by putting everything in order for them. By the time I was old enough to be shopping on my own, it was just something I did.

I'm beginning to suspect my parents taught me a lot more than I want to admit.
          It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Working...
          X