This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I HATE the 4th.

I do. I really, really do. Especially in a tourist trap like the one I work in. Grah!

Alright. To those of you who happen to be in Kennebunk/Kennebunk Port this weekend:

1.) If you have a super important BBQ planned for the evening, show up when we open. Yes, I'm serious. If you don't, you'll be one of the people bitching at me as I'm attempting to close the store because we were fricken RANSACKED all day.

2.) If you are one of the people who didn't have enough forethought to realize that 10lbs of ribs wouldn't be enough to feed the 20+ people that are showing up at your house, thus making you rush in last minute, don't be surprised if your pickings are slim.

3.) THERE IS NO NUMBER THREE!

4.) Yes, yesterday the weather sucked. It's Maine, it happens. I'm sorry I can't control the weather for you and make your picnic on the beach more pleasant while I'm stuck in here dealing with you people all day.

5.) If you are a tourist, and are not a regular tourist whom I see every summer like clockwork, DO NOT get pissed if I have to ID you for alcohol. You look like you're still in your teens. Most people would be happy about that, so shut up. I'm not losing my job so that you can get out of here without the inconvenience of pulling your ID out've your damn wallet.

6.) Yes, we're busy. Yes, it's been like this all day, so no, it wouldn't have mattered if you had shown up an hour ago. In fact, it's slower now than it's been all day. I don't need you reminding me how swamped we are. Now shush, swipe the card and leave so I can take care of the next customer and get you all on your merry way because there's a line down the aisle waiting for you to move your ass.

7.) Speaking of lines! DON'T bitch about having to wait in line. We only have five registers. We're a small store. So if we have several hundred fucking people crammed inside all trying to check out at the same time, you're going to wait in line like everyone else and like it.

</rant>

I'm reeeeeally not looking forward to being at work today T_T
    I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

We don't have Independance Day in the UK. Obviously.

But I feel your pain!
    No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Not looking forward to today. My only hope is that maybe, just some of the SCs will realize they have somewhere better to be on the 4th than a frikkin' bookstore, buying overpriced frou-frou drinks.

Comment

You could celebrate the 3rd! I know a guy (who's British, and lives here) who has a party every year on 3rd to celebrate the last day of their rule over us (or something.)

Comment

Gosh, I never thought of it like this.

If, during a holiday that comes around at the exact same time every year, I forgot about some cheap utensil or vital ingredient that would make the whole party work a little more smoothly, and the store doesn't have the utensil or ingredient I need because of the aforementioned easily-predicted holiday, it's obviously the fault of the minimum-wage nametag who can't solve the humongous cataclysm I created through my own forgetfulness, procrastination, or just plain stupidity instead of me!

I feel so much better about myself. Artificially-induced self-esteem generated through abusing people I mistakenly perceive as lower on the totem pole than me is just as fun and practical as the real thing!

Oh, and by the way, meat grills just as beautifully in a broiler or toaster oven as it does outside on hot coals. (I know. I checked.) I'm in Maine, it's the Fourth of July, and there's no sign of that bright shiny yellow thing that shows up once in a while and hurts to look at. We have had WEEKS of rain. Consider the possibility that you might be throwing your party indoors and plan accordingly.

Love, Who?

Comment

You have my sympathies. I have to work today and will spend all day telling people 'Sorry we cannot get any deliveries out today. Why? Because it's a holiday and all florists are closed. No ma'am, no sir, I cannot force a florist to reopen just for you.."
            "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Oh how i feel your pain. The c-store will be busy tonight, I'm sure. I MIGHT get to sneak out to the parking lot to watch teh fireworks, if I'm not busy at the time (pray for me). Oh and by the way--Why is it that EVERYONE wants to use our bathroom between the parade and fireworks? And I'm sure we'll get plenty of "Are you out of x in the cooler? OMG!!" to which we'll have to reply "No ma'am/sir we just haven't had time to get in and stock it just yet considering it's been busy today." and I'll ahve to go search for whatever x is to appease them. Joy. Oh, yes, and re: #5 on your list--I HATE people who argue about being ID'd! It is the law, let me repeat THE LAW that we ID and make sure that you are of LEGAL age (and yes, that the two little young looking things with you are as well) before we even attempt to sell you that beer/chew/cigs/whatever. Get. Over. It.
              "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

first off greetings from a fellow kennebunk beach/port permenant tourist/resident.

second...the booze is freshly stocked in my new kitchen...help yourself...the party isn't till next week and *I* have the foresite to refresh the supply for my house warming party.

third...dude my heart felt sympathies.
                It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth 4love View Post
                  Not looking forward to today. My only hope is that maybe, just some of the SCs will realize they have somewhere better to be on the 4th than a frikkin' bookstore, buying overpriced frou-frou drinks.
                  One of the good things about working the 4th of July in Store1 - they're right next to the racetrack where they do fireworks, so the store closes early (7:00 when I was there). It's generally pretty dead, anyway, and the people that do come in are just using the bathroom or killing time. And the parking lot fills up with people who are just there for the fireworks, so it's really rather pointless to stay open once the people start showing up for that. Starbucks stays open, though, cuz people actually go there and buy stuff.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I couldn't believe how out of control the local grocery was in town yesterday (I went to the last town I lived in for a party yesterday afternoon and needed to pick up soda pop and a cake). Did NO ONE go shopping, oh I don't know, sometime during the week to get all of their stuff for the 4th? I can only imagine what the stores looked like today....and probably STILL look like.

Good lord, people.

Unfortunately, I ran out of smokes so I need to get more for tonight....but I always have my ID on me
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Get a couple of the biggest people to be bouncers, set up a line, and charge 'em a dollar per person to use the toilet. Free with a $5.00 purchase and the 'bouncer' marks the reciept with a highlighter so people can't reuse them.
                      Management wmight like the idea of either easy money, or the non-buyers go elsewhere. and if the non-buyers do go elsewhere, shorter lines for the actual customers. lol

Comment

Today at my store it was not a busy as I though it would be. We have a big parade that runs from 10-12 ish that make it hard to get to the store from the direction where most of our customers come from.

We had a rush after the parade than after that is was fairly constant and much slower. I would imagine that our store along the shore were much much busier.

For some reason this year Corp decided to NOT close the store earlier. We stayed open to 11PM as normal. In the past they closed the stores at 8 or 9 while closing the bakery, meat and seafood at 6 leaving just deli and non-perishable employees. I had a CW text me at 7:00 PM saying that were asked if they wanted to leave as there were literally maybe 15-20 customers in the entire store.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                          ... and the 'bouncer' marks the reciept with a highlighter ...
                          A YELLOW highlighter, right?
                          What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                            In the past they closed the stores at 8 or 9 while closing the bakery, meat and seafood at 6 leaving just deli and non-perishable employees.
                            Emphasis mine...

I'm sorry, that just made me laugh so hard.
                            No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
                              We don't have Independance Day in the UK. Obviously.
                              Oh? Whyever not? I figure you'd be glad to be rid of us
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X