This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can Brown do for you?

Brown = UPS shipping, for those not in the US. That was one of their more recent advertising slogans. We are an authorized UPS shipping center, but we are NOT UPS. That means we can accept packages for shipment and you can pay for the shipping with us, but beyond that we don't have anything to do with it. Once a package leaves the building, it's totally out of our hands, and if there's a problem at that point, you NEED to take it up with UPS directly, because there's NOTHING we can do about it.

I've had two SCs in UPS this week.

It's a Holiday, Jackass!

Tuesday, a guy calls in. Now when a call comes in at this particular store (which has an older phone system) it rings ALL of the phones in the store. Normally the cashiers answer them. I happened to be in the back room, and so ordinarily wouldn't have picked up the call, but when no one picked it up after 3 rings, I did.

Me: Thank you for calling Staples this is Dave1982, how can I help you?

SC: I have a problem with a package I shipped UPS through you guys.

Me: OK, what's the problem?

SC: I shipped it yesterday, and when I checked a few minutes ago, it still wasn't showing up in package tracking. I need to know where my package is!

Me: Well, I know for a fact that all the packages WERE picked up by UPS, so if there's an issue with tracking, unfortunately you need to call UPS directly.

SC: Can I speak to the manager?

Me: OK, fine.

I paged Captain Jellico to pick up the call.

Then, right after doing that, I realized what the problem was. The day before was Memorial Day. UPS doesn't do deliveries OR pickups on holidays. They had in fact only picked up his package about 15 minutes before he called, so the tracking number hadn't uploaded into their system yet.

Based on how frustrated Captain Jellico looked after that call, it seems this info didn't take with this guy. I guess his package was so important that UPS should have made an exception for him.

I Don't Set the Rates, Jackass!

It seems that one of the night Copy Center guys (who normally handle UPS customers) either isn't comfortable with or otherwise doesn't like doing UPS, because since he figured out that I know how to do Ship Center, he pages me to do it for him.

He paged me up to finish with a customer. He'd already gotten the sending and receiving addresses entered, and just needed to rate the package. Gee.....you're 2/3 of the way there already, why not just finish?

The guy was shipping documents. I should say that UPS's rates for document shipping are both outrageous and all over the map. They make NO sense to me. I should also point out that i have NO control over the rates, at least in a downward sense. I can make the rates go UP (by adding additional services and packaging fees) but the base rate is based on package type, size, weight, and the destination. That I can NOT control.

SC: I'd like the cheapest rate available.

Me: OK.......*clicks "rate package"*..........ah....the cheapest rate is $15.10.

SC: That's the CHEAPEST?!?!

Me: Well, let me see here.....*goes back and sees if the CPC Guy had put in any additional services; he hadn't*.....unfortunately yes, sir.

SC: Well I'm not paying that! I've shipped from your Londonderry branch for $6 or $7!!!

So........what? Your package may have weighed less, or been shipped a shorter distance. Plus, your point of origin was different so that too will affect the rate. What a different package cost to ship from a different place has NOTHING to do with this one.

Me: I'm sorry sir, but that's the cheapest rate I can give you.

SC: Well then I'm not doing it! That's WAY too much. I'm not paying you $15 to ship this. That's ridiculous!!

He pulled his papers back out of the envelope (which was one he took from the store shelf. Thankfully it hadn't been sealed yet or he'd have had to pay for that. Glad I didn't have to face THAT explosion) and stormed out.

Seriously dude. You want a cheaper rate? Go to the post office. You want guaranteed delivery by a certain date? Then you pay for that. You don't like it?

Then GET BENT!!!

Have a nice day, sir.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 05-29-2009, 09:52 PM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Wow, 15$ for documents is pretty high. But still, not like you could do anything about that.
    http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
    Melody Gardot

Comment

I hate when SC's bitch and moan over stuff that I and/or my department have no control over. Fifteen dollars is a bit high, but it beats Fed Ex and they charge WAY more than that.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Seconded. There is a lawyer's office in the office next door to where I work...I consider it a banner week if they show up more than once per week...and yet, they have people overnighting them documents ALL THE TIME The FedEx lady even commented recently when she gave us a package to hold for the lawyers..."Someone paid over 70 bucks to send them this (small pack of papers), and they aren't even here!"
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm fuzzy on the details, but the wierd rate for documents in the US has something to do with the protection the post office is given for first-class mail. The USPS is the only organization allowed to handle first-class mail by law, so the shipping companies have to do some odd things when shipping documents or the like, if I remember correctly.

Anyone working in that area care to illuminate us better?
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Anyone can check the UPS rates for sending a "letter" as opposed to a package. It's quick, it's easy, and it's educational!

Anyway, UPS only does letter shipments for overnight. That's you're only choice. So, yeah, the cheapest rate you're going to get, even if you're only sending it across town, is going to be $15.10.

FedEx also has a handy-dandy online rate calculator, and can also ship documents. However, FedEx has 1, 2, and 3 day service available for those, and their cheapest rate for that same across-town delivery would be $9.65 for 3 say service, $12.25 for 2 day, and $15.10 (wow, what a surprise! [/sarcasm]) for overnight.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Eeesh. And this is why I hate ordering things from overseas... it's usually not only having to be shipped overseas, but it's often shipped with super-expensive delivery services, which is great for delicate china plates, less so for cheap books in thick cardboard packaging. I'm wondering if all the electronic components I got shipped dirt cheap with citylink were because they're cheap or because the store was covering some of the cost now...

(Also, I'm from the UK, so when I read the title all I could think was "... retire?")

Comment

Why do people think going from one shop to another in the same town is going to change the difference in postal prices? I have the same problem. Bonus is we are the only post store open on a Sunday, they can't go anywhere else.

Gah, international post rates are going up for NZers in July, not looking forward to that one...
                Began work Aug as casual '08
                Ex-coworkers from current place of work: 26ish
                Current co-workers at current place of work: 15ish - yes he just hired 3 more casuals
                Why do I still work there again?

Comment

Working...
                X