This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haven't posted in a while, but I think today merits it

Haven't been very active recently, primarily due to only coming back to my job a month or two ago, but aside from a few scattered incidents that might have been worth it at the time, there hasn't been much to say. And most of those I forgot.

But today was interesting.

I first came in a few minutes late. Not much, maybe 3-4, and within the leeway management gives us on the time clock. But as I was coming in, this kid in a black jacket runs out the front of the store and is grabbed just as he gets to the parking lot by a second guy, who's waving a bottle of wine in the kid's face while holding him by the jacket. At first I'm worried that I'm about to see a beatdown, but I get closer and see the second guy is wearing a store jacket and recognize him as the daytime loss prevention guy, who I don't see too often as I generally work evenings.

LP is telling the kid to just sit still and cooperate until the police got there. Then got to see LP drag the kid upstairs to the office. Turns out he was trying to steal that bottle of wine and got caught. Not too impressive, until I later overheard the MoD talking to the supervisor. MoD had been a witness for the cop who showed up to get the thief, and got to hear his story. Apparently he had just come from the hospital, where he had been for his son's birth, and wanted some wine to celebrate, but didn't feel like paying for it.

That's a great way to start off your life.

Anyway, I'm on the books as a bagger, but was scheduled as cashier all week. However, we were swamped and shorthanded on baggers so I was brought back to that position. Not long into my shift, I found out why. Turns out one of the baggers - let's call him S - had been fired that morning for theft. This was surprising, since S had always been a decent worker and a pretty laid-back guy. It became even more confusing when one of the deli workers told me he'd been fired over stealing an $8.99 barbecue rib dinner box. Not much to lose your job over. Then I learned from another cashier that it had come out S had been stealing food and drinks for months, and had pretty much had all his meals free courtesy the store. It was only now he'd been caught.

Then later I learned we were down another bagger because B had finally been let go. B was never particularly helpful, always trying to get out of work, showing up late, and vanishing for half an hour at a time when on the clock. They finally fired her after two no-call-no-shows in a row.

And finally, I got to see our evening/overnight LP walking someone out of the store while lecturing him quite loudly about having been told to never come back here again once before, and that alcohol offenses were serious business. LP later told me the guy had bought a case of beer at one point, then gone outside and started sharing can with his underage friends in the parking lot. They were, obviously, caught and banned from the store, and the guy's license number was flagged for having alcohol-related crimes on it. He for some reason came back to the same location for more beer, and when he checked out and gave his ID was picked up again.

So yeah, my day's been interesting.
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Alocohol brings out the best in some people, doesn't it?
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
      Alocohol brings out the stupidest in some people, doesn't it?
      Edited for accuracy. Damn - when I was that age, I knew better than to drink it right outside the place where we may possibly, hypothetically have obtained it.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
        Apparently he had just come from the hospital, where he had been for his son's birth, and wanted some wine to celebrate, but didn't feel like paying for it.
        just when you think you've heard it all.....
        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
        What's the difference?
        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
          just when you think you've heard it all.....
          Oh no, that's not the worst I've heard.

There was an auto accident in Atlanta, GA where a woman was ejected from the car she was in. Several good samaritans stopped to render aid and call the EMTs to the scene. While waiting for the ambulance to show, the lady asked one of the first responders for a cell phone to call her relatives, and he complied. The woman made the call then kept the cellphone, insisting it was hers. Not wanting to agrivate her injuries, he let it go thinking that she might be addled from the crash, and would return it later. Over the next couple of weeks, the gentleman tried to reason with the woman to get the cellphone back, even calling the police about it. Finally he had to cancel his account on that phone and get a new one.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Jeez, that's a pretty big low in stupidity. As for the other two employees, they pretty much hung themselves.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
            X