This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it hurt to say goodbye to me?

At the end of the flight we say goodbye to the delightful passengers.

Amazing the number of pax who blatently ignore us or make a snarky comment like "This airline sucks!"

We have fed and watered you for free and got you to the destination safely. Yet so many cannot manage a simple "thanks" or "bye."

I make sure that I try and say "why you are very welcome," as the grumps get off to acknowledge their rudeness.

These are also the people who ignore me the crew when they get on. I generally either keep saying 'hello' until they have to respond or check their boarding card wordlessy and treat them that way the rest of the flight.
    No longer a flight atttendant!

Generally when flying I make a point to greet the steward/stewardess at the door while boarding, and also make sure to thank them as I'm getting off, largely cause I know what it is like to have to deal with large numbers of people, the majority of them likely being inconsiderate little prats, and generally every little bit of extra praise does count, making them feel a little more appreciated
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
      We have fed and watered you for free
      I assumed the cost of the food and beverage was all tied into the price of the plane fare.

As for the passengers ignoring the crew as they leave, that's just rude.
      I've had customers like that over the years, and, in fact, it was a customer like that who was my main incentive to join this place.
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
        Generally when flying I make a point to greet the steward/stewardess at the door while boarding, and also make sure to thank them as I'm getting off
        I do the same thing. The airline crew has a tough job, and thanking them for their service is the least I can do.
        Last edited by Ree; 05-09-2009, 03:25 PM. Reason: Editing quote
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

No matter how late the flight is, we always offer a friendly greeting when we board. No matter how rough the flight was, and there have been several times when the plane lost an engine, we always say thanks when we leave.

We know what flight attendants have to put up with and applaud them for the great job they do under often very trying circumstances. We know that the job of a flight attendant is to keep us safe. Making us comfortable is of secondary importance. We really appreciate what these people do. Flight attendants deserve all the props they can get.
          Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
            At the end of the flight we say goodbye to the delightful passengers.

Amazing the number of pax who blatently ignore us or make a snarky comment like "This airline sucks!"
            You mean you guys actually are paying attention to the passengers at that point?

I always got the impression (at least from Southwest Airlines) that this was a pro forma act, and that the attendants were saying it without thinking or really looking at the people walking past them.

Hearing your reply of "why you are very welcome," to the "This airline sucks!" remark therefore would not have surprised me in the least.

I always learn something on this board.
            "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
            .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
              You mean you guys actually are paying attention to the passengers at that point?

I always got the impression (at least from Southwest Airlines) that this was a pro forma act, and that the attendants were saying it without thinking or really looking at the people walking past them.

Hearing your reply of "why you are very welcome," to the "This airline sucks!" remark therefore would not have surprised me in the least.

I always learn something on this board.
              Yep, it's always polite to acknowledge passengers-after all, they are keeping the airline in business etc. If I had had some nice passengers they always look me in the eye and say "thanks so much," which is always welcome.

I say goodbye to passengers, it seems only fair (and they would be the first to complain about rudeness) to acknowledge me in return.

That said, I have flown on other airlines where the crew are either absent at disembarkation or talking amongst themselves, ignoring passengers.

Comment

On my very first flight I was probably the extreme opposite. I was thanking the flight attendant, the pilot, the person I handed my ticket to and the security guards for making this a safe flight because I was absolutely terrified.

I actually asked the stewardess if I could go to the bathroom when the plane was in the air because I honestly did not know the protocal and she was so polite about it even though I was twenty-three and quite capable of going with out permission.

I couldn't have thanked her enough. I would have tipped her if I thought it was appropriate.
                Last edited by NateTheChops; 05-09-2009, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                  I assumed the cost of the food and beverage was all tied into the price of the plane fare.
                  Many airlines these days charge for food and drink inflight. The airline I work for does not and in many cases it's airfares are sometimes cheaper than the low-cost airlines who charge for food and drink. Therefore I think the darling passengers should be thankful they get a free drink and sandwich!

