This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why bother?

Just got back from a 3 day trip so exhausted and I would say that the majority of passengers were not very nice, with a few very nice exceptions.

I was speaking to another flight attendant who has been flying for much longer than me and we both agree that pax are getting ruder and we no longer bother going the extra mile.

Around 50% of pax ignore us on boarding
    Around 50% ignore or argue with my safety and security instructions
    Around 50% say no please or thank you or not even a smile or acknowledgmemnt

I take safety and secuurity seriously as that is my job. BUT everything else...I don't bother too much with. I'm polite, do the job as laid down by service standards etc but nothing else. If they ask for an extra drink/pillow/blanket/pen etc I will 'forget' or not be able to find one.

Of course if the pax is nice when they ask me for something I will get it for them. Unfortunately the vast majority don't seem to be very nice at all!

I have a month left at work woooooooooooooooooooooooo Then I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. No more customers!
    No longer a flight atttendant!

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
    J
    I take safety and secuurity seriously as that is my job.
    You see it as being there to make sure they're safe, they see it as you stopping them from doing what they want.
    Last edited by Ree; 07-02-2009, 11:15 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

I for one really appreciated the flight attendants on my last flight. My wife had back pain, not only were did the attendants let her use the wheelchair lift to get on the plane, also they lent her some pillows and occasionally checked on her during the flight. (It turned out to be an injury that could have become permanent if we hadn't had it treated not long after that flight)

Comment

I love flight attendants. Every flight I've ever had, they've been sweet, cheeky, and helpful.
        "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

It just seems as if more and more people have such a sense of entitlement that they are unwilling to listen to the instuctions of the cabin crew...all lawful commands from the crew MUST be obeyed under aviation law...yet we get so much attitude daily off people. I always say "it's for YOUR safety not mine."

I think that's why I hate flying so much, people are just so awful.

I don't know how people do the job for thirty years +. Or how some of the crew stay so happy and perky. I can't bring myself to smile at work now!
          No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

I will NEVER understand why SCs are rude to people who's job it is to save their collective arses if it all goes wrong.
            I've very, very nice to Flight Attendants - they have a potentially rough job & do it with a (sometimes forced) smile on their face. I try to make it a little less forced, simply to even out the crap they get from the SC/EWs. SCEW...Have I just coined a phrase?

Comment

I never understood how people could be such pricks on a plane. Seems to me that if I am stuck in a bouncing sardine can with a hundred other smelly, sweaty people, at least I'm not on my feet WORKING. As miserable as a flight may be (and most aren't miserable at all) I figure the flight attendants have it much worse, so why in the world would I antagonize them? In general, I don't want people jumping on my ass while I work so why the hell would I do it to somebody else?

To my knowledge I've only been rude to flight attendants once, and that was a slightly unique circumstance. The previous flight I had taken (same airline, same airport) had lost my bag - forever. For the next flight my wife and I packed everything we needed for the week in 2 duffel bags. I would NOT be separated from the bags. As I boarded the plane they tried to get me to check the bags but I kinda bullied my way through and stowed them safely (if a bit snugly) in the overhead compartment. Sorry, I'm not buying underwear in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico again. I might have ruffled some feather sthat time - sorry, but I had a good reason.
              Hmm...more zombies than usual...

Comment

Quoth Gruesome View Post
                Pricks on a plane...
                Wasn't that a movie starring Samuel Jackson?
                Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Flight Attendants ROCK!

I was on a flight from Düsseldorf to Crete and me and my two buddies were sat in different rows. The plane wasn't crowded so we thought we could sit together. I asked the FA.

ME: Hey, can me and my buddies sit in one row?
                  FA: *totally serious* if you pay a 15 euro service and re-seating fee.
                  ME: *confused* wah?
                  FA: Hahaha, just kidding, of course you can!
                  ME: Hahaha, nice.

We also had a greek FA on that flight that made an announcement. She did it in German but totally failed, started to laugh manically and stumbled through it. The FA from above laughed so hard... The whole plane was listening carefully and CHEERED and CLAPPED like mad, when she was done. Great entertainment value.
                  http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
                  Melody Gardot

Comment

Eh, my experience has always been good. Mostly.

American Airlines, though. Mother. Fuckers.

I was flying on a contract, and this shithead hipster decided he HAD to have a cigarette on the flight. So he gets up and goes over to the lav, and lights up.

Well, this happens to be one of my planes. I say my planes, because I was on the team that installed those lavatories and the smoke detectors. I know the specs. I also know the panel that lights up with a big buzzing sound on the flight panel for the captain when someone even lights a MATCH in there.

