This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 little questions I hate the most:

Working as a night auditor at a downtown Victoria (B.C.) [Canada] hotel, there are 3 questions which I'm guaranteed to get asked a dozen times each every night, triple that amount on weekends, which just drive me nuts.

Most of the questioners aren't even guests, just passers-by who's moth-like intellect is matched by their moth-like instinct to be drawn towards the light and do something stupid.

Question #1: Where's the nearest place to get a pack of smokes?
    Answer: 3 blocks down there's a 7-11 open 24 hours a day.
    This question isn't so bad by itself; The reason I hate it is that the response is ALWAYS cat-butt face with a comment about how far it is. It's THREE BLOCKS. You need smokes at 3:30am on a tuesday, a 5 minute walk does not seem unreasonable. At least once a week, someone asks me to call them a cab to get their precious nicotine, spents 20 minutes waiting for it, 10 bucks cab fare, then winds up standing outside for another 10 minutes cause we don't have any smoking rooms at this location.

Question #2: Can you call me a cab?
    Again, not unreasonable. I'm more than happy to arrange a cab for guests of the hotel and call their room when it arrives.
    What makes me hate this one is that 75% of the people who ask me are NOT guests of the hotel, and most of them have cell phones with them.
    Also, here's the thing about cabs in this town after midnight: At any given moment, there are about 40-60 cabs operating, and public transit ceases at midnight. Between 1:30am and 3:00am when the bars empty out, there will be over ONE THOUSAND people competing for those 40-60 cabs. Also, this city allows cabbies to pick-up flag down fares, which means after spending 45 minutes waiting on hold with the dispatcher, your cab picks up the guy who whistled at him when he was still a block away. You get to start over. On weekends, when the weather is bad, I've seen people have to wait over 4 hours for a cab.

Question #3: Do you have an ATM/Bank machine?
    My most despised query of them all. First off: No. We do not have a bank machine. Also, we are not a bank. Do you walk into your bank and ask to use the jacuzzi? This is a hotel. As much as possible, we discourage cash in favor of credit cards. The part that really bugs me though, is that this question ALWAYS comes from someone who's just come from a bar. EVERY bar in town has an atm. In fact, I worked it out one night: With 1 exception, to get from any bar to my hotel, you had to have passed a minimum of 6, maximum (assuming a direct path) of 11 24-hour access bank machines. But you, you decided to walk past all of them so you could come bother me.
    Then I had a realization: After about 2 months of hating this particular question, it occured to me: EVERYTHING here accepts bank and credit cards. Even the cabs, even the pizza guys. The only things you could be getting at this time of night that you cant use plastic for are drugs or hookers
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Ouch, ouch and is all I can say.

My three despised questions and statements are:

1) Where is the service desk/cigarettes? (they walk right past them, past about 4 or 5 registers to ask me this!) (background: most Australian stores have cigarettes behind the service desk)
    2) If it doesn't scan it must be free! Uhhh no....the evil side in me has wanted to add one of our 15c bags to their grocery bill as well for that. (I just give them a death glare and continue)
    3) I think the government should do <insert thing here> for ANY issue. Similar to here, how political/religious related stuff leads into Fratching, I do not tolerate ANY political or religious comments on my checkout. I do not get paid to be a soundboard and I do not appreciate having to listen to comments being shoved down my throat and me being forced to listen. (Have NOT said "stop" yet, am planning on doing so)
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

My most hated question is "So, how do you like your new store?" because I've been in it for 6 months, and I've been asked the question for 6 months. It's lost it's novelty.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Questions 1 and 3 have the same answer when I get asked it. Question 1 isn't as common for me as the other 2. Question 2 is especially annoying for me.

I have found a way to politely shift that responsibility back to the guests.

Guest: Hi can you call me a cab?
        Me: Sure, let me get the phone numbers of 2 cab companies. They're easy to remember and our local calls are free.

That usually seems to do the trick.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
        X