This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pub Kitchen != Fast Food

I don't know if it's the sports events on recently in the UK (under 21 football, Wimbledon, england qualifiers) that bring these people out, or the weather (REALLLLY HOT, we're talking 100000% humidity ), but the past month or so I've put up with more of these than I have during the entire year of working.

Background: I am a pub cook, working at a pub that is part of a student-oriented chain. Hence, the 'entitlement bitch' seems to be prevalent (no offence to any students, of course).

One incedent - World Cup Qualifier on Sky Sports. The place is rammed, and the manager has taken over cooking whilst I run plates back and forth. A customer orders a large portion of chips. Once the order is produced and I run it out the customer (who is sat in the upstairs balcony, away from the football) decides that 20 minutes was a horrendous wait for food and decides it's my fault since I'm wearing chef clothes.

Another - A young man orders chips with bacon and cheese (mmm, nutritious!) during another busy period (I forget what was on), and then complains 5 minutes later because his food wasn't RIGHT THERE when he ordered it .

One more - Another young man orders a burger, and on asking how long the food will take is told it would be around 15 mins (it wasn't busy this time). 10 minutes later, he is practically foaming at the mouth because his food was taking longer than he was told. At which point, my KP decides to walk into the kitchen, explain to me what is happening (I was unaware at this point) and take the ticket with the order on it and crucially the time the order was placed. Funnily enough, the customer shut his trap after that .

I mean, for freshly cooked-to-order food, we normally aim for 20 mins in non busy periods, and 30-40 mins when the place is rammed. I think that is perfectly reasonable, and the customer will be told if is expected to take longer. I guess some people think that ordering small, easy to cook dishes mean that they will get to jump the queue, unfortunately that isn't the case. Either that, or they think it's McDonalds.
    Last edited by Noo_Noo; 07-03-2009, 08:01 PM.

Dear lord this reminds me of my experience with some lady who I thought was going to break my fingers off. We have these really neat fryers in our deli right? They take at most 3 minutes depending on what you get...some stuff can go in with other stuff and some stuff has to wait. Some lady must have thought that our deli was McDonalds because when she came up to the register she was yelling at me about "has this ever been for the CUSTOMER?! I have NINE MINUTES!" And I was thinking..."You do know we have to MAKE the food, right?" She had a ton of kids meals, and those generally have stuff from the fryer.

It's not just sitting around, lady, it has to be cooked. When I handed back her credit card she tore it from my fingers but caught my fingers as well and it felt like she was going to break them. I don't think these people understand that I don't know they existed until they come up to the register.

Comment

It speaks to the times we are in. People worldwide are becoming accustomed to INSTANT gratification for whatever it is they want. Any amount of waiting= outrageous. It's disgusting.

Comment

Some students need to sort themselves out, big time. I'm a student myself and I just find myself shaking my head at half of them.

Also, the heat has been odd in the UK. As its been really hot, but without the sunlight you'd normally expect. All we get is mainly grey skies with humidity. Although, while it's warm, I'm not complaining.

Comment

I'm complaining. I'm built for cold climates and it's killing me.

Last night was the first coolish night for some time, and I was getting a decent night's sleep for once. That's when the alarm company called me for the alarm going off at work. One am.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Noo_Noo View Post
            I mean, for freshly cooked-to-order food, we normally aim for 20 mins in non busy periods, and 30-40 mins when the place is rammed. I think that is perfectly reasonable, and the customer will be told if is expected to take longer. I guess some people think that ordering small, easy to cook dishes mean that they will get to jump the queue, unfortunately that isn't the case. Either that, or they think it's McDonalds.
            There's a small burger place just a stone's throw from where I work. Sometimes I'll walk there for lunch. They have the best burgers, and they grill them fresh. Since they're 1/2 pounders, they take awhile. Like you said, it's not McDonald's.

Apparently they've had problems with people who can't seem to grasp this concept, because they have a sign up at the counter:

"Burgers take time to cook. If you can't wait, or think it should be done as soon as you order, get something else! -- The Burger Nazi"
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

-then of course there's the whole "I'm in soooo much of a hurry, and I need it NAO OMG I can't waaaait" (or, apparently, go somewhere else that would be faster? or, you know, just generally plan your time better?) ... only to, after they get served and finish eating, just SIT THERE at the table for at *least* another HOUR. ... So, you were in so much of a rush you could "only" manage to squeeze in a 2-3 hour lunch break??

Ok, I understand wanting to relax and take your time, I myself don't like being rushed through a meal, but... not after having a heart attack over the phone about how you NEEED your food ready NOW and waiting for you on a table when you get there (which "request" we actually had the time and space to accomodate, and did) because you're in a HUGE hurry.

Also, c'mon- a teeny little super-casual restaurant, tucked away in a grocery store parking lot, that holds maybe 40 chairs tops, isn't exactly a "dine and recline" kind of place anyway...

and taking up that one table for the amount of time that we could have had at least 2 other tables in and out (and maybe one of THEM would have left more than the dreaded "verbal tip")?

Classy!

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                Dear lord this reminds me of my experience with some lady who I thought was going to break my fingers off. We have these really neat fryers in our deli right? They take at most 3 minutes depending on what you get...some stuff can go in with other stuff and some stuff has to wait. Some lady must have thought that our deli was McDonalds because when she came up to the register she was yelling at me about "has this ever been for the CUSTOMER?! I have NINE MINUTES!" And I was thinking..."You do know we have to MAKE the food, right?" She had a ton of kids meals, and those generally have stuff from the fryer.

It's not just sitting around, lady, it has to be cooked. When I handed back her credit card she tore it from my fingers but caught my fingers as well and it felt like she was going to break them. I don't think these people understand that I don't know they existed until they come up to the register.
                That would be classed as assault in my opinion.

Personally, I aim for 30-45 minutes for my food at a restaurant. An hour and it better be one of the best meals I have ever had. Doesn't it occur to these genuises that, well, if there is alot of people, maybe, JUST MAYBE their food might take a 'little' longer???

Comment

Quoth Noo_Noo View Post
                  (REALLLLY HOT, we're talking 100000% humidity ),
                  I must've told you a million times: don't exagerate!
                  Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

Working...
                  X