Comment

I make a point of saying "Hi" as i get on/off planes...however, after a dodgy landing I have been known to ask the pilot/co if we had landed, or were just shot down?
                    (yeah, some aircrew are a bit "up themselves"...but the cabin staff are usually nice)
                    Last edited by lineswine; 05-09-2009, 05:21 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Quoth lineswine View Post
                      (yeah, some aircrew are a bit "up themselves"...but the cabin staff are usually nice)

Part of the reason I move down here from Northwest Florida is to go to Flight School. I promise to be a nice pilot.

One of my favorite experiences was flying back home from San Francisco with a connection through Atlanta. We got from Atlanta to Pensacola but the fog was so thick we had to go all the way back to Atlanta. The next flight didn't leave for like 8 hours. Sure it sucked, but Atlanta's airport rocks, there is always something to do. So I surfed my laptop and hung out in the Delta Crown Room Club. By the time the next morning rolled around we got on the plane and the pilot came on and said

"Okay folks, it's time for round 2 of our Atlanta to Pensacola service. Please remember that smoking is prohibited on all flights within the USA. However I only have enough fuel to make it TO Pensacola, not back to Atlanta. Therefore if we get there and there is too much fog to land, smoke em if you got em!"

Comment

When I landed in Key West I don't think I said anything to the staff, but then I was just trying to remain upright as my ears were so clogged I just staggered to a chair in the airport while the rest of our group got their luggage. I hate flying. (I did thank the flight attendants on the rest of the trip, though. This leg was just a little 20-person plane from Miami to the island. There wasn't a "flight attendant," per se.)
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth MrSunshineState View Post
                          "Okay folks, it's time for round 2 of our Atlanta to Pensacola service. Please remember that smoking is prohibited on all flights within the USA. However I only have enough fuel to make it TO Pensacola, not back to Atlanta. Therefore if we get there and there is too much fog to land, smoke em if you got em!"
                          Sounds like your pilot may have learned to fly in the Air Force or Navy. Those guys usually have the best jokes when stuff starts happening. I was flying from Ft. Walton Beach to DC for a TDY, and as we came over Ft. Stewart, GA, we ran into some extreme turbulance. The pilot came on the intercom and said "Ladies and gentelmen, as you can see I've turned the seatbelt light back on. We're currently over Ft. Stewart, home of the 3rd Infantry Division, and they've asked us to participate in an anti-aircraft training excersise. We may be in for a rough ride for the next few minutes."

Needless to say, the civilian half of the passengers nearly shat themselves, while us goons in uniform laughed our asses off.

Comment

Flight attendants have one of the hardest jobs I think.

You have to attend to the needs of 300-400 strangers who you cant get away from. Work long hours crossing dozens of time zones. Have to be perfectly groomed and "happy" you entire shift and you do this while hurtling thru the air thousands of feet above the ground in a small metal tube travelling at fenominal speeds.

I always greet flight attendants and try to remember their names where possible. I have found the majority of EW's on flights tend to be people who have never been in a customer service position.

You guys rock! and with the exception of 1 flight from Sydney to Singapore, I have always had a positive experiance with flight crews. Sadly I have never had any "funny" annoucements or such on my flights. The most exciting was a flight from Johanasberg to Sydney where 4 hours in to the flight an attendant suddenly yelled "code blue" (I think that was it) grabbed a diffribulator and rushed to the back of the plane. about 2 mins later an announcement came over asking if there was a doctor on board. We weren't diverted and there were no EMT's waiting on our arrival so I assume it all turned out for the best.
                            "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                            "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                            "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

The only time I have failed to thank the flight crew on my way out are the few times I have gotten air sickness and feel as though I am going to hurl on everything... I usually sprint off the airplane if I can. Ta hell with the rest of the world.

^_^ But alot of us do really appreciate you guys! Weren't for you our lazy asses would be stuck driving.....*shudders*
                              "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                              -Red

Comment

Working...
                              X