This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day after cigarette tax...

Lots of b*tching and disbelief but two stand out...

My boss remodeled so you can no longer help yourself. We have to go and get everything but candy and pop for you.

This guy came in and theres a line of like 4 people waiting. He tried to go behind the new counter and is told he can no longer go back there. He turns around and leaves but then as the door closes he SPITS on the door.

I waited on a guy and told him we didnt have the roll-your-own tobacco he wanted but had only one brand right now. I tell him the price and he said NO WAY! And started towards the door, I told him to wait until he sees the prices for the brand he wanted. He asked what I said and I told him the brand he wanted went from $11 with tax to $40+ with tax. He turned around and started towards the door and I heard him say F*CK YOU ALL!

Quoth VenomX View Post
    $11 with tax to $40+ with tax.!
    Man, I am so glad I don't smoke anymore!
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
      I got scared off that by ironically growing tobacco. I picked bugs off that plant daily--imagine the pesticides that the pros must used for a decent yield. My ex-gf smoked and I magine she's considering quitting. I wouldn' t know for sure as I haven't seen her since '99 or spoken to here since '01.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

They're all mad cause they need their nicotene!

I tried quitting once. I wasn't too bad the first day, but the second day I yelled at my roommate cause my soup was hot... but he didn't make the soup

Comment

I paid $4.36 for a pack of Marlboro Menthol 72's today for my fiance. It's really not much more than what we've *been* paying. I don't know how much the tax is supposed to increase the price, but I'm not seeinga drastic increase here.

Comment

I haven't had to get more ciggs yet since the prices went up, but I heard Marlboro and Camel are well over $6 a pack now. Great.

Even the cheaper brands are at least $5-$6 a pack. Blech.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
              I'm glad I never started. And if I still haven't started after 40 years, I don't think I'm going to.

It's got to suck for my friends, though. Almost every one of my friends smoke, including one who rolls her own. I can't imagine she's too happy.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth CiggyStoreClerk View Post
                I tried quitting once. I wasn't too bad the first day, but the second day I yelled at my roommate cause my soup was hot... but he didn't make the soup

Sounds like when I was coming off antidepressants. I yelled at a bus for stopping... at a bus stop.

Comment

I am SO glad I don't smoke.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                    Sounds like when I was coming off antidepressants. I yelled at a bus for stopping... at a bus stop.
                    Sorry, I know it's wrong for me to laugh at that, but it's just the mental imagery. I've been doing that a bit lately...I'm coming off of mine. But not yelling at a bus for stopping at a bus stop...more getting annoyed at people needing plastic bags.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I remember when I quit back in 2000. I was paying for $1.80 for a pack of Marlboro Lights and they were already going for $2.20 across the state line in Michigan. And I thought it was ridiculous to pay over 2 bucks for a pack!

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                        Sorry, I know it's wrong for me to laugh at that, but
                        Now it's all over, it's OK to laugh at it.

Comment

I see all the numbers being tossed around and I wondered just what the tax increase was. A Google search revealed that the federal tax on a pack of cigarettes increased from $0.39 to $1.01. Here is a chart of the new taxes. This is just the federal taxes which are in addition to all the state taxes. I'm glad I don't use tobacco.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Got you beat.

Where I work, Marbs, Camels, and Newports all went up to 8.30 after tax. The same price that American Spirits were before the tax increase.

Those aren't the highest prices either.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                              I got scared off that by ironically growing tobacco. I picked bugs off that plant daily--imagine the pesticides that the pros must used for a decent yield. My ex-gf smoked and I magine she's considering quitting. I wouldn' t know for sure as I haven't seen her since '99 or spoken to here since '01.
                              Pesticides are the least of your worries, where manufactured cigarettes are concerned.

Glad I never got in the habit - $40?! Jesus.
                              "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

Working...
                              X