So, off this FA goes down the row to find out WHO WAS SMOKING IN THE LAVATORY. Really, honey, it's not that hard. Look for the people who smell like fresh cigarette smoke. She stops by me, who is trying, in vain, to stuff my gear back in my bag, and says, "DID YOU SMOKE IN THERE?"

"No."
                    "It's against the law you know. I'm going to have to confiscate your cigarettes."
                    Oh fuck no you're not.
                    "You're going to confiscate the cigarettes of someone who has sealed packs that are unbroken? Who is currently on the patch for the flight, huh?"
                    "It's a crime!"
                    "Okay, you know what? Check four aisles back, the jackass in the black glasses. See if he smells like fresh smoke. If he doesn't, you can have them."
                    She comes back after ten minutes and says, "Well I need to make sure you don't smoke."
                    I roll my eyes and say, "Lady, it's part number FDS1238X43, model 43, connected to FP9, disconnectable using a AA battery and a plug with a bypass switch. If I want to smoke in your aircraft I'm smart enough not to do it with my own equipment on sending alerts to the co-pilot's seat."
                    Stammer, stammer stammer.
                    I hold up the badge. "Or you can take my cigarettes and explain to the VP of Operations why you're harassing the guy who's on his way to fix six of these fucking things."

Kthanksbye.

Comment

Quoth Gruesome View Post
                      I never understood how people could be such pricks on a plane.
                      New movie out next season - Pricks on a Plane! Don't miss it! LOL

But seriously, I never understood how people could be such pricks. Never mind any reasons why you should be nice in particular to FA's. They are people that are greeting you, serving you, informing you. It doesn't matter to me whether they're FAs or ushers at a theatre. They greet you, you smile and say hello. They inform, you watch. They ask you stuff you say your please and thank yous.

FAs shouldn't be held to higher respect standards than everyone else - but everyone should be treating them with respect anyway. They're human and they're interacting - a smile and hello doesn't take any effort.

Comment

Our experiences with flight attendants is quite unique - my wife is handicapped and we usually have 1-2 service dogs with us.

So far, I have to say Delta rocks when it comes to this. They never fail us. While everyone is seated but we haven't taken off yet, they offer us a cup of ice for the dogs (better than water at times). As soon as we take off and they can get up (before they start serving and before we can get up) - they check on us and offer ice. Once even let Zorro sit on the seat between us (we usually get all 3 bulkhead sets for the two of us and dog(s). When they bring the carts out they ALWAYS stop and look to make sure they aren't going to run over a tail or foot.

We've had some extremely bad experiences, though, like the one time my wife was banned from flying *and* the police met her at the gate. What caused all of this? "The passenger would not give up her crutches" (mind you - she had just had hip surgery and the crutches were ATTACHED to her arms). (This was pre-9/11).

Another airline routinely refuses to help my wife with her carryon (putting it in the overhead bin). You'd think the fact that she can't reach the bin AND has a service dog they'd at least make an exception to help her a little? Nope - flatly told "It's not my job".

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                        But seriously, I never understood how people could be such pricks. Never mind any reasons why you should be nice in particular to FA's. They are people that are greeting you, serving you, informing you. It doesn't matter to me whether they're FAs or ushers at a theatre. They greet you, you smile and say hello. They inform, you watch. They ask you stuff you say your please and thank yous.
                        These are the people who you may rely on to SAVE YOUR LIFE. Remember the plane that landed in the Hudson a few months back? Orderly evacuation AND a level headed flight crew made that evacuation possible with almost NO injuries, let alone deaths.
                        Quote Dalesys:
                        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Gruesome View Post
                          Sorry, I'm not buying underwear in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico again.
                          I camped on the beach there many years ago.

Quoth draggar View Post
                          These are the people who you may rely on to SAVE YOUR LIFE. Remember the plane that landed in the Hudson a few months back? Orderly evacuation AND a level headed flight crew made that evacuation possible with almost NO injuries, let alone deaths.
                          Not to mention that if you're too much of an asshole, they can prevent you from flying that day and cause you to have a little visit with TSA.

Speaking of, I need to call them....
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

It also pays to be nice to reservation agents and travel agents.

It sucks to be stuck in a center seat near the lavatory on a cross country or trans-atlantic flight, simply because you we're a raving asshole to the person with the power of booking your seat.

Not that I would know ANYTHING about that!

"So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Gruesome View Post
                              pricks on a plane.
                              Starring Samual L Jackson as Princess Katie Air Hostess.

"I've had it with these mothering pricks on this mothering plane."
                              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Working...
                              X