This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Thru Commandments

After much frustration with literally hundreds of annoyances at our drive thru, I turned my anger into a divine list of Commandments that all customers in any drive thru should adhere to. And yes, I plan on printing these and posting it in my store's office for my coworkers to enjoy.

The Commandments of the Drive-Thru

Thou shalt not approach the speaker with any excessive noise.

Thou shalt not inquire for an immediate response upon approach.

Thou shalt speak in an even-volume voice.

Thou shalt not present excessive inquiries.

Thou shalt not present outlandish inquiries regarding products.

Thou shalt know thy order prior to approach.

Thou shalt not permit passengers to speak.

Thou shalt not dispute the total charge.

Thou shalt not pay in loose change.

Thou shalt not change thy order at the window.

Thou shalt not speak on thy cell phone at any time.

Thou shalt not smoke whilst at the window.

Thou shalt be courteous and offer thanks.

Here's your sign...

Can I get another AMEN?
    "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

Having had to deal with all of that, I agree completely. I would also like to add something to this particular commandment:

Thou shalt not permit passengers to speak, particularly those in the back seat and little kids.

There's a reason the speaker is set up so that the driver of the vehicle is the one placing the order. People sitting in the passenger side and back seat can't be heard as easily, which means they have to yell to be heard and thus destroy our poor eardrums, hence why the driver should be the one doing it.

And having young kids order from the back seat. I like kids, but they're not the ones doing the driving or the ones paying for the food. Is there any reason why the parents behind the wheel have to have the kids do the ordering, especially when they're placing the entire order and not just their stuff? If the kids are the only ones who fluently speak the same language as the drive-thru worker that's one thing, but if the driver speaks the same language as the order taker? There's no reason for that.

Comment

I never have problems and drive thrus, since I always know what I want, and it's always SIMPLE. The biggest request I've ever had is "No ice, please". And once at Starbucks, asking for one of those little stiry things. Got that at the window, so there wouldn't be any confusion.

Oh, and have your money out when you get to the window! Makes things SO much easier if you don't have to dig through your pockets or purse for the cash.
        "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth EmilyRose1982 View Post

Thou shalt not pay in loose change.
          I admit it, I sometimes do this. But I *always* count the change out before I get to the window, and count it out to the person manning the window, AND apologize for doing so. I've even had one drive-thru person thank me for counting it out first. So hopefully that's not too sucky....
          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Thou shalt not smoke whilst at the window.

Ummm, really??! Ewww .... Do people ever blow smoke through the drive-thru window?

And, I'll have to admit ... my hubby and I have paid in all change before ...
            This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

I usually at least try to have an idea what I want before I pull up to the speaker -- if there's nobody behind me, I'll even stop short so the mic/speaker doesn't register a car there until I'm ready...that being said, I was driving with my roomie the other day, and it took almost 2 minutes AFTER I finished giving my order for him to decide on a frosty and doublestacks >_<
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yes, people smoke at our drive thru window. Sometimes I can smell their smoke when I'm standing six feet away making drinks at the bar. Sigh.

Once a SC blew smoke toward my CW, who promptly told the SC: "Please don't blow your smoke at me!" The funny part? That CW was a smoker!

As for having kids in the back seat speak, yeah that falls under the "no passengers" clause. The other day I was taking an order from the driver, and his damn brat started yelling nonsensical shit, as if to screw with me. And the most annoying part was the dad just lightly shushed the kid, who then continued his yelling.
                Seriously, control your damn kid!!
                Here's your sign...

Comment

Ummm, really??! Ewww .... Do people ever blow smoke through the drive-thru window?
                  Constantly.

Comment

Thou shalt not permit passengers to speak.
                    Where was this advice... uh... ten or so years ago, when my brother got me in trouble with the cop hanging out inside the Dairy Queen when he leaned over me (I was driving) to harass the girl working drive through?
                    He was constantly asking for a 'free smile' (referencing River City Ransom)... as I pulled up and waited in line, I'm covering my face in embarassment, and suddenly, I hear a knock on my window. I look over, and there is a cop standing there, so I roll my window down.
                    "You're not funny."
                    (Side note: I agree, at that point in my life, I was extremely dour, and hardly sociable)
                    I immediately point at my brother. "He did the ordering."
                    So, I get to watch my brother get yelled at across my seat, giving me the brunt of the tongue lashing, so my brother was mostly shielded from the wrath, and he started laughing with his friends after she left.
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth McGoddess09 View Post
                      Can I get another AMEN?
                      AMEN! Preach!
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Me and several of my friends are night owls, and we often make a late night snack run. For various reasons (disability, immigrant, fweird speech patterns, whatever) I'm the guy who usually has to order at the drive-through, or we will be there what seems like all night. But I don't own a car. So what we usually do is have me in the back seat on the driver's side, so I can talk to the intercom on everyone's behalf.

It works fairly well, though we've occasionally run into fast food places where the employees refuse to hand the food to anyone but the driver...

Comment

You forgot one:

Thou shall KNOW where you are and not order from a menu other than the one in front of you.

Having worked at McHell and heard people ordering off the menus of _every_ other Fast Food restaraunt. Not to mention having to convince them that "We aren't Company X, we're McHell. We don't have that product." for the umpteenth time before calling a manager to deal with them.
                          I LOVE this site! It makes me feel "normal".

Comment

Working...
                          X