This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do they all come to me?!

So over the past week or so, I've been having a few unusual events. Besides the death of a coworker (), we're also launching a new promotion. The suck with THAT has been mild (and we got free food! ).

Anyhoo, onto the stories! Because I can't QUITE remember the convos word-for-word, they'll be similar to purplecat's style.

Lady, it's called a trolley!

So our store policy for items that have been paid for but left behind is simple...we record it and then if it's perishable (i.e. produce, frozen, refridgerated, eggs or meat/deli/seafood) it gets returned to the department immediately, if it's not, it gets held for a while, then returned to the shelf. We do not hold items overnight. (Namely a space issue, but also a food safety issue...would you want to eat chocolate that's been sitting by a computer CPU unit/trash can overnight? (the only large enough spaces for ANYTHING to get stored...our parcel pick up area cannot hold individual bags and there's no shelf space.)

So, needless to say, there's been quite a bit of suck recently with people leaving stuff by accident, then coming back the NEXT DAY to get their stuff. If they have the receipt, they can retrieve the goods themselves for free to replace the ones left behind (since they already paid for them). Unfortunately, they seem to expect management to pull their goods from their ass and hand it to them.

This particular lady however, came in, grabbed some Milo (for the unfamiliar, a very delicious malt flavoured drink), asked me where some of her other items were...then left her Milo on a nearby empty register and expected me to watch her Milo while she went and got some other goods!

The customer I was serving actually got rather annoyed with the customer for me, but acknowledged that I had to show some restraint...

Check your balance before you buy...

I had this a few times over the weekend. Basically, customer buys certain amount of goods, pays with a debit card, card comes up with insufficient funds. They either a) run it again, or b) tell me they had more than the amount they're paying for. Those times I just directed them to an ATM and held their shopping until they came back...no smugness on their part thankfully.

Today's WTF moment for me goes to...

A customer who just dropped her two items and headed out of the store...no indication that she was angry, or annoyed, or anything like that. I thought she was going to get a bag, but after a customer pointed out her current location, I just held it for a while...then dumped it at the end of my shift.

Letting kids off...

I was seriously seething after this one. Lady comes through with her four kids. I scan their items, the kids pipe up with "but the sign said they were <other price>". This was not cute either. This was actual griping, full-on mini-SC Get a price check, price in the system was correct...the kids still gripe, then ask me "Can you let us off?"

After checking with my manager, he let them off, albeit with a warning. (the kids still paid, but only what they had on them.)

Their mother was not much better. I wound up giving her some chicken at the discounted price (just purely to get rid of her) which it hadn't been marked at. But her tone for the rest of the sale was just purely condescending. If she'd said to her kids "now study hard or you'll wind up like fireheart" then I would've really gone off. I had not had the best of days that day.
    Last edited by fireheart; 06-22-2009, 09:42 AM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Greeeaaaattt. Now this SC and her offspring will know that if they bitch, they get discounts. Way to teach them, Mr. Manager. I know it's easier to get rid of them and get that angry/seething/a-hole out of your face. But damn if that doesn't make me want to hit something.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

baindshe, my manager was nearby and he knew full well that I had not been in the best mental state that day (loooong story) so it was a partial manager suck. What I did agree on though with him, was that if she ever comes through my line again, I am not serving her. That also goes for her kids. Yes, I do get my share of SC's, but most of them will accept that if a price check comes back and WE'RE correct, then they'll either get rid of it or pay up.

I'm not spineless, I do not give in as easily....almost ANY pricing adjustment goes through another person before it gets to me...kind of eliminates the "get me a manager!" step, because if the manager says no, then it's final. Unless they have some proof that they deserve said discount, then they don't get the discount (and we do not give out freebies for complaints).
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
        If she'd said to her kids "now study hard so you'll wind up like fireheart"
        What she should say.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Ah, Fireheart, I meant nothing personal against you or your manager in general. It just aggravates me to see rude people get discounts they're not entitled to, just because they whine or rant about it. The SC kids might've pushed me over the edge.

As a cashier, I have the ability to adjust prices (within reason). If it's just a dollar or so, I'll change the price because it really isn't worth the aggravation of waiting for a price check..and waiting...and waiting...while the customer becomes more irate. I'll also do it if the person gets up in my face and is a jerk. Why? Because although I hate giving in (and also hate the SC, oh yes), it's easier to get rid of a screaming twerp making a scene than to stand my ground on principle. My sanity is also worth more than that and after a long shift of retail, the last thing I want or need is a losing argument. It still burns me, though.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
          X