Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An absence of suckitude comes to an end...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An absence of suckitude comes to an end...

Hey all. Haven't been on here in a while, mainly cuz' I haven't really had any sucky customers! I work at my father's small sporting goods store, and rarely ever do we have a terrible customer. Oh sure we have the people that try to negotiate everything (We're a used and new sort of store... think "_____ it _____, sam") like we didn't appraise and price it before, but we stand firm.

Now, my dad gives me some power but not all. He's the owner. It is at his discression that crazy services can be done. however, he works 2 hours away counting traffic all day, so in the summer I am covering the store til' 4 PM.

Now for purposes of establishing a scene and telling the story, we have signs EVERYWHERE that state:

Used Product Warranty:

Dear Valued Customer,

We pride ourselves in selling high quality used sporting gear. Each piece of equipment is carefully inspected. However, it is impossible for us to knwo how the previous owner(s) cared for their product. As a result we are unable to warranty any of our used merchandise. This includes anything that breaks during the (7) day return period. Please note that all of our NEW product is under warranty directly from the manufacturer

Basically, we don't do extended warranties, we're individually owned and do 1100 dollars a day avg. Our "back room" also is only big enough to hold our ice skate sharpener and boxes of tape.

COM = Crotchety Old Man
    Me = MOI!

COM comes in, says he bought a set of used golf clubs yesterday. He says 20 minutes after he bought the used teen set outside, he noticed his 3-Wood was no good when he got it home. He then brings the 3-Wood inside, a RAM G-Force, and it has a FISSURE all around the top you could nearly stick your finger in. I mean all around the top rim of the club was CRACKED, and there was a chip in the side like someone had smashed it.

OK, maybe it happens. Only the owners took used sets the time that came in, and believe me they scrutinize EVERYTHING for tings and scratches, so there was possibly no way that the club had it when it came in; however we keep used clubs outside during the day so we figured maybe another customers kids screwed around with it and put the head cover back on without us knowing...

So COM calls yesterday, talks to the guy that sold them to him, he says to come back with them and to call around 5 to talk to the owner. He doesn't do that. Instead he comes in at 10:30 AM and talks to me.

After confirming with dad, the only thing I could do was RETURN the set (THAT WE DONT GUARANTEE FOR A FULL REFUND) since we price them BY THE SET. He also forgot how much he paid for the set and didn't have a reciept, and brought only the bad 3-Wood in. I told him this twice and he said "well ok, I'd rather keep the other clubs so let me look at your lefty 3 Woods..."

After I spent time helping him find a lefty 3 wood, I offered to do a higher trade-in value on some 9-12 aged golf clubs to put towards the replacement 3 Wood; 45% as opposed to 30%. The follwing exchange happened...

COM: Well -holds up G-Force club- this should be an even trade. It's a bad club in a set. You sold me a bad club!
    Me: -explains Used Product Warranty- And sir, I've told you I will fully refund your money if you bring in your whole set and your reciept.
    COM: I live all the way in BLahtown10minutsaway !! You sold me a bad club!
    Me: Sir we're a small store we don't have those 3-Woods to do an even exchange. This is a different type, different cc measurement, thicker head; It's not in my discression to just swap part of a set out with no reciept for another club.
    COM: Yeah but its YOUR FAULT!
    Me: Yes, perhaps it went under the radar, but I've already explained to you what I can do for you. I can give you a FULL. REFUND. Once the owner is in today, he can work with you to maybe swap another leftie 3-Wood out for you. I can-
    COM: No no, this is bullshit.

The then throws the club into my rack of hockey sticks. This gets my adrenaline pumping of course, but I try to breathe like I learned in qi gong and remain calm and settled.

Me: I've given you more than I already should, I've checked with the owner and laid every option out what more do you want?
    COM: Give me one reason why you won't do this!
    Me: The owner said so, and we've given you a great option for a FULL REFUND.
    COM: Not good enough!
    Me: OK, fine, having worked in retail for years, we -spouts off Used Product Warranty sign- can't prove that it didn't happen after you took it home or before it left the store. I can't just do an exchange without a reciept. Bring in the full set. I'll return it no questions asked, because I know it's my set, if I see the blue bag even without a reciept, but this club could be any RAM G-Force. I have to know it came from MY SET.
    COM: Oh see now you're questioning my integrity, young lady, do not question my god damned integrity.
    Me: If that's how you feel about it.

He then rambles on more and more and I just go "ok. ok. ok. I already told you what we can do. ok... OK..."

Someone else comes in the store and he starts screaming about our bad business. It got to the point where I told him to leave or I was calling the police. I'm still laughing at this.

A year a go this would've wrecked me.

...Aaand he just came in, receipt in hand, returned it and apologized to me repeatedly.

Hell froze over.

Comment

ooo

nice

Comment

Wooo.

Doesn't it give you tinglies and goosebumps when they admit fault? It's like someone walking over your grave, and you wonder if you just entered the twilight zone.

But I think I would have called the police as soon as he threw the club; that's a show of force and agression right there and you could definetly say you felt threatened.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
          Wooo.

Doesn't it give you tinglies and goosebumps when they admit fault? It's like someone walking over your grave, and you wonder if you just entered the twilight zone.

But I think I would have called the police as soon as he threw the club; that's a show of force and agression right there and you could definetly say you felt threatened.
          I could, but I for some reason just can't feel threatened by a 76 year old man. I asked him to leave and he finally did; Had he shown more signs of aggression, maybe baring his teeth more or something I would've but at that point I didn't really feel afraid so maybe it didn't occur to me to call 911.

Comment

Working...
          X