X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a deadline for a reason!

*sigh*

Six weeks to go 'till my "home" convention on Memorial Day weekend and I've already turned down four costume commissions because they were requested after my deadline. (March 20)

The latest one went like this:

"I'm really desperate to have this coat done, but I don't want to go on eBay. Will you do it for me, pretty please with sugar on top?"
    "When do you need it?" (Hopes it's not Memorial Day weekend, knowing full well that's gonna be his response.)
    "Memorial Day weekend."
    (Dammit. I knew it.) "Can't guarantee delivery by that date. Still got two that I have to get out, plus my own costumes."
    "Well, how much do you charge?"
    "$15/hour."
    "Is there any way you can have it done by Memorial Day weekend?"
    (Sure. If I drop everything else I need to get done in six weeks.) "It's a VERY slim chance. I'll take the commission, but I'm NOT promising Memorial Day delivery."
    "Well, I don't mean to be rude, but do you have any friends taking commissions that can do it?"
    ( >_< ) "Not this late in the game."

Yes, dumbass. I do have commission-taking friends that can do it. And, surprise, surprise, they are all just as busy as I am getting stuff done for clients that have enough respect for our time to order commissions well in advance. On top of working a "real" job and other activities.

Oh, really? This is the only convention you get to attend during the year and you really want this coat to wear at the convention? So you've known about this convention for a whole year, but are just now looking for people to commission for your coat. How is this my problem?

You fail at life. Try again.

Now to get back to work on that halter-top...
    A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

good thing you didnt actually tell him the only way would be to drop the other clients

cos he would have demanded that you do it

Comment

Isn't there a saying here that would fit this situation?

Oh yes: failure to plan on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Is this for A-kon? (only con i can think of that's approaching...)

Comment

For the non-USians, when is Memorial Day weekend?
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
            It the same weekend as the Indy 500.
            Which is another way of saying I (sadly) don't know. Last weekend of May, I think?

(Cheated and looked it up. May 25th this year. I probably oughta know these things.)

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              Memorial day is the last monday in May. This year, that's May 25th. So Memorial day weekend is the 23rd-25th (including the monday off for the holiday). Sadly the 24th is when my vacation is going to be over. *whine*

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
                Is this for A-kon? (only con i can think of that's approaching...)
                Could also be Anime Boston...that's Memorial Day weekend as well.

Oh, and for all the other nonUs-ers out there, it's a three-day weekend with the Monday of that weekend as the observed holiday. The purpose is to remember the men and women in the military who lost their lives in the line of duty.

Or as my boss at Namco called it, "Open-Your-Pool-and-Complain-Because-It's-Green" Day.

Comment

I think this is what the non us members are actually asking for

"Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (on May 25 in 2009). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. men and women who died while in military service to their country. "

Ala wikipedia
                  I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

Actually, it's Animazement, which is in Raleigh, NC. I'd love to check out Anime Boston because I have family in Gloucester, but it's always the same weekend as AZ.

A-Kon is the weekend after. (That's a whole other rant, dealing with a stupid skank that's using Awesome Former Co-Worker Friend as a sugar daddy and only wants to do a certain costume because I've done it. She says she has someone lined up to make it for her, but I have the sneaking suspicion that she's going to ask to borrow mine two days before she leaves for Texas. )

Now to run out and get some paper clay because my client finally gave me her deposit to make her damned necklace...
                    A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

I'm going to an event over Memorial Day weekend. Not a con but I need to clothes and stuff for it. I'm planning on ordering stuff from Etsy. I started looking a few weeks ago and will order everything I want by Monday. Even though most of the custom stuff I want will take less than a month (most are 2 weeks), I'm PLANNING AHEAD. Guess some people can't figure that out.

Comment

If I thought I could pull it off without my 3 year old (or the cat) "helping" I'd probably start sewing in home too. Bring in a bit of income, stay home with Grandma, and not go stir crazy from being "unproductive".
                        Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Might we ask for some photos of your lovely work? I am insanely curious.
                          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                            Might we ask for some photos of your lovely work? I am insanely curious.
                            Ask and ye shall receive.

Comment

Quoth Tigress View Post
                              Actually, it's Animazement, which is in Raleigh, NC. I'd love to check out Anime Boston because I have family in Gloucester, but it's always the same weekend as AZ.

A-Kon is the weekend after. (That's a whole other rant, dealing with a stupid skank that's using Awesome Former Co-Worker Friend as a sugar daddy and only wants to do a certain costume because I've done it. She says she has someone lined up to make it for her, but I have the sneaking suspicion that she's going to ask to borrow mine two days before she leaves for Texas. )

Now to run out and get some paper clay because my client finally gave me her deposit to make her damned necklace...
                              Hmph. In Texas, we don't take kindly to that bs :P

My cos is simple: blue BDU's, an airsoft pistol, and a [TUCKER] nametag.

Comment

Working...
                              X