This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Banrion View Post
    I was working in the movie theatre at the time Dogma was released. Anyone who has watched the movie would know that while some controversial theories are presented, the ultimate message of the movie is "God Saves All.".

Heck, it's one of my favorite movies, and I'm an Athiest, It's harmless fun with with a little comedy and a little biblical horror, neither of which ever hurt anyone for watching them on a screen.

Some folks need to get over themsevles, the world does not and will never march to your drum, so why don't you do somthing constructive with your time on this mortal plane instead of finding things to get upset over.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I can't believe that Conner video... how ignorant!
      I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I guess all we (collective SC group) can do is...

Cross fingers and hope that Little Girl finds a way to expand imagination and get out from Stifling Mummy.

Little Girl, there are all kinds of faith and religion and spiritual beliefs out in this world. It will do you better in the long run to study many and look at them with an objective eye.

Let's hope that you open your heart and mind to the world and welcome all different kinds of people - even the lowest beggar might have a bit of wisdom you could use.

Let's hope that you stand up for your beliefs, whatever they may be, and say I am Myself, but do not tell Others that they are worse than you - because they are just different.

Let's hope that in your days of play you create things larger than you, your life and your current surroundings. That you can see through the Stifling Mummy's behavior and accept her as she is - but still believe in yourself.

Girl, I wish you the best of luck.

Cute
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
          If I'm thinking the right Carrie.... She had it coming for trying to drown her own daughter.
          Stephen King's novel "Carrie." Carrie's mom was much like this woman. Everything was sinful and dirty. When Carrie went to the prom, mom went ape, as you might imagine. When she returned covered in blood (if you've read the book), her mother tries to kill her with a butcher knife.

Cant' remember if she tried to drown her, but I don't think so.

But yeah, it was the first thing I thought about. Nothing could be fun, nothing could be lighthearted. The woman in the story thought her child was punishment for her sin of having sex with her husband, and as such, a shameful burden and sinful herself.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            Stephen King's novel "Carrie." Carrie's mom was much like this woman. Everything was sinful and dirty. When Carrie went to the prom, mom went ape, as you might imagine. When she returned covered in blood (if you've read the book), her mother tries to kill her with a butcher knife.

Cant' remember if she tried to drown her, but I don't think so.

But yeah, it was the first thing I thought about. Nothing could be fun, nothing could be lighthearted. The woman in the story thought her child was punishment for her sin of having sex with her husband, and as such, a shameful burden and sinful herself.
            Don't recall any attempted drownings. There was a choking incident when Carrie was three and her mother freaked at her talking to a bikini-clad neighbor, but Carrie won that round by bringing a rain of ice and stones down on the house.

Of course, the way Prom Night ended in the book (I'm much more familiar with that than with the movie) was basically a demolished town and a little mother-daughter reciprocal homicide (Margaret stabbed Carrie, who eventually died of blood loss and shock, Carrie gave her mother a heart attack via telekinesis. Makes my relationship with my mother, turbulent as it's been at times, look very sane and healthy, really ).
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth saint View Post
              Tria,
              You wouldn't happen to know of a place online, or a book that has the original fairy tales? I've been curoius, but havent been able to find any.
              I just did a quick search and found: http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~wbarker/fairies/grimm/ which seems to be the full Brothers Grimm collection.

Enjoy
              Random

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                Here?

Bwahahahahaha!

*snort*

As a side note, someone recently tried to attack a member here regarding matters nothing to do with this site - cyberstalking. I told them to hop it. In short, play nice and don't attack other people and their beliefs, and I'll do what I can to help you.

Free speech, though - heh...

Rapscallion
                A lot of people blather on about the "First Amendment" and "Free Speech" without actually realizing what it is.

The First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America reads:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
                All it says is that the Government isn't allowed to make laws limiting certain things. That's it. It does not stop you, or anyone else making your own rules.

