Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the first time since working here, I have now actually been fearful for my life.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the first time since working here, I have now actually been fearful for my life.

[Just to warn you...language ahead]

So...wow. I don't even know where to begin with this one. Just a few hours ago, I had this HUGE guy stumble through the doors, completely drunk. Now, having drunk people stumble in to our hotel is quite common; we have a 24 hour bar/restaurant at the end of the parking lot. I can understand...it's Vegas, people come here to party, no big deal. As long as you don't bother me or anyone staying here, do whatever you like.

But this guy...he scared me. Dude must have been just over six feet tall, with huge muscles and a bald head, and a tattoo of a freakin' brick wall on his upper arms. In short, he could have probably kicked my ass without trying.
    He walks over to the desk, and the following conversation ensues...

Me: O_O
    PDG: Psychotic Drunk Guy

*stumbles over and puts one arm on desk*
    Me: "Good eveni-"
    PDG: "Lemme use your cell phone."
    Me: "..."
    PDG: "..."
    Me: "Ummm....you want to use my cellphone?"
    PDG: "Yeah, gimme your cell phone, I gotta cheat on my girlfriend."
    PDG: "Fuck I'm tired."
    Me: "Sorry man, I don't have my cell on me..."
    [I did, but no way in hell I was gonna do anything but dial 911 on him with it]
    PDG: "Gimme a room."
    Me: "Sure...let's see here...the rate is $99 for a King or $109 for a King Suite, sir."
    PDG: "That's too much. I need cheaper."
    Me: "Sorry sir, that's the rate."
    PDG: "Dude, just, fuckin', do something to make it cheaper."
    Me: "Well I can give you the Triple A rate, that'll lower it about ten dollars."
    PDG: "Sure, good, fine."

At this point, the guy is coming across as an asshole, but nothing scary. Yet.

Me: "Okay, I just need your ID and credit card, please."
    PDG: "I don't have a credit card." *loud sniff*
    Me: "We need a credit card on file in case of any damage to the room, sir."
    PDG: "I don't have a credit card. Just cash."
    Me: "Sorry sir, but I can't give you the room without one."
    PDG: "Fuckin...I need a room, dude. I'm fuckin' tired and shit."
    [I shift tactics and try to be more of a 'regular guy' to him now]
    Me: "...Sorry, man, I don't make the rules. I feel for you, I really do, but without a card I can't get you the room."
    PDG, starting to turn bright red: "So I can't stay here then."
    Me: "Without a card, I'm afraid not."
    [PDG stares at me like he's going to jump me any second]

Now I'm feeling like I'm gonna have to call the cops on this guy, but he'll pound my face before I can open the damn phone.

PDG: "I just need a fuckin' room, man. If I don't...If I don't get a room, I'm gonna, I'm gonna fuckin' kill someone, dude. I'm gonna fuckin' kill 'em. No joke. Fuckin' dead.

OH MY GOD, THIS GUY IS A FREAKIN' PSYCHOPATH.
    The look in this guy's eyes...I really think he would have injured someone if he didn't get a room. Most likely me. He was just about the craziest guy I've ever seen here. So I had two options: Either give the guy a room with only cash, or have him rearrange my bone structure. Which do you think I picked?

Me: "...Okay, I'll give you the room for just cash. But this is the only time I can do this, man. Alright?"
    PDG: "Awesome, yeah. That, that, that works, bro. That works. Fuckin' works."

So I start processing his room and make his key cards, hoping he doesn't roid rage and crush me at any moment.

Me: "Okaaay...that'll be $94.81, please."
    PDG: "Here."
    *hands me cash*
    [I count the cash]
    Me: "uhh...this is only sixty dollars, man. I need another thirty five"
    PDG, matter-of-fact-ly: "That's all I got."
    PDG: "..."
    Me: "That's all you have."
    PDG: "Yeah."
    Me: "...Okay, umm....I need the rest of it for the room."
    PDG: "Dude, fuckin' just gimme the room, I need to crash."
    Me: "I'm willing to take just cash, but I need the rest of it."
    [PDG slams fist down on counter. I imagine my head being there. Eek.]
    PDG: "Just need the room, dude." *loud snort and hacking cough*

I'm literally afraid for my life here. So I drop his price down to the rate the bar employees get, which is a flat $49. This guy would have literally beat me to death if I didn't get him a room.

Me: "Alright...I'll get you the room at the [bar] rate. I can't do this again, though. Alright?"
    PDG, suddenly overjoyed: "Dude, you fuckin', fuckin' ROCK, bro. Come here, man."
    [Before I can react, PDG gives me a hug that threatens to crush my spine]
    Me: "Yeah, no problem, man...have a good night..."

And he walks off to head up to his room.

WOW. I've met a lot of weirdos in my time, but he's the first to make me feel like he would literally harm me if he didn't get a room.
    This is the only part of my job I don't like...dealing with guys like that. I'm not a big guy by any means. I can defend myself (Army training does that), but somehow I doubt it would have helped against this raging bull of a man.

Ugh. I need a vacation....

You need to call the cops and have the drunk, threatening, scary man thrown in jail. You can hand the cops his $49 on his way out the door in cuffs.

SirWired

Comment

Well he's already gone, actually...he was only in the room for four hours. He left out the back door about an hour ago. Thought he needed it for a full 8 hours at least...weird. Must have got a ride home or something.

I went up to his room to make sure he didn't kill someone or trash the place. Looks fine, thankfully. But still, I don't want to see him at this hotel ever again.

Psycho. Ugh.

Comment

You got a name and address, right? Tell the GM about this asshole and see about getting him banned.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Yeah, we've got his name and address, and management will definitely know about it. I hope they'll understand why I didn't get a credit card...

Comment

So is this your first tweeker? We get them all the time here.

I know you were scared, but you reinforced criminal-level suckiness big-time.

Next time, if something is going down and you're fearful, discreetly set the phone receiver on the desk and dial 911. Repeat loudly, Sir you have to leave. One "Fuckin' gimme a...." out of SC's mouth and dispatch will send help.

The cops know precisely how to deal with tweekers.
            Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
              You need to call the cops and have the drunk, threatening, scary man thrown in jail. You can hand the cops his $49 on his way out the door in cuffs.

SirWired
              I agree. After he was gone to the room, I woulda called the coppers.

Comment

I think some slack can be cut for someone feeling their life was at risk for the first time not thinking it out fully.
                "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
                James from Pokémon.

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking beyond "I have to get this guy out of my face before he kills me"

Comment

I sure hope you have a back room you can run into and lock. Vegas, it must get interesting having a hotel there.
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I would have tried some combination of the phone on 911 on the counter and trying to work with the dude.

No way is your health worth refusing to let the guy have a hotel room for the night.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Automan Empire View Post
                        So is this your first tweeker? We get them all the time here.

The cops know precisely how to deal with tweekers.

So anyone care to enlighten me as to what a Tweeker is? I've never worked in hospitality so have no idea?

Comment

Quoth GreedySmurf View Post
                          So anyone care to enlighten me as to what a Tweeker is? I've never worked in hospitality so have no idea?
                          Try www.google.com or www.wikipedia.com

You can usually find pop culture references either place.
                          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

This is why the panic button is my friend

I've so far had to use it twice... and I'm pretty sure I posted both stories.

First time the guy said "just give me a fucking room" would be when I discreetly push the panic button.
                            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                              This is why the panic button is my friend

I've so far had to use it twice... and I'm pretty sure I posted both stories.

First time the guy said "just give me a fucking room" would be when I discreetly push the panic button.
                              I wish I had a panic button!

Comment

Working...
                              X