This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
    ah, the conveniently forgetting English customer... I love those. I get them all the time... they have flawless, accentless, english, until I try to explain that if they smoke in the room it's a $200 fine... all the sudden the only words they know in english are "no speak english" and "no understand".
    I have a brilliant solution for this one. I used this when I used to work the front desk of a hotel myself.

Follow up with "I'm afraid I can't book the room for you then. You must agree to these terms and since you don't understand the terms I can't legally have you sign this document stating that you agree to them and by company policy if this document is not signed I can't let you stay in the room."

The best part is, this is the absolute truth. If you let someone who can't understand what they are signing sign a legally binding document (IE you will be fined $200 for smoking in the room please sign here to agree to this) then you could get in very big trouble and open yourself up to a lawsuit from the person in question.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
      ah, the conveniently forgetting English customer... I love those. I get them all the time... they have flawless, accentless, english, until I try to explain that if they smoke in the room it's a $200 fine... all the sudden the only words they know in english are "no speak english" and "no understand".
      I damn near reached into a newspaper to strangle a (Chinese) writer recently. He was writing an article on haggling prices, techniques, why to do it, etc.. I utterly DESPISE hagglers so this got my blood boiling, but I've learnt that I have to share the world with these assclowns among others... anyways... fine, whatever, that was until I hit the last paragraph, where he advised anyone in a failing negotiation to throw on the stereotypical smile and suddenly stop speaking english... "no, no, 2 dolla?, 2 dolla?" I meant to write this dumbass, but let it slip my mind.
      D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
      Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth SirWired
        While I was at it, I broke New Jersey law too.
        You pumped your own gas?!?!?!
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Slytovhand View Post
          But... if they can't speak english, they probably can't read it either....
          That's why I suggested the drawings.
          and even people who can't read the language can usually understand "200". Only countries I can think off off the top of my head that uses different numerals are ones like the UAE, Bahrain - but they actually use both styles.

and everyone understands handcuffs I hope

Comment

Working...
          X