For all those people who get the "Free Speech" thing shoved in your faces on a regular basis, how about copying out the actual First Amendment and putting it on some little cards so you can hand them out to the people who don't seem to know what they are talking about?

Enjoy
                Random (btw, I'm an Aussie, so I don't have to deal with any "Free Speech")

Comment

just going by the "Christmas is for church" comment, I'm willing to bet the woman is a Jehovah's witness.
                  Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

I wonder what this lady would do if she knew of someone like me. Hell, I get all my best ideas for my stories and stuff from my science books! Just think of what could be hiding under that huge rock in Australia!

And what about the books that are scientific studies on ghosts, aliens, ESP, and etc. THOSE aren't fiction.
                    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Re: Fairy Tales -- the original whitewashers were actually the Grimms. They started the first round of cleaning up, mostly to incorporate values into the tales that didn't have them, and they did it in stages. Their changes were largely minimal, but still there. Things have just progressed from that point, though some modern authors are harking back to the originals for rewrites.

I did a paper on this in college. ::cheese-eating grin:: Were I to go on for a Masters, I'd probably try to focus on folklore (myths, legends, fairy tales, etc.).

Re: Crazy-Mean Lady -- I seriously hope the worst she has to deal with in regards to her daughter is a child who refuses to talk to Mom once she's out on her own. Of course, I hope this on behalf of the child, not the mother. Hubby and I are deeply religious, and plenty of examples of fiction (especially such gems as Harry Potter, the Lord of the Rings, Dungeons & Dragons, etc.) adorn our shelves. (Yes, D&D is fiction. Interactive fiction. ) This lady really should read herself some Narnia.
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
                        No.... Christmas is YULE, Jesus was born in the spring about the time of the Passover.... Heck, I would've just told her to have a Happy New Year since yesterday was Samhain....
                        Uh, I just have to nitpick here, just can't help myself! Yule is 21 Dec, the Winter Solstice. It's always amazed me how important Christian holidays show up around the ancient Pagan holidays (please, no offense is meant, just noticing).

And does that dork, John Conner know that the pentagram (or pentacle) is really an ancient protection symbol. I know a lot of people think that two points up is for Satanist or people messing around with dark energies. Actually, for a lot of paths in Paganism, all it means is the 2nd degree! But why is he only picking on B&N? I know other bookstores must carry it, I've seen it at Borders!

But, oh my Gods and Goddesses (there's a reason I have that screen name)! That poor, innocent little girl! It sounds like the kid already knows that mom is off in left field. I wonder if she was in Alamogordo when they tried to burn the last Harry Potter book when it came out? Sweetheart, even though your mom probably thinks it's evil, I am asking for protection for you and all like you who are being brought up in this sad situation. Brightest blessings!

Now I have to go watch what his deal is with the Freemasons, due to my fascination with them and the Templars (ancestor was a Templar)!
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Thanks HalloranElder!
                          Things just get so crazy living life gets hard to do. I would gladly hit the road, get up and go if I knew,that someday it would bring me back to you.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                            So, did she tell you what is wrong with imagination in a child?
                            I thought of Eustace in Voyage of the Dawntreader, "all his books were full of pictures of grainelevators".
                            Hey, I take that personally, as a child from Iowa whose imagination was sparked by many a grain elevator.
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she ought fall down, let's you know she's hurting 'fore she keens...makes her a home."

Comment

Quoth counterjockey View Post
                              Hey, I take that personally, as a child from Iowa whose imagination was sparked by many a grain elevator.
                              You just take that up with C S Lewis .
                              I liked drawings of all things mechanical too when I was a child and grew up to be a bicycle mechanic so I understand you. Still, life is other things than grainelevators, there are dragons, elves, witchcraft and ancient gods too .

Comment

This whole topic reminds me of Ned Flanders saying to his kids: "And then Harry Potter and all his wizard friends went straight to hell for practicing witchcraft!"

Here's hoping that little girl grows up to be a satanist... that'll larn her mum! XD
                                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                                X