Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's one thing about small towns... if someone says "I know the owner!" you can almost say "who doesn't?" in the few times they aren't saying it to the actual owners (the owners run and pretty much are the only people in companies in my town - the small ones at least dealing with public)

Always funny when they make some comment -- and people have a good reply to put people in their place

Comment

I had someone throw the "I know the owner" line. Problem Is I work at a 350+ store company that is a subsidiarity of a publicly traded company in Europe.

Comment

http://www.customerssuck.com/strip/i...ate=2006-10-30

Rapscallion

Comment

Just yesterday I went into a store and said "hey, eric still owns this place doens't he?" (I went to school with his wife ).

But never even implied anything about discounts or anything, in fact I got MORE than I had originally wanted because I try to somewhat support the family.

Comment

Some friends of mine own a convenience store. Most of the time, if they themselves are serving, they'll give me a discount (unasked). If I go in there and they're not serving, I don't get a discount. I just pay full price, happy that I'm helping out my friends by buying stuff from their store.

I think the "he's in the back" thing is brilliant. Even if they are calm and go "oh okay" bring out random Joe X from the back room. Bet ya they'll believe he's the owner and stammer some sort of "well someone else used to own this shop" thing.

Comment

Never got "I know the owner" (seeing as how I work for a big corporation with about 1000 stores), but I did once get "the manager told me (some outrageous thing I know she never would have agreed to). She was standing right behind the guy straigtening out a display table.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                Some friends of mine own a convenience store. Most of the time, if they themselves are serving, they'll give me a discount (unasked). If I go in there and they're not serving, I don't get a discount. I just pay full price, happy that I'm helping out my friends by buying stuff from their store.

I think the "he's in the back" thing is brilliant. Even if they are calm and go "oh okay" bring out random Joe X from the back room. Bet ya they'll believe he's the owner and stammer some sort of "well someone else used to own this shop" thing.
                Even though I don't know them too well, I usually get a discount if one of the managers at my favorite Subway rings me up. I never ask, I just let it happen. If someone else rings me up they charge me full price and I happily pay.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Closest thing to this I ever got was from the Senile Old Lady that comes by the wholesale club seemingly every day.

For the longest time, she'd always say (and always in a joking manner) "I don't have to pay for this, I'm the boss' mistress!"

Never mind that the male GM at the time turned out to be gay.

I always just humored her and would say, "Well, we'll ring this up, and you go talk to him and see if he'll refund it for you."
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                  X