Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life Lesson 9: Getting on the Kid's Level Can Backfire (Long Fantasies of violence!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Lesson 9: Getting on the Kid's Level Can Backfire (Long Fantasies of violence!)

Some background: This occurred when during my second year as a counselor, which was my first year in the oldest guy unit. Even though I had only been one unit younger (8 - 11, but I was in the oldest cabin in the unit so mostly 10 & 11) it was a world of difference as I am sure parents/child care professionals would agree.

Disclaimers: There are two things I should preface before I go into this story. The first thing is that I loathe bullies. I have never and will never hit a child, but nothing has brought me closer than to see one or more kids picking on a smaller kid, and yes I see the irony in me hitting those kids as I would be a bully. The second thing is that I have absolutely no problem with homosexuals. I am all for gay marriage, my sister is gay, I have gay friends, etc.

Onto the story!

One week in my cabin I had two mismatched campers. One was a really sweet kid named "Kris"(names changed to protect the guilty and innocent alike). Now Kris was a great really well behaved kid. The problem is he was very effeminate. Kids, especially bullies, can sense a kid like Kris like a shark can sense a drop of blood miles away. Enter the other kid "Cartman". I will post a collection of Cartman stories in another thread, but this one stands apart. This must be a new thing, because when I was growing up it was the fat kids that got picked on, but hey good for them I guess.

Now Kris did have a cousin there "Alex who did not get picked on, because he was very athletic and could whip the shit out of Cartman (oh how I wish he had), so he tried to protect Kris, but Cartman was ruthless. We had to deal with Cartman picking on Kris several times during the one week they were together, and I will post those with Cartman's masterworks, but this one was the last one (not because we got through to him, but it was the last day).

After the morning activities, all the kids go back to the cabin for cabin time. This is one of the very few "unsupervised" times we have at camp, because the counselors have to wait for all the kids to leave the activity to make sure they go back to their cabins and also the counselor has to pack up the activity. That summer I was the riflery director, which was one of the more "pack up" intensive activities, additionally, the oldest guy cabins are on the complete other side of camp from my activity. Therefore I have one of the longest walks back to the cabins. The other counselors know this and try to hustle to compensate.

For some reason, this day I found myself first back to the cabin. I hear yelling inside my cabin so I run inside. What a shock, Cartman and Kris are yelling at each other. I put myself in the middle and get them to start yelling. Cartman has a self satisfied smile on his piggy face, and of course, Kris is in tears. I tell Cartman to go outside with the other kids, and I turn to talk to Kris. He walks out the back door and heads for the woods. I take off after him, but he is so upset that he is running. I chase him and finally catch him.

I tell him that I understand he is upset, but that he needs to tell me what is wrong so I can fix it and not to run away from me, because I want to help. This is where, with the best of intentions I make a mistake. I get down on Kris' level. That means I kneel down in front of him, so we are now face to face. Now the "camp counselor textbook" would say that is the right thing to do. Getting down on their level makes you less intimidating and more accessible. It really can do wonders. The problem is I am face to face with Kris. I ask him what happened, and he replies in his almost stereotypical lisp (also his voice hasn't changed yet which makes it much worse). "Well, Cartman came into the cabin and me and Alex, we was hugging."

My eyes went wide with shock and pain. Shock over what he said, and pain because I had just bit the inside of my mouth hard enough to draw blood to keep from laughing. I mean come on!! Of course Cartman gave you shit for that! Poor kid. Cartman had waited for Alex to go to the bathroom before ripping into Kris calling him a fag and queer and whatever else his simple little mind could come up with while dreaming about lunch.

What could I do? I calmed Kris down, made more idle threats to Cartman, and informed his parents he has a bullying problem when they came to pick him up. Of course there is no way their cute little pookey snookums, baby-waybe could possible be a bully .
    Last edited by Dips; 05-11-2009, 08:16 PM.

Your title made me think you dealt with a really bratty kid to be honest. But wow, I can't believe that Cartman kid picked on Kris for him and his cousin Alex for hugging. I'm wondering if Cartman's parents gave him a talking to or just straight denied it because he's their widdle pwecious snowflake that could do no wrong.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Believe it. Teenagers are nothing if not cruel. As far as the parents go... I was not surprised. I have a ton of sucky parents stories but they all have a common theme: denial.

Comment

yea bullies = shit.

"This must be a new thing, because when I was growing up it was the fat kids that got picked on, but hey good for them I guess."

well.. yea but look @ north america (see I didn't just single out the USA. i included Canada too :P lol im fair to everyone). fat kids/people ARE the majority now.

and yea.. up here in canada it's not AS bad as down in the states. but iw ork in healthcare and the textbook 'average' patient. is, in reality, our THIN patient. average is defiently overweight/ or straight up fat nowadays.
        Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

What's wrong with male relatives hugging? is my question. I've never understood people's negative reaction to it...

Comment

Ah, but are the overweight people all unhealthy?

Normal is in the mind. There is no such thing. There can be textbook and average, but normal is a fallacy.

You can be overweight and not unhealthy. Of course, most overweiht people tend to also be unhealthy, but the two conditions aren't joined at the hip, as it were.

Plus, the vast majority of the "thin" people I know are actually in worse health than the "fat" ones. Go figure.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Code:
              sed -e 's/Cartman/Dudley Dursley/g' < post
              No further comment required...

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
                What's wrong with male relatives hugging? is my question. I've never understood people's negative reaction to it...
                When you get to my age--nothing.

When you're 10 or 11, you don't quite understand that and there's more pressure from your peers to be "one of the guys", so to speak. And insults get tossed around more freely when you're that age. I did nothing remotely close to hugging another guy and still got called gay, among other things, at that age.

This is not to let Cartman off the hook. He is quite clearly a bully. That's just how cruel kids that age can be.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I was fortunate never to have been called gay. I grew up in a school that was told to be accepting of things people can't change. So as effeminate as I was, I never got called gay.

They teased me for breaking my arm instead. =D

Edit: Of all my male friends, most of whom went to public school, I was the only one who never got called gay. Turns out I'm ALSO the only one who actually is.
                  Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 07-19-2009, 12:57 AM.
                  Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

Quoth Terl1982 View Post
                    This is where, with the best of intentions I make a mistake. I get down on Kris' level. That means I kneel down in front of him, so we are now face to face. Now the "camp counselor textbook" would say that is the right thing to do. Getting down on their level makes you less intimidating and more accessible. It really can do wonders. The problem is I am face to face with Kris. I ask him what happened, and he replies in his almost stereotypical lisp (also his voice hasn't changed yet which makes it much worse). "Well, Cartman came into the cabin and me and Alex, we was hugging."

My eyes went wide with shock and pain. Shock over what he said, and pain because I had just bit the inside of my mouth hard enough to draw blood to keep from laughing.
                    I'm a bit lost as to why you felt this was a mistake. Was it because you put yourself at his eye level where he would see the stifled smile?

Comment

Working...
                    X