X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Dips' Boss vs. Check-Cashing Lady

This happened on Friday.

Some background first. I'll call Mr. Dips' boss "Chris" to make this easier to type and read. Chris buys and sell precious metals as well as coins. For silver he buys 80 cents under spot and sells at 80 cents over spot. Spot being the current market price per ounce. This reduces his risk of losing money and gives him an opportunity to make some profit. He's in business to make money, after all.

So a lady walks into the coin shop to sell a 10oz. bar of silver. She accepted the offered price and Chris cut her a check. He told her that she can cash it at her bank or at his bank down the street and gave her directions.

Just another routinely pleasant transaction.

She leaves and the peace lasted for about ten minutes.

She came storming back in outraged. Why? It turns out that Chris's bank charges non-customers a free to cash checks, asks for ID and collects a thumbprint. Whether the bank should or shouldn't have those polices is quite open to debate (but not here, please). The point is that the coin shop is not the bank. So she was yelling and screaming at the wrong folks.

Chris has, to put it mildly, a very low threshold for bullshit and a temper. He was trying to bravely calm the storm and suggest she cash it at another bank, like HERS.

It didn't help. She got even madder and started demanding that he take the check back and give her back her silver bar.

He told her that he'd be happy to sell her the silver bar. At 80 cents over spot.

Oh, she didn't like that one bit. She couldn't believe he'd charge her $16 to get her silver bar back. She called him a crook and demanded *her* silver bar back.

That's when the boss started yelling back, "Lady, you sold it to *me.* It's *my* silver bar now. If you want to buy my silver bar from me, the price is 80 cents over spot. If you don't want to buy it from me, take your check and get out!"

She left.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

"And make sure the door hits you on the way out!"

Awesome. You're boss is the best.
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

And it's Chris's problem that she can't take the damn check to her own bank....why?

The whole thing was well-played on his side of things.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

We deal with this all the time. The problem is that many of the people selling to us (and I imagine to coin and metal dealers) are living on the margins and can't open an account, the banks refuse them one.

Your boss should have offered to pay her in cash, cover the banks charge, or get an account with a bank that doesn't do this. We did the last.
        Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
          Your boss should have offered to pay her in cash, cover the banks charge, or get an account with a bank that doesn't do this. We did the last.
          He's not my boss. Even if he were, I'm not inclined to tell him how to run his business.
          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
            He's not my boss. Even if he were, I'm not inclined to tell him how to run his business.
            Agreed. Also, I wonder if bossman might've been more accommodating had the woman not turned into a raging-a-hole.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

i guess he could offer to pay her in cash instead of the check, but that's his business

Comment

It's not his responsibility what happens to a check after it leaves his business, so long as it doesn't bounce.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                  He's not my boss.

Then the thread title is very mis-leading. Bait and switch. Dips, I just had to.

Riddle me this, why didn't she go to her bank, if she had one. Or atleast Walmart. Or maybe another check cashing place.
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                    Then the thread title is very mis-leading. Bait and switch. Dips, I just had to.
                    <chuckle> I'm just Dips. Mr. Dips is my husband.

Quoth powerboy View Post
                    Riddle me this, why didn't she go to her bank, if she had one. Or atleast Walmart. Or maybe another check cashing place.
                    Who knows why she agreed to accept a check in the first place instead of selling elsewhere? Trying to untangle the thought process of an SC is an exercise in futility.

I asked Mr. Dips why the boss didn't pay cash and he started laughing. He said that the boss isn't about to start keeping tens of thousands in cash sitting around in the store on the off chance that someone might come in and sell him gold or silver. It's not just incredibly unsafe, it's that money sitting in the store doesn't earn him interest. He willingly pays cash in smaller amounts like $20 or $50, but this woman's sale was for over $1000 and she agreed to take the check and walked out the door with it. Once she did that, what she does with it is her problem as long as the check is good (which it is).

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                      And it's Chris's problem that she can't take the damn check to her own bank....why?
                      I am willing to bet that she does not have a bank...if she did, it wouldn't be a big deal.

No, wait...if she did have a bank...it may have been a few more blocks away from Chris's bank...causing a HUGE inconvience (sp?)
                      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

We deal with this all the time. The problem is that many of the people selling to us (and I imagine to coin and metal dealers) are living on the margins and can't open an account, the banks refuse them one.

I dont get that (about banks refusing them) I mean I opened an account when i was, literally, a broke college student.
                        as long as i had SOME money to put in they opened it (i had about $5 on me when i was @ the bank that day) n they were fine w/it.

But anyways yea, the lady could've just taken the check to HER bank. (or one of those 'check cashing' places if need be)
                        Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Quoth MergedLoki View Post
                          But anyways yea, the lady could've just taken the check to HER bank. (or one of those 'check cashing' places if need be)
                          IIRC (not having need of one in ages, now) the check cashing places also charge for the service, and seek some variety of positive identification of the one presenting the check.
                          No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

There's one more option that the lady had/has: Take the check, and use it to OPEN an account at Chris's bank. I'd be willing to bet money that they wouldn't charge her a fee THEN...

Comment

I guess every crowd has a silver whining.

(geez! Even I groaned at that one.)
                              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
                              X