This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCs are dumber than ice

My hotel has a device which appears to be an ice machine, and does, in fact, function thusly. However, it is, in reality, a fiendishly unsophisticated intelligence test; One that does not so much quantify a user's I.Q. as it does determine whether or not any intellect is present. Sadly, most would-be recipients of it's frigid polyhedron rewards find themselves instead defeated and empty handed.

Instructions for its use are simple, visible, and available in the form of written words, braille, and simple PICTOGRAMS, yet the majority of patrons cannot correctly operate it without additional guidance from an experienced veteran.

Here's how it works:
    1. Place ice bucket in the holder below the dispensor.
    2. Insert your room key card into slot labeled as such.
    3. Bucket fills with ice.
    4. Take ice-filled bucket and keycard, and go away.

What you do with it at that point is your own business and no one has the right to judge you for it.

Here's how people fail:

1. Not bringing the ice bucket. At least 3 out of 4 people don't consider how they might transport said ice back to thier rooms. Most will go get the ice bucket provided with every room, and make a second attempt at this transaction. Many of the rest will find/steal/ask me for a plastic bag to use. At least once a week, I see someone heading back with just a big double-handful of ice, and I wonder how they intend to use the doorknob when they reach the room. And EVERY morning there's a pile of ice on the floor in front of the machine.

2. Either not bringing thier room key, or not understanding its use. Most will either abort and reattempt at a later time with card in tow, or will seek out professional instruction. But, every so often, some jackass will exert a great deal of force to wedge a coin into the card slot so tightly we have to take the whole damned machine apart to get it out.

Last night I discovered by horrific accident a new level of fail, now available in E.W. flavor:

As I'm walking a periodic patrol of the hallways, a guest, who appears to be sober, opens her door. She asks me where the ice machine is, and I give her directions. I also mention to her that she'll need to bring her ice bucket and room key.
    Her response: "Oh, no, *I* don't need to."
    Erm, ok. Momentarily baffled, I shrug and continue on my way back to the front desk. Sure enough, a few moments later she appears, empty handed, asking for an extra copy of her room key as she has now locked herself out.
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Not to top you, but now that you mention it, at my hotel, there's an IQ tester in every room. However, we don't have ours installed in the ice machine. We have them installed in the shower.

There's a diagram above the light switch in the bathroom that shows where you have to pull down in order to convert from bath to shower. Despite all this, I still get calls about it and I have to act as tech support because damned if I go into the room and show how it's done if the guest is undressed. I could be persuaded if she's good-looking enough.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

You know I've never seen an ice machine that required a room card before. 'course, I've also never seen one that was coin-operated before either. And who doesn't think they need a bucket? Maybe she thought she had special ice-levitating powers or something?
      All Hail Blortash, King of the Time Traveling Space Bears, who comes to us from Future Year 3032, known to us Earth Mortals as Regular 3032.

Comment

Quoth sanchopanza65
        You know I've never seen an ice machine that required a room card before.
        Me either, though I would think it's common sense to keep the key card with you when you leave the room...

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
          Me either, though I would think it's common sense to keep the key card with you when you leave the room...
          If you take the initials from Common Sense and reverse them you get the opposite, Sucky Customer.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
          X