This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those darn Christmas carols

This happened in December, but I saw the carol hater in question recently and had to share this.

It was two minutes past closing and my coworker was ushering out the last customers. I didn't think anyone else was around and started singing along with the radio. I don't remember it being a Christmas song, just a winter song. I'm singing my heart out when this lady magically pops out of nowhere with fabric to be cut. It was just quilters cotton, not heavy fabric or home dec so I decided to cut it. The fabric was a part of our Christmas collection: Santa clauses and reindeer patterns. She was wearing a red and green sweater. I obviously figured she celebrated Christmas. Here's the exchange that took place as she was checking out.

Me: Here you are, and have a merry Christmas.
    SC: That's it! How dare you, HOW DARE YOU!
    Me: (WTF?) I'm sorry?
    SC: I heard you singing those carols. Do you know how offensive that is. How dare you play that music in a public place? How do you even know I celebrate Christmas?
    Me: Well, you're wearing a Christmas sweater and buying Christmas fabric. I just assumed...
    SC: Yeah, you assumed. Do you know there are some people who aren't lucky enough to celebrate Christmas? The Jews don't get to and you're probably making them feel bad about it. I pray for those poor people everyday.
    Me: (...) I'm Jewish

That lady hightailed it out of there so fast she forgot her bags.

Thank you, this made me laugh out loud! I just love the attempts at PC-ness. Really, we who do not celebrate Christmas do not sit around crying all day on the 25th. Most of us still get the day off...

Comment

One of my coworkers during the Christmas season had a customer whom he had told, "Have a Merry Christmas", to which the lady responded in a cold and very rude way, "I'm Jewish, you idiot." Then he said "Forgive me, Maam. I'm still working on my mind-reading talents so I can quit this crappy job and not have to deal with bitches like you. That being the case that you're Jewish, I hope you don't have a Merry Chirstmas. Goodbye."

Comment

Heeeeeee good pwnage.

Comment

That was fabulous
          I still can't wrap my head around being offended when you obviously celebrate the holiday...

Comment

Whatever happened to simply accepting a nice gesture, accept it as it was intended, and realize that there are well-meaning and nice people still in this world. Versus going out of your way to take offense and be a bitch about it. I'm guessing this is also someone who wonders where all the "good customer service from days of old" went.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              Whatever happened to simply accepting a nice gesture, accept it as it was intended, and realize that there are well-meaning and nice people still in this world.
              It was blown up in favor of political correctness and, well, going out of your way to be a bitch about things.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Eh, I'd rather stick with a generic greeting all year long. Just because there are so many different things that people do or don't believe, I can't be bothered to try to sort it all out. That said, I don't get bent out of shape when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas (I don't celebrate it), I accept the gesture as it was meant, with good intentions, but I find it easier just to avoid it entirely. Has nothing to do with being PC, a lot of it has to do with my complete saturation with all things holiday (working in retail as I do), and the desire to get through the season as quickly as possible.

Comment

Christmas is December 25th, some people choose to perform certain celebrations on that day and others do not. If you get wished Merry Christmas someone is merely wishing you a happy December 25th and hoping you are happy that day, if someone were to wish me a happy hanukkah then they are wishing me to have a wonderful 8 days (I understand the days change each year, well for those that follow the calendar I do.)

Therefore it is not offensive or discriminatory to wish someone a merry christmas but if you insist then may only the christians have a merry christmas (now that would be discriminatory to only want one group to be happy and not others.)
                  Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                  Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth pile of monkeys View Post
                    Eh, I'd rather stick with a generic greeting all year long. Just because there are so many different things that people do or don't believe, I can't be bothered to try to sort it all out. That said, I don't get bent out of shape when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas (I don't celebrate it), I accept the gesture as it was meant, with good intentions, but I find it easier just to avoid it entirely. Has nothing to do with being PC, a lot of it has to do with my complete saturation with all things holiday (working in retail as I do), and the desire to get through the season as quickly as possible.
                    I do that too. I just tell people to have a nice day, the same way I do through the rest of the year. Nobody's objected to that yet!
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth flutes_and_fabric View Post
                      SC: Yeah, you assumed. Do you know there are some people who aren't lucky enough to celebrate Christmas? The Jews don't get to and you're probably making them feel bad about it. I pray for those poor people everyday.
                      What luck? We have our own holidays and traditions. I've never felt bad about not celebrating christmas and I'm still weirded out that in the last few years consumerism has slipped into chanukah. When I was a kid each of my grandparents gave me the equivelent $5 u.s. and my great grandfather gave me double that and I considered myself lucky to have some shopping money.
                      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                        Christmas is December 25th, some people choose to perform certain celebrations on that day and others do not. If you get wished Merry Christmas someone is merely wishing you a happy December 25th and hoping you are happy that day, if someone were to wish me a happy hanukkah then they are wishing me to have a wonderful 8 days (I understand the days change each year, well for those that follow the calendar I do.)

Therefore it is not offensive or discriminatory to wish someone a merry christmas but if you insist then may only the christians have a merry christmas (now that would be discriminatory to only want one group to be happy and not others.)

See, I think that if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, they're aren't hoping I have a generically happy December 25th, but that I have an enjoyable celebration of the Christmas holiday. Again, if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I appreciate the kindness of the sentiment, but as I don't celebrate the holiday, it's a little annoying. I am never rude or bitchy or anything of the sort when I'm wished a happy or merry anything- I almost always reply, "Thank you, you too!" I understand that the sentiment is coming from a sincere place. And a lot of people sincerely don't understand that not everyone celebrates Christmas.

So I instead to choose to keep it as generic as possible. If I wish someone a Happy Chanukah, or a Happy New Year, or a Happy Halloween, I'm not generically hoping they have a good day or series of days, but I am referring to a holiday by name and hoping that they enjoy said holiday. However, given that non-Christians are the minority in the US, I fully expect and accept that I will be wished a Merry Christmas by many many people who won't give a second thought as to whether or not I celebrate it, so I will accept their good wishes and get on with my life.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                          Versus going out of your way to take offense and be a bitch about it.
                          There's a word for behavior like this, choosing to proactively get offended at every possible thing...and I do believe I stole this from Bloom County...

"Offensensitivity"
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            I do that too. I just tell people to have a nice day, the same way I do through the rest of the year. Nobody's objected to that yet!
                            You haven't had one of those yet? Lucky!
                            EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS CANCER AND MADNESS. (Gravekeeper)
                            ~-~
                            Also, I have been told that I am sarcastic. I don’t know where anyone would get such an impression.(Gravekeeper again)

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                              What luck? We have our own holidays and traditions. I've never felt bad about not celebrating christmas and I'm still weirded out that in the last few years consumerism has slipped into chanukah. When I was a kid each of my grandparents gave me the equivelent $5 u.s. and my great grandfather gave me double that and I considered myself lucky to have some shopping money.
                              I use my Chanukah money to go Christmas shopping

Comment

Working...
                              X