This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ripping up library books

*just for some background info, we have a bathroom in the children's room, it was left over from before the remodeling, when that part of the building had been the staff lounge*

Anyhow, I was doing pick-up in the children's room, I'd noticed a woman head into the bathroom, and came out fussing with her daughter (who looked about 2 oe 3) in tow......couldn't understand what she was saying because the language she spoke wasn't one which I'm familiar with. The girl was carrying what looked like coloring pages, she dropped a few, and the woman hurriedly picked them up....I didn't think much of it at the time.

However, when I started clearing books off the table where this woman and her child had been, I discovered that the "coloring pages" were actually a bunch of pages which the girl had ripped out of a book. And apparently the mother decided the best way to handle it was to shove the pages back inside the book, as if staff wasn't going to notice the damge. (I also suspect that whatever the girl had been doing in the bathroom had clogged up the toilet, because it wasn't long after that when our children's librarian had to put an "out of order" sign on the dor)

maybe little girl was flushing the book pages down the toilet...?
    To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
    my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

That's what I'm suspecting, but unfortunately I had no way to prove it, and of course the mother never said anything to staff members......apparently it was another customer who'd noticed the toilet being clogged.

Comment

Good grief, if I had done that, my mother would've docked my pocket money for whoever long it would take to pay back for the damaged books, grounded me and possibly made me give up my weekends to volunteer at the library.
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
          Good grief, if I had done that, my mother would've docked my pocket money for whoever long it would take to pay back for the damaged books, grounded me and possibly made me give up my weekends to volunteer at the library.
          OP said the kid was 2 or 3. Not much help as a volunteer, I suspect. My Mom probably would have had me apologize to the children's librarian, and offered to pay for a replacement. Not try to hide the damage and then just blithely walk off!

Comment

I wouldn't be here to talk about it if I did that.
            Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Ok, the kid is 2 or 3, and the mother isn't paying enough attention to said kid that they can rip out and color on several pages of a book? That woman's lucky the kid was still there!

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
                I wouldn't be here to talk about it if I did that.
                Same here. My mom would have paid for a replacement AND held a funeral for me.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Oh my goodness! Why the hell wouldn't she say something? I mean, even if she didn't place blame on herself. At least be like "Someone seems to have broken the bathroom."

I don't know. God if any of the small ones ripped up a book I would send them packing. (I have many of the tiny younger cousins)

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                  Same here. My mom would have paid for a replacement AND held a funeral for me.
                  My father wouldn't have killed me, but he probably would have taken away all my reading materials until i could prove I was responsible enough not to wreck them.

I started reading at two and a half, devouring anything I could get my little little hands on.
                  Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                  Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Working...
                  X