This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WiFi technical difficulties =/= False advertising

So, the <local market> advertises free WiFi for customers who are eating at either the counter or one of our 4 tables. I do accounting and IT support for the market and I often stop by for breakfast before work since it's only a couple hundred feet out of my way on the commute to my desk at the <inn>.

This morning, there was a man at the counter complaining that our WiFi was down. Now, to his credit, he wasn't yelling or even speaking loudly, just softly and very intensely. His tone indicated he was very upset. I had the joy of observing this while waiting for my breakfast, but I wasn't going to butt in off the clock. I came in somewhere in the middle of the conversation.

C: Cashier for the market
    WG: WiFi guy

C: Well, the internet is working on the guest computer in the back, you could use that one.

WG: I don't want that, I want the free WiFi that you advertise. I'm not getting anything on my laptop or on my cell phone so the problem is your WiFi network.

C: I'm sorry about that but the IT people aren't working yet.

WG: If you can't get my WiFi then that's false advertising. You're preventing me from doing important work while I'm having breakfast. I could sue you and have this place shut down. Now get it working or you'll be in the unemployment line.

C: Look, I can't do anything about it, but we'll have someone check it out. *she noticed me but didn't point me out to the guy. Yay! And she went to the register to ring out the growing line of people who just wanted to get out*

After paying for my sandwich, I told C that I'd come back after I was clocked in to work on the WiFi. When I got back after clocking in, the WiFi was working fine. I did check that the customer with 'imporant work' was able to connect.

I wish I had been paying attention to his laptop when I was off the clock. The entire right hand side of the case is being held together by duct tape. In fact, the only thing holding his wireless card in place is a wad of duct tape. I wonder why he has trouble connecting? But, I can't make smartass remarks to customers on the clock, so I had to let it slide.

Oh, and his 'important work'? Reading articles on Fark.com. I'm sure that couldn't wait until later in the day. Jackass.

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
    Oh, and his 'important work'? Reading articles on Fark.com. I'm sure that couldn't wait until later in the day. Jackass.
    Now, if it had been CS.com...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I could sue you and have this place shut down. Now get it working or you'll be in the unemployment line.
      no he couldn't

it's a perk not a right
      most lawyers will only listen to him if they need a good laugh. ... and most of them don't need a laugh *that* badly.

Comment

What a jerk. We had a SC complain that our "free WiFi" wasn't working. The "Green bread store" at the other end of the plaza has free WiFi but their is no way their signal will reach our store 500+ feet away. I suspect he found the signal for our store use only WiFi.

Comment

SC: Do you guys have WiFi?
          Me: No we don't.
          SC: But your a bookstore, you should have WiFi.
          Me: No....we....don't.
          SC: Well, can you tell me what place has WiFi?
          Me: That I don't know.
          SC: Your useless!!
          Me: Ask a question, expect an honest answer sunshine.

(Gah, whats with people nowadays?)

Comment

Working...
          X