X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you expect me to DO?

SC: "What do you expect me to do?"

I hate that question.

Oh, sometimes I feel for the person. Those who lost a job after taking on extra debt... we can work with them. Set up deferred payments. Work out a longer loan, or even a cheaper loan. But these options are only available for someone who has had a significant change in circumstances (like a job loss or a medical problem) since they got the loan.

People who make over $100,000 a year and still manage to rack up $50,000 worth of credit card debt, and now complain because no one will give them more credit to dig themselves even deeper... I'm sorry, I just have no sympathy.

People who are devastated because we won't approve a $30,000 auto loan for them because we're not sure they can afford it, I have no sympathy. Cheaper cars exist people.

People who bought their house at an adjustable rate that they KNEW they couldn't afford, but "oh, I can refinance in a couple of years when the house values go up"... okay, I have a little sympathy, but gods, how can you depend on such a thing?

My biggest problem with them is when they look at me and ask--or rather DEMAND-- "What am I supposed to do?" as if I'm supposed to pull out some magic wand and solve their financial woes.

Let me clue you into a little secret: If you are already in over your head, more debt WILL NOT HELP.

Why don't you try consolidating that debt into a lower interest rate? Oh, you did that? And then you wracked up your credit cards again instead of learning one small iota from the lesson?

Another little secret. When you take out a loan, eventually your creditors will want paid. And there is only so long you can take out new, larger loans to pay on the old ones. Eventually, you reach your maximum. At which point, you not only have to live within your means, but you have to figure out a way to live UNDER your means so that you can pay back that debt.

What do I expect you to do?

Pay your debts? Make a budget? Stop spending so much on things you don't need? Cut up the credit cards and make a payment plan to get out of that cycle of debt? Maybe even buy downward into a house you can actually afford?

No, I don't actually expect you'll do that. You'll probably just start playing the lottery. Because, you know, you DESERVE to win.

Quoth bankworking View Post
    Learn that with freedom comes responsibility.

You are free to do what you like, so long as you accept responsibility for the consequences.

You are free to spend the money you borrowed as you wish, but you are responsible for paying it back.

Comment

Must ...resist...urge...to fratch....about govt bailouts....
      Must ...submit...to urge...to...Shatnerize!
      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

You are free to do what you like, so long as you accept responsibility for the consequences.
        Some days, I just want to get this tattooed in neon letters across my head. Except then I remember, SCs don't read.
        "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Just take a line from a James Bond movie. "No, Mr. SC. I expect you to die."

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
            Must ...resist...urge...to fratch....about govt bailouts....
            Must ...submit...to urge...to...Shatnerize!
            My institution is a small one that kept well enough in our reserves to handle the dip in the market and in house values, and even the bad economy. We also are conservative about our lending, so we never got into the high risk deals the major banks were doing. I'm very proud to know that I work for a company that hasn't touched one dime of taxpayer money for 'bailouts'.

Comment

the only loans i EVER took out were to pay for college...they were SUPPOSED TO send me some forms to arrange a payment plan, but I never recieved them....oh well...we'll arrange something some day....

Comment

Quoth WhiteRose View Post
                the only loans i EVER took out were to pay for college...they were SUPPOSED TO send me some forms to arrange a payment plan, but I never recieved them....oh well...we'll arrange something some day....
                You might wanna contact the school about those, and find out who the lenders are...They won't care if you never received the paper work, they still want their munnys anyway >_>

I am still dealing with school loans from yeeeearrs ago...I had 2 small CCards (under 3 grand), both now fully paid off -- I haven't actually used a true "credit card" this century. The thing is, the school loans have their own issues. - There was a period of a few years after graduation (extending farther than the grace period) where I could not afford even the minimum payment. That's bad. My credit score plummeted as a result. - One of the loans is at lowish interest (under 4% I think), and is consolidated by the Fed Govt. - The other is neither low interest nor consolidated, it's a "private loan", tho, when it was offered to me, they told me it was a government loan... between them I owe like 65k US$ >_< And, no company I've spoken with will even touch school loans; they can't hang up fast enough when I mention that that's why I'm calling.

I wish I could have gotten grants in school, but I was refused over and over again, even tho I qualified on a financial basis (I was told in no uncertain terms that my grant requests were denied on on the basis of race (I am of the caucasian persuasion)).

Best part is: My income has been cut in half in the past 2 months thanks to my boss' paycheck and contract shenanigans. Just when I had reached the point where EVERYTHING except school was totally paid off -- and I had been making all of my payments for 2 years.

Le argh.

Oh well, things can only go up from here >_>
                Last edited by EricKei; 06-13-2009, 08:50 PM. Reason: run on and on and on and on and on...
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I want to chain these people to a chair, and make them watch this vid until their ears start to bleed and they GET IT:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1389/satur...dont-buy-stuff
                  "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Preaching to the converted here, Bankworking.

I went for a mortgage. They were shocked to hear that I had a sizeable deposit ready and waiting. They were astounded by this. Most people were going in and asking for mortgages that were up to 120% of the value of the property in order to be able to afford the deposit. They could get that service elsewhere, you see.

Of course, when the economy bucked and the interest rates went up a percent or two, these people were the first ones to scream blue murder about how impoverished they were.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
                      Blame your financial woes on the individual who caused them.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I feel that. I'm a banker aswell, and hear this all the time.

People seem to feel that more debt seems to be the answer for getting out of debt. Sometimes, yes, consolidating can help manage paying off several debts, usually saving quite a few dollars per month. But for some people, it's just too much debt, they're in too far over their heads, and they cannot be approved for the amount they need to start clearing up their finances. And somehow, in someway, its the banks fault, or worse, my fault, that they're in debt so bad and can't get approved for the loan. Personally, I've had my share of debt and understand that at times it can be very overwhelming. I made a budget, stuck with it, and am almost free and clear of any debt Took a good long while tho.

Anyways, I understand your frustration completely. I thought working retail was a nightmare, but being the middleman between people and their money :s I suddenly have the urge for a stiff drink......
                        Sorry, my love cannot be bought. And if it could, you obviously don't have enough in your account to do so.

~Do not pass go, Do not collect $200. You lose, my friend, you lose~

Comment

Working...
                        X