This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signs of miscommunication

Haven't posted in this section for a while since I haven't actually been working the past year. *sigh*

But things are looking up. Been working as a lifeguard at the local theme park, and now have a job at the new blue store they're building in my area.

Yet with only a week of work, I already have stories from lifeguarding.

Mostly with signs.

Two of our rides are on the same tower. Body and Tubes. Both have the same height requirement. 48 inches. Not difficult right?

Until I get cussed at, yelled at, had tubes thrown at me, etc. because I wouldn't let little Johnny or Suzy go down because they're too small. >.<

Or then this guy. His kid was the right height. Cutting it close, but good. His kid had a wristband telling his height...but we're not allowed to go by that. The hard park gives those to the kids while they're wearing shoes. Kid's not wearing shoes anymore...so...

SC: "Why're ya measurin' him? He's got a wristband!"
    Me: "He's really close, sir, so I just need to make sure."
    SC: "But he's got the band! And he's rode this four times already!"
    Me: "I cannot go by that, sir. It's given out by the hard park while he's wearing shoes. He's no longer wearing shoes, so his height may change..."
    SC: "Then why do I go through the trouble of gettin' this done, if it ain't gonna do any good."
    Me: "I'm sorry sir, but I have to go by policy..."

And repeat until he finally focused enough to set himself up to go down the slide >.<

And favorite line from being on body tube in response to telling somebody they can't go down thanks to the metal circles in the pockets of guys' swim trunks: "They should have a sign!"

We have one. It's at the entrance. Teal with white.

"It should be bigger!"

I'll be glad to switch jobs...
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Quoth Kheldarson View Post

And favorite line from being on body tube in response to telling somebody they can't go down thanks to the metal circles in the pockets of guys' swim trunks: "They should have a sign!"

We have one. It's at the entrance. Teal with white.

"It should be bigger!"

I'll be glad to switch jobs...

I have seen this too many times. I am an amusement park junky. Last year I took my kids to Worlds of Fun in KC and there was a woman having a screaming hissy fit because they wouldn't let her son go on one of the coasters. Not only was there a sign as you enter the line for the ride, all of the maps have size limits posted and there were multiple reminders on the way up the very very long line.

I felt sorry for the kid, but not the mom. Anybody with a brain knows there is no way 36 is stretching to 48 inches, I don't care how hard they yank on the poor little guy's shoulders, tell him to stand up straight, or push him up on his tip toes.
    Tamezin

Comment

Quoth tamezin View Post
      Anybody with a brain knows there is no way 36 is stretching to 48 inches, I don't care how hard they yank on the poor little guy's shoulders, tell him to stand up straight, or push him up on his tip toes.
      The rack! The rack!
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
        The rack! The rack!
        Yes, and we certainly could use that for some very deserving SC's.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I kind of have to agree with the dad though. It's stupid of the park to even give out the wristbands if they're not going to do any good. Just dispense with them and let the guards measure at the ride anyway.

Do you actually have a tape or do you have one of those "you must be this tall" things you just stand the kid up against?

Comment

We have the "must be this tall" signs. See, I don't quite disagree with the dad, but the simple fact is that the wristband is mostly meant for the hard park--the roller coasters and such. He can go anywhere in the hard park and that thing's good. Just not for us because again he's no longer wearing shoes. It's a silly system, but a lot of things at the park are silly.
            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I've noticed as a lifeguard that nobody reads signs. It's like everyone loses the ability to read as soon as they smell chlorine.

Comment

Working...
              X