This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding Janitorial Folk...

OKAY. First story. I've read a chunk of the other threads so I think I've figured out a good way of formatting this. If it turns out choppy, um...Sorry?

Flackback about three, four years ago (Has it really been that long?! o.o) during the summertime. The local factory had a habit of hiring the children of their workers for summer-temp jobs. I got on my junior year as a night-shift janitor, working from about 7PM-5AM.
    Most days started with all 6-8 of us grouping up, special assignments being doled out, then grabbing our work partner and everyone heading out to 'do bathrooms.' Now, yes, this IS a decent sized factory: machine shop, shipping, welding, asembly, etc. Each location had it's own set of bathrooms (men/lady) and a break area. One person did the men's bathroom, the other person did the ladies' and the break area.
    Average time to clean these bathrooms to an acceptable level is about 30mins per bathroom, so about an hour to do the alloted two per group.

Well, one evening I showed up and was partnered with a new guy who was just hired. Boss says 'no time limit, just be sure to get back before break.' I'm thinking 'THANKS FOR THE VOTE OF CONFIDENCE THERE.'; but shrug it off. How bad could it be?

Experienced folk noticed where I screwed up already, huh?
    We head back to the first set of bathrooms, and take about 45 mins to clean it. Came out halfway decently, but hey, first time is always awkward. I finished up the break area and we went on back to the next set. An hour later (Machine-shop bathrooms are the /worst/), we're walking back to the main break area; and as we're walking past the first set of bathrooms, I notice something...odd.
    There seemed to be water in the aisle.
    Now, this place had a habit of leaking during rainstorms, but it was early june! We got closer and I realized that my night just went to hell. Flipped out my cell-phone and called the boss.

Boss: "Hey, how's it going out there?"
    Me: "Well it WAS going good."
    Boss: "Was?"
    Me: "Yeah. Weldshop men's bathroom is flooded about an inch deep into the aisle."
    Boss: ".....Ooooh snap. Lemme grab <coworker> and we'll be right there with the squeegies."
    Me: "Appericate that."

Well of course we shut the bathroom down and managed to turn off the overflowing toilet. But while we were still waiting for the shift supervisor to show up with the equipment, I started talking to a welder I knew, and he mentioned that while he didn't see it start, he'd check around with the other guys. He came up me shaking his head about the time we were finished re-mopping the place.

Weld: "You're not gonna beleive this..."
    Me: "Try me."
    Weld: "Apparently it got clogged and kept flushing about an hour ago."
    We all stare at each then back at Weld.
    Boss: "...You mean people kept going into the bathroom while the floor was flooding?!"
    Weld just nods his head. "<Idiot> mentioned he thought the floor looked alittle too shiny when he went in twenty mins ago."
    Me: "...I dunno if I should laugh or cry."
    Boss, in a huff: "Well, we'll get the last laugh, anyhow. I need to make some phone calls, but leave the bathroom closed."

That bathroom stayed closed for 'maitence issues' for a full seven-days. Never had a single complaint either.

Heh, that didn't go quite the way I'd expected for a bathroom horror story.

Good job on your first post, and welcome!
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Eww. I used to live on floor five out of eight in the student dorms. One weekend we were having plumbing issues and janitorial services posted signs asking residents to go next door. The toilets weren't flushing. How many students actually read (or cared to comprehend) the signs and went in anyway? I was pretty grossed out and had no problem rushing next door, fortunately it was only a few hours anyway. I still remember the cursing from staff as they had to deal with the unholy mess left behind. Toilets could flush again...yet couldn't flush because of how full they...err...you catch my drift. Just...eww.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
      X