Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brave and stupid all rolled into one...

So this morning I was standing at the cash office waiting for change and I hear that a customer has checked into the hotel and paid with a check.No problem but then he started ordering drinks ,alcohol,and food.Totaling about 1000.The hotel girl thought this was funny because he paid all with checks and no one person has ever rung up that much crap,just weddings and parties. So the girl was in the cash office was finding the guys check so she could call his bank and inquire if the checks were good. Flash forward to about an hour ago.The hotel found out this loser has no money in his account.
    So I see the head admistrator,the hotel girl and a policeman going up to the hotel. But the sad news is that the loser was long gone. I really hate people like this.Like my title says this man is brave and stupid all rolled into one.

He probably thought you wouldn't check that quickly.

That, or he was a scammer and was using someone elses checks. I hate identity theives!

Comment

Quoth Jbball View Post
      He probably thought you wouldn't check that quickly.

That, or he was a scammer and was using someone elses checks. I hate identity theives!
      Well, considering he was already long gone, I think he did think they'd check that quickly...sly bastard...
      Last edited by Fox One; 04-09-2009, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I thought hotels always required a credit card associated to a hotel reservation? I know I haven't stayed at a hotel in at least the last 20 years that didn't require a card.

I am guessing the checks were likely stolen ... no one is dumb enough to pull this with their own info on the line ... may have even been using stolen credit cards also.
        Tamezin

Comment

UPDATE:

I talked to one of the front desk people.It was one of the college kids that work nightshift that took the check.And she didn't get id.So yes the checks were stolen.I really don't know how people do this,I would be scared and shake the whole time I was writing the check.

Comment

Quoth candyshopgirl View Post
            I would be scared and shake the whole time I was writing the check.
            See, you basically have to split your focus. Don't think about what you're doing. Think about bunnies. Let your hand go on auto-pilot. Anyone can hide nerves with a bit of practice.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              See, you basically have to split your focus. Don't think about what you're doing. Think about bunnies. Let your hand go on auto-pilot. Anyone can hide nerves with a bit of practice.
              I think this guy had to be a little nuts. There are tons of security guards with guns walking around the union. Since there are constance shift changes,which means people walking around with money tills. I'd love to see one of the guards tackle someone one day

Comment

Psychopath. Has no interest or care about anyone but himself.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Must be the brother of the girl we caught at my hotel years ago. Spent over $2,000 in checks from Fri to Sat night. Caught her Sat night. She was counting on nothing going to the bank until Monday, but did not count on the desk clerk being suspicious of her purse full of checkbooks.

PS. If she hadn't pissed and moaned about the front desk not cashing a check for 10$ over the amount they were allowed, they never would have taken a 2nd look at her, and she would have gotten away with it. My first bust. Out the main entrance, right past a crowd checking-in, handcuffs and all

Not sure if she would have gotten away with it, since they had a photocopy of her ID, and she lived not a mile away
                  "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    Or a whole lot more.

If asked you to name the best con man you've ever met, you probably wouldn't give me the right answer because the best con man you've ever met was so good you never even knew he was a con man.
                    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

There are places you can still pay for things using checks?!

Dude. The only places I've been that accepted checks were the places I pay my bills (and not all of them) and my University.
                      Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                      Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

I wasn't aware hotels even took checks. Our hotel does not unless it gets OKed ahead of time by management. At the first hotel I worked at, someone got fired for taking a bad check.
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                          My first bust. Out the main entrance, right past a crowd checking-in, handcuffs and all
                          Perp walk. Cool.
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                            Or a whole lot more.

If asked you to name the best con man you've ever met, you probably wouldn't give me the right answer because the best con man you've ever met was so good you never even knew he was a con man.
                            The very best con men and women (yes women too) actually believe their own lies. There is no bad body language or hesitation in the lie to pick up on, just a person telling a story they absolutely believe. Read "Son of a Grifter" by Kent Walker about his mother Sante Kimes.

The first paragraph of the book is about what a good liar his mother was.

In some way I can pick these people. I don't know how I do it, but I just get a bad feeling about them. It's very strange, but I just want to get away from them - I feel so bad about them. It's not even when they are telling lies that I get the bad feeling.

Comment

Working...
                            X