X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hagglers, and other gripes

A bit of background:

I'm in college working on a geology degree. On a part-time basis, I collaborate with a very dear friend to do gem & mineral shows around my state as a way of making a few extra dollars. We sell everything from gemstones worth hundreds of dollars to polished stones at a few dollars apiece, and get a pretty wide variety of customers.

Most of the customers are actually very nice, but there's always a few.....

Hagglers

"The price is too high!"

I'm sorry. NO, I will NOT sell you that gemstone worth $500 for less than 1/5 of the marked price, no matter how much you whine, plead, and beg. The profit margin in this business is already extremely narrow, and I'm not about to sell something at a major loss just because you think you're entitled to it.....that price tag is there for a reason.....

Mind you, I give discounts to cute small children, and people who are exceptionally nice, because I can. However, you are neither cute nor nice, so go away.

Just insulting

No, insulting my product will not make me suddenly feel like giving you a better price on that crystal you want to buy. I know I have nice material, and so do you (if it's really crap, like you say, why do you want it so badly you're willing to spend 20 minutes arguing with me and trying to convince me to part with it at a lower price?)

Oh, did I mention, I'm already selling it at well below the price the gemologist appraised it at? The price isn't the problem, the product isn't the problem......the only problem here is the customer.

No, it's not free

I understand it perhaps confused your poor little brain that the price tag was missing. The shows are typically outdoors, and between the wind, small children handling things, and a myriad of other things often dislodges the price tags. When this happens, just ask the nice lady behind the counter, and she will be happy to tell you the price and even put a new sticker on it. NO, the missing price tag DOES NOT MEAN YOU MAY HAVE IT FOR FREE!

Geez, people!

Don't come to a gem show while high on meth

I understand, you're too wired when you're tweaking to sit at home in front of the TV. But please, I really don't want to see you come visit my booth. As you come up to my booth with your sunken eyes greasy hair, the foul odor emanating from your mouth full of brown, slimy, decaying teeth is enough to make my paying customers edge away and leave. You pepper me with indecipherable rapid-fire questions while you jitter around my booth picking up all of my most expensive specimens, probably hoping I'll look away long enough for you to slip one into your pocket unnoticed.

Of course, I don't know that I'd have been able to stop you from just grabbing something and running, so thank you for not doing that.

Shoplifters

I never seem to see you in action, which frustrates me to no end. There's usually at least one of you per show. Thankfully, it's rare that you get away with anything really valuable, but it's still quite hurtful that someone would steal from me.

If I ever see one of you in action, you're not going to get away with it.
    After I have relieved you of my purloined items, I shall tie you to a chair, lock you in a small room, turn on a continuous replay loop of Hannah Montana songs, and leave you there to suffer out your days........I feel that would be a fitting punishment for your crimes.

Yeah. Honestly I don't mind haggling in and of itself, but there's a difference between making a lower offer and whining that the price is way too high. And a difference between making a lower offer and making an insulting offer too.

I'll usually drop a few bucks on something, if somebody asks politely. But the people who wail that it's too expensive and I'm a rip off get told to go take a hike.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
      I'll usually drop a few bucks on something, if somebody asks politely. But the people who wail that it's too expensive and I'm a rip off get told to go take a hike.
      Yeah, I'm actually quite willing to be flexible on the prices within reason ($100 specimen, and you make me an offer for $90? I'll certainly consider it).

But the ones who who try to make offers so low it's insulting, that just makes me mad.

If I'm selling something for $500, chances are good I paid at least $400 for it...and I'm paying for the booth space, gas, motel room, food.....that doesn't leave much profit margin (or any, in some cases....I lost money this last weekend ). I'm not about to sell it at a $300 loss to appease rude customer.

Comment

Oooh shiny gemstones

I haven't bought any from specific flea markets, but my current crystal/mineral/gemstone collection involves:

-Uncut pieces of rose quartz, pyrite and amethyst.
        -Polished pieces of sodalite, onyx, rhodonite, blue agate and tigers eye.
        -A pendant of rose quartz.

I love them
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Ooooh, gemstones!

I don't have much, just a selenite sphere, malachite sphere, grossular garnet sphere, two cool agate spheres that look a bit like and remind me of Jupiter and Neptune, an amethyst pendulum, moonstone, jasper, granite, sandstone (yeah I know, not gems but still precious to me anyway), quartz, pearl, amethyst point, cluster and rock, labradorite, jade, goldstone and some others I don't know what they are.

Now in my bead box, I have too much to count.
          Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

My rock collection consists of a big chunk of amethyst, a chunk of labradorite, smallish chunks of celestite and fluorite, a polished black moonstone orb and a polished ball of a fossilized mud puddle (I forget what they're called), and a big citrine crystal. Plus pebbles of polished tiger eye, lapis lazuli, and two pendants -- rose quartz and hematoid quartz (a quartz crystal with blood-red inclusions) that I wear around my neck.

I get discounts at the rock shop, incidentally, because I'm not a dick to the store clerks.
            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I love the way this website nerds out on every possible subject.

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
                I love the way this website nerds out on every possible subject.
                I'm delighted to find that there are other rock nerds on here, as well.

Comment

Rocks can be neat!

I've got a chunk of opal in the matrix, and I've also got a fiber optic sphere (not a natural formation, but still really neat to look at).

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Am I the only one that will see a rock on the ground and think, "That looks spiffy," and drop it in my pocket? I don't care what they are; I have them because they look neat.

In fact, I bought my land because of the rock formations on it. I call them "dinosaur turds" because that's what they look like! I think they are really some kind of sedimentary with flint mixed in.
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                      Am I the only one that will see a rock on the ground and think, "That looks spiffy," and drop it in my pocket?
                      I collect them too..... there are now cool rocks filling my shelves, my closet, the space under my bed, scattered across my desk......

No, I'm not obsessed, why do you ask?

Comment

Heeee. I collect rocks and gems too. I collect a lot of random crap.... I don't think I could list off my collection, I have too many.
                        The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                          Am I the only one that will see a rock on the ground and think, "That looks spiffy," and drop it in my pocket? I don't care what they are; I have them because they look neat.
                          No, no you're not. I've had to change where I take my morning walk because of picking up rocks.

Quoth Neeps View Post
                          I collect them too..... there are now cool rocks filling my shelves, my closet, the space under my bed, scattered across my desk......

No, I'm not obsessed, why do you ask?
                          But I'm not this bad....yet.

I picked up a bunch of obsidian last time I was out at Soda Dam. Plus a bunch of others. There was bunches of gorgeous rocks out there. That's also where I found my staff, just stuck randomly in a scrub oak.
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

ooh, shinies! *__*

i also will pick up random rocks that appeal to me; it might be ocd talking, but i have to touch it, yes i do.
                            look! it's ghengis khan!
                            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                              I call them "dinosaur turds" because that's what they look like!
                              I've seen 'coprolites,' real 'dinosaur turds,' for sale once at the Nature Company!
                              Last edited by SailorMan; 05-21-2009, 12:23 AM.
                              Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

Working...
                              X