This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously, do your arms not work?

One of my biggest pet-peeves at work is people who put baskets on the belt and won't unload them. The belt is on motion sensor, and sometimes if I'm busy, they'll go all the way down and get caught in the counter, sometimes damaging the items.

They basically sit it there and don't do anything! Dude! Do your arms not work? Do you have some condition where you can't lift things? You could lift that basket full of stuff! I am not your lackey, UNPACK YOUR OWN. DAMN. BASKET.

http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
    Now appearing in comic form!

I absolutely loathe those people... even more when they keep putting things into the basket as I'm taking stuff out to scan... Those special special people... I stopped posting because it began bringing out homicidal urges.

Sometimes though, when I see it's a bunch of small hard items like toothpaste or deodorant, etc. I'll dump their items out of the basket. Well, I use to, anyway, unfortunately, in my training to not kill every customer that comes by, I've gotten use to the basket dealy.

Good luck and muffins.

Comment

Most the places here have a little shelf before the conveyor for you to place the basket on to unload it ( You know, yourself. ).

That said a few places here will unload the basket for you, but they do this because they don't have conveyors. So its easier for them if you just set the basket up by the scanner ( and will ask you to do so ).

I've never seen anyone place a basket on a conveyor though, as that would strike me as remarkably stupid.. -.-

Comment

I've done it before. Mostly to keep my purchases together as the conveyor's moving. I'm a little obsessive that way - I like to keep what I'm purchasing together.

The only other time I'll do it is when there's nowhere to put the basket. I usually unload and put the basket at the end of the aisle, but if there's no space there, given the narrowness of the aisles themselves, it's easier to put the basket on the conveyor.
        The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

I do it all the time- I'll unload the basket if I'm the only one on the belt, but for whatever drug-induced mental trauma went on with the architects, the ONLY places around here that have somewhere that you can place the basket are the self-checkout kiosks... and not all the grocery stores have those.

If I don't have somewhere else to put it, the basket goes on the belt. And even when I do unload it, the empty basket sits there on the belt taking up space, because there's nowhere for me to stack it- the stacks next to the entrance are 40 feet away, and I don't think anyone appreciates my wasting the time to go stack the basket before I pay. After I pay, I'm carrying all the bags, and very rarely have a hand free.

It's one of those setups where you just wonder how many times you'd have to brick yourself in the forehead before you were qualified to design the register layouts. But both the food lions and the harris teeters are like that round here. Heck, the Teeters are worse- the clerk is stuck at the head of the register, so if I have stuff in both hands I have to hand them things one hand at a time before I can even get out my wallet. They only have a shelf about nine inches wide and then the scanner is RIGHT there. If I set a gallon of milk down there, it's even odds the clerk will hit it with their elbow because of the crap layout. Forget setting a loaded basket there.
          "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

Most stores here have a space under the end of the belt to stack the empty baskets. I usually put my basket on the belt and unload it from there, then put it underneath. A few stores don't have a space for them so I'll leave it on the belt behind my stuff, and the cashier will take it and put it on the other side of the counter.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I loathe people who expect me to empty their basket for them.

I really do.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

How about the ones who put their purse on the moving belt. Then you watch as the lift the purse then set it back down than repeat. Like they don't know that the lovely platforms designed to set your personal crap on exists. Or they put money on the belt and you have to scramble to grab it before the belt eats it. I love people....

Comment

Quoth SG15Z View Post
                  How about the ones who put their purse on the moving belt. Then you watch as the lift the purse then set it back down than repeat. Like they don't know that the lovely platforms designed to set your personal crap on exists. Or they put money on the belt and you have to scramble to grab it before the belt eats it. I love people....
                  I had a woman in front of me in line keep moving her purchase back as the belt moved. Seriously, lady, I'm trying to unload my stuff, here. That's what the divider is for - so the cashier will know where the order in front of yours ends. Use it.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    I had a woman in front of me in line keep moving her purchase back as the belt moved. Seriously, lady, I'm trying to unload my stuff, here. That's what the divider is for - so the cashier will know where the order in front of yours ends. Use it.
                    Yeah I have people who do that too! I also have people who start unloading when the person in front of them is still unloading!

Comment

I always put my basket on the belt and unload it. Only one person has ever stopped me from unloading it myself. When i am done, I take the basket back myself.
                      "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

This happens at the library a lot. Parents come in to borrow, oh, a few 20-30 picture books for their kids in large canvas bags and just plunk them down on the counter. I ask for their library card and then just sit there waiting. They either look at me or around until I kindly ask them to please take the books out of their bag(s) so I can check them out. Sorry guys, but I don't get paid to unpack and then pack your books for you.

I will, however, do it for the elderly patrons, and patrons in wheelchairs, scooters, etc. You know, the people who actually NEED assistance.
                        I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand. -- Linus Van Pelt

Comment

Wait, what's the big deal? I do that. Not because I'm too lazy to unload it, but because I didn't realize it was a big deal.

Seriously, of course you'd unload a cart, but why do you have to unload a basket? I mean, it's an open-topped thing you can easily reach into. It should be no harder to acess than if something was just lying on the belt. If I'm using one of my own shopping bags or baskets to hold my stuff, yeah, of course I unload it because I will want to use that same receptacle to carry my stuff out once it's paid for, so it needs to be empty. Plus, a bag or a deep basket (such as I have) is harder to unload But a shallow, open store basket? Heck, I thought it would actually be good for keeping the stuff organized for the cashier, especially if there are a lot of folks in line. No question about where one lot of stuff stops and another starts, especially if there is no divider. Which sometimes there isn't.

Jeeze. I didn't realize I was transgressing.

Comment

I do this as well! I didn't realise that it was an annoyance! I usually leave my basket on the belt and once they move it to the other side, I will walk the basket back (sometimes I even take multiple baskets back with me if there are more than mine...just an old habit from past work!) Sorry to all those cashiers I've annoyed!
                            Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

A few weeks ago my nine-year-old daughter and I were at the supermarket waiting in line. When the woman in front of me plopped down a full basket of stuff on the belt, I told my daughter to wait a bit and allow some space before she started to unload our cart.

When my daughter asked me why I wanted to leave space, I raised my voice a little and told her that we needed to allow some room for the lady to unload her basket. My daughter looked at the basket, then at the lady who obviously was trying to avoid eye contact with her or me, then said that she didn't think the lady was going to unload her basket. I responded a little louder than before that of course the lady was going to unload her basket as no able-bodied person would be so rude to a cashier as to expect the cashier to unload it for her. I then told my daughter the lady probably was just taking a short break and would start to unload any moment now.

The woman hesitantly put her hand in the basket and slowly started to pull stuff out and put it on the belt, I remarked to my daughter about how I knew she was a polite lady. The woman never looked at me, but the cashier had a big grin on his face.
                              "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                              .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Working...
                              X