Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was during a blizzard the last time I ordered a pizza delivered. I felt kind of bad, but I'd just worked all day, was in NO mood to cook, and had fought the roads coming home. (Fortunately my commute is VERY short and non-hazardous.) The delivery dude appeared to be quite the sad panda as he came to my door.

He'd also left my credit slip for signing at the place, but that was only a small hiccup in the process. I took my pizza inside to set it on a table and then had to chase him a bit for his tip. He seemed pleasantly shocked at the ten I handed him for a $17 order. It was close to Christmas and the weather was atrocious. I hope it made his night.
    My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
      It is literally the biggest day of the year at my local pizza joint. And who says North Woodsers aren't romantic?

I hear you Racket Man - I know a few of the drivers for the place above and they were swamped. Took the county decreeing the roads CLOSED to stop the boss man from sending them out.
      Or you have a boyfriend who's birthday is V-day and has long since gotten sick and tired of waiting for a table and being hassled about being a V-day baby, so chillin' at home with good hockey game, pizza and his favorite Granville Island beer(maple cream ale) with me(who doesn't care about a fancy V-day) is a good birthday/V-day for him

Comment

Guilty.

Of course, we had no car, and the nearest store was 6 blocks away, and we had nothing to eat, and it was windchill 40 below. I mean, it sucks, and we felt bad and tipped well. I just didn't want to venture out into the ice planet hoth. At least the guy had a warm car, and little traffic, and, it being Montreal, nobody gives a damn how icy it is, they're used to it.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
          Oh and Pagan even 30MPH or better winds around here are is not the end of the world. maybe combining that with snow or rain might make a difference but not much
          Heh, it was warm enough yesterday that we had quite the sandstorm. Often they have to close I-10 between Deming and Lordsburg (oh, my Goddess, is that a desolate stretch of road) because of zero visibility from blowing sand.

And, depending where you are, there's usually some smoke mixed in as there's usually a fire somewhere in the state.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
            sorry
            Just remember, I know where you work.

Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

To all those apologizing for ordering in inclement weather.

I can't speak for R_M, but I have done delivery several times over the years and gotta say - that's what it's FOR.

Yeah, it is nice to tool around in the warmth of an early summer evening with the wind on your face and the cut grass smell. But the money is when you are hustling from house to house. Which only happens when people don't want to do that lovely driving themselves.

So if you're reluctant to order in 'cause YOU wouldn't want to go out 'in it' don't forget that the driver is going out in it anyway - it'd be nice if he could do an occasional delivery to someone who isn't a SC.

Comment

If you cant afford a tip you can't afford something to be delivered. Pick it up yourself. And if you dont have the money to tip you can't eat out at a restaurant or get drinks at a bar or whatever.

Now I dont tip because I feel I have to. I tip because I want to, there are times I've left no tip for people but ONLY when the service I got was so awful that it was flat out not warrented (most recent example was about a year go me and a friend went for breakfast, there were 3 people in this little diner. myself, my friend, and an old man drinking coffee and reading the paper.)

one waitress (but thats fine there was only 3 customers). She finally took our drink orders after roughly 15 minutes of us watching her chat with the person doing cash. Acted like serving us was the most difficult and aggravating thing in the world and after we got our drinks we sat for roughly 30 min before she decided to make an appearance to take our food orders. (i've had this same server before and it's been similar service all the time so this wasn't a 1 time incident).

so consequently she got no tip. However If i get even regular service (not exceptional just what one expects at a restaurant/diner/whatever) i'll tip on average 15 - 20 % (more if I get amazing service because, well.. they've earned it).
                Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                  To all those apologizing for ordering in inclement weather.

I can't speak for R_M, but I have done delivery several times over the years and gotta say - that's what it's FOR.

Yeah, it is nice to tool around in the warmth of an early summer evening with the wind on your face and the cut grass smell. But the money is when you are hustling from house to house. Which only happens when people don't want to do that lovely driving themselves.

So if you're reluctant to order in 'cause YOU wouldn't want to go out 'in it' don't forget that the driver is going out in it anyway - it'd be nice if he could do an occasional delivery to someone who isn't a SC.
                  SMS sorry did not see your reply until this thread got bumped.

I do not mind delivering in really bad weather. I really don't. I am a good enough driver and I know my limits.

what gets me is the fact that people are NOT grateful for having their nice cheesey goodness delivered in a blinding snow storm. OH yes they give me that great one line verbal tip like: Oh be careful out there" as they give me 25 cents on a $40 order OR "OH Stay warm " (as they straight stiff me on a $30 order OR the classic "OH HAVE A NICE NIGHT": as they straight stiff me (yeah right I will tell that to my landlord or the gas company or the phone company or my insurance company when I write them a check for 400 "HAVE A GOOD NIGHT"s to try and pay my bills.

I do like my job. and yes I worked white collar professional jobs for many a year but gave that up just for the shear stupidity of the corp office setting.
                  Last edited by Racket_Man; 08-06-2009, 11:40 AM.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

The weird thing is, we always had the *opposite* happen down heah in tha Deep Sayouth, where snow is all but a legend...When the heavens would open up and torrents of rain would cascade down upon us, INSIDE business would skyrocket. Literally, as in 1 walk-in every 4 hours to 4 orders every half an hour. It was nuts >_<
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It's sad you still have to go out in weather like that. Maybe someday delivery places will have a policy of no delivery in weather that could impact the safety of its drivers.
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                        It's sad you still have to go out in weather like that. Maybe someday delivery places will have a policy of no delivery in weather that could impact the safety of its drivers.
                        Well....

ALL driving impacts the safety of the drivers. The big difference is that we are professional drivers who know where we are going and how to get there safely.

I totally understood that people didn't want to go out and get food in weather I considered an inconvenience at worst. I was happy to do it for them and was good at it. Heck, I've been PO'd when management DID shut down deliveries for inclement - it's often when you can make some serious cash.

I've never had a weather related accident in my life and probably never will.
                        (oops - I take that back. Dale Hock rear ended me on an ice covered road in '76, and it was my fault - I'd left enough distance to stop myself from hitting the car in front of me, but not enough to move up after.)

Comment

Working...
                        X