This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion gone bad = SC's aplenty :(

No this isn't about some FREE offer that got out of hand...

...well ok it is, but not in the way you're probably thinking.

When I was at a games store the first time around Corporate decided that legally downloaded music was becoming the next big thing and figured that by offering free legal music downloads with certain purchases would be a great way to boost business (nevermind the fact we have never ever sold music in our stores...).

So they sent us 100s and 100s of cards (same size as credit card) that were each good for 10 downloads each. To get the downloads you had to go through the usual steps:

1) Go to a certain website
    2) Input your promo code
    3) Select and download your songs

Corporate gave us hardly any information about the cards aside from what was printed on them, except to say the songs downloaded could be imported to Ipods and other portable music players.

They also neglected to give us a real life or video demonstration as to how the download process was supposed to work. They deemed it unnecessary (right because customers will never ask us questions about this stuff ).

Customers were to receive one card for every used game purchased or game traded in. To further aggravate us, the cards had to be rung out ONE AT A TIME (our registers apparently allowed us to do a quantity sale, but half the time the function didn't work properly), which mean if you traded in 10 games, I also had to scan 10 cards with the purchase.

So that's the background, now on to the suck!

The downloaded songs could NOT be transferred to an IPOD! - contrary to what corporate told us, our customers informed us there was no way to transfer the downloaded songs to any portable music player, they could only be listened to on a computer. Some got very upset at us for misleading them.

Sales took longer to ring up: As I mentioned above the cards were typically run through one at a time, this meant a lot of transactions now took a fair bit longer than they had before. This led to a lot of frustrated and impatient customers.

Customers were flooding us wanting help with their cards : Like I said, we were given virtually NO information or instruction on how the downloading process actually worked. We were told we were more than welcome to take a card for ourselves and try it out at home (you know, OFF the clock on our own time) but obviously not many employees took it upon themselves to do this.

It got to the point where either customers were demanding our corporate number or we were offering it voluntarily because we were no help with the card. As it turns out many customers reported to us that corporate was even useless in providing help with the cards, since the CS phone reps hadn't been giving any training on them either.

My Manager sent several emails to the district manager, desperately looking for some kind of support or resource we could direct customers to, all he said was "he was doing what he could to address the matter" but nothing changed for weeks.

Customers flat out refused the cards or got pissy when we tried to give them away: Repeat customers who had fought with the cards before had no desire to get more. Folks who had no plans to use for them didn't want it. A lot of people just didn't care for the extra plastic in their bags and one memorable customer threw the cards back in my face when I gave them to him.

So we ended up with a wastebasket filled with unused cards.

To add even more suck, many of the customers who didn't want the cards neglected to inform of us this fact, preferring instead to litter out store floor and the area outside our front door with them, jam them between game cases or stuff them into our bargain bins. Every night I cleaned up after close I inevitably found tons of cards.

The rest of the store went to crap: Since all of us were having to expend so much energy dealing with the issues from these cards, it was very difficult to keep up with the rest of the store, thus we ended up with a not so great looking store, a messy back area and a dirtier floor than we should have had since we didn't get to vacuum it as much.

Did I mention this promotion went on for TWO WHOLE MONTHS??

And to top it all off, when it was all over, corporate did the stupidest thing of all.

- Despite all the customers who had complained and gotten frustrated with the cards.
    - Despite all the employees who had gotten so overwhelmed with the promotion and complained to their managers.
    - Despite all the managers who had bitched endlessly on conference calls about the problems the promotion was causing.

Despite all of the above, corporate sent an internal release declaring the promotion an "outstanding success" solely based on the number of cards that were given away and left open the door to running it again in the future.

I ended up leaving the company so I'm not sure if it ever got done again (God, I hope not) but that was the worst nightmare of a promotion I'd ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Further proof that Corporate people are living in their own Happy Little Business World, where unicorns dance and rainbows sing and every plan is a huge success no matter how badly thought out it is.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
      Despite all of the above, corporate sent an internal release declaring the promotion an "outstanding success" solely based on the number of cards that were given away and left open the door to running it again in the future.
      They probably decided it was an "outstanding success" about an hour after it even started.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Heh. That kind of corporate mentality came back around to bite my company in the rear.

See, we're relentlessly positive in our wording on everything that we send out (not necessarily a bad thing, especially given the company). This often leads to being less than honest about the success of certain ideas and promotions. So when our free membership model lead us almost into bankruptcy (we're doing much better now), our members didn't want to believe that we needed the money! See, all they ever heard was how successful each of our new partnership and initiatives had been, even when some of them had been financial disasters.

I want to throttle the suits that do that kind of crap.
        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I forgot to add one more thing. A fair percentage of the promo codes on the cards didn't even work. This particular problem was the fault of the website which provided the cards but it still made life sucky.

Also, the selections of songs was apparently awful too.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

If anyone in corporate thinks of a "good idea" prepare for the worst.

Comment

Also, the selections of songs was apparently awful too.
              Other than a card I grabbed at Ultra Music Festival with an iTunes code to download over 50 songs from related DJs, I've yet to encounter one of those free download cards with anything worth downloading.

Comment

Oh man, that sounds horrible.

At least my company is prepared for any questions and if we have any sort of promo, we'll have FAQ that is so detailed that I usually have to explain it to the customer, cause they are just overwhelmed.
                http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
                Melody Gardot

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  They probably decided it was an "outstanding success" about an hour BEFORE it even started.
                  fixed for true corp "logic"
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Racket Man, you beat me to it! LOL
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                      fixed for true corp "logic"
                      I believe that's an oxymoron...........

Comment

Well, maybe there was one way corporate could have made it worse.....

"As a promotion for doing X, we are offering a card for 10 song downloads for only $.25!" Or whatever small amount that people would still be willing to bite but would be ticked off when they found out the cards were crap.

Again I say that corporate brass need to spend time working in their own stores. Then this shit wouldn't happen with the regularity that it does.

Comment

...the district manager, desperately looking for some kind of support or resource we could direct customers to, all he said was "he was doing what he could to address the matter" but nothing changed for weeks.
                          The corporate office of (sounds like ears) where I use to work also messed up a promotion. Our District manager told our store's employees to quit giving customers his office phone number.

Sence our district manager would do nothing to solve HIS PROBLEM we continued to give customers his phone number.

Comment

I remember those, I still have them lying around somewhere. I never even bothered with em.
                            "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
                            James from Pokémon.

Comment

Er, if they do ever run the promotion again, I'd be happy to take any leftovers. I can convert just about any file format to any other format with various freeware I've been playing with. Even Apple and Rhapsody's formats. Makes my PSP's music player happy, and I do it all legal-like. You have any idea how much legal free music I've collected due to various promotions like that?
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